Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Relam

Telepathy ??!

98 posts in this topic

Goddess of the Mist
On 7/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, ChrLzs said:

You have the hide to reply like that after suggesting it was to do with quantum entanglement???  My (rather obvious) analogy to fairyland is no worse.....

And frankly, to imply pity/being sorry for others is to suggest that you are the superior mortal, and/or know secrets that others are not worthy of or smart enough.  And that's not something to be proud of.

No, science doesn't yet know all the answers.  Why should/would it?  And why should that then mean that any old stupid, magical or irrelevant explanation (aka wild-assed guess) is therefore worthy, especially when that beauty and complexity of the real world DOES/CAN explain the observations if you think it through or look properly at how the study/experiment was designed.  Feel free to point out an example of telepathy that couldn't simply be coincidence/empathy (and a thousand other *real* possibilities), rather than require the silly suggestion of quantum effects or faWheniries or paranormal whatever.  

My earlier post was gentle, but given your reply maybe this one might get you to check the mirror?  I doubt it, but worth a try.

Can I suggest calming down a bit?  When you read a post, please look at the context.  When I spoke of quantum entanglement, I was merely suggesting that the person's post had reminded me of that.  I never said anything had "to do" with it.  Your allegations that I feel "morally superior" to Xeno are ridiculous.  It is you (and Xeno) who enter a thread of which they disagree upon to try to degrade others and act just how you said - morally superior!  As far as being so sorry for Xeno - yes - I AM sorry for someone who is always pessimistic and cynical throughout their everyday life.  I've seen enough of his posts to know his outlook.  So, we can agree to disagree, but how 'bout stick to threads where you see everyone and everything eye to eye.  You check the mirror!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emma_Acid
On 09/07/2018 at 2:58 AM, Goddess of the Mist said:

Not everything has a scientific explanation to just explain it away!  

Not yet, but if it exists, we can study it. "Science doesn't know everything" is not an open invite to woo and nonsense.

XenoFish

If the only thing that a person wants is an echo chamber, the best thing to do is keep it to themselves.

Edited by XenoFish

XenoFish
openozy
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

If the only thing that a person wants is an echo chamber, the best thing to do is keep it to themselves.

I call it telling a story,like you do with your kids and grandkids,whether true or not,who cares,its what every family or tribe have been doing since the beginning of humans.

XenoFish
7 minutes ago, openozy said:

I call it telling a story,like you do with your kids and grandkids,whether true or not,who cares,its what every family or tribe have been doing since the beginning of humans.

I don't have grandkids.

openozy

You sound like how my young brother was, a realist who so wanted to believe but just couldn't bring himself to.

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't have grandkids.

XenoFish
28 minutes ago, openozy said:

You sound like how my young brother was, a realist who so wanted to believe but just couldn't bring himself to.

Switch that around. I used to believe till reality red pilled me. I realized that magical and wishful thinking lead to bad choices, where a critical eye could've prevented them.

XenoFish

Just to add that maybe my currently very critical opinion of the supernatural is a hope that I'm wrong. That I didn't waste over 20 years of my life practicing magick. That it actual meant something. But there's nothing. No gods, no ghost, nor are they spirits, demons, or angels. Just figments of the imagination. Nothing real to it. Maybe I'll be wrong someday.

• Like 2

acute
6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

But there's nothing. No gods, no ghost, nor are they spirits, demons, or angels. Just figments of the imagination. Nothing real to it. Maybe I'll be wrong someday.

The wait is over! You are wrong every day on UM.  The spirit world, and psychic abilities (including premonitions) do exist.

Just because you don't believe, or don't want to believe at this time in your life, doesn't make it all go away.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

openozy
11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Switch that around. I used to believe till reality red pilled me. I realized that magical and wishful thinking lead to bad choices, where a critical eye could've prevented them.

I can relate to that, life is magic in itself but you do have to hold the rudder.It doesn't hurt to dream though.

• Like 1

XenoFish
On 7/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, acute said:

The wait is over! You are wrong every day on UM.  The spirit world, and psychic abilities (including premonitions) do exist.

Of course they exist. People have vivid imaginations. As for premonitions, a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while.

Just because you don't believe, or don't want to believe at this time in your life, doesn't make it all go away.

It would have to exist in order to go away.

Truth is I simply don't care. No amount of effort that anyone could make will change anything. Unless factual and repeatable evidence is presented for psychic abilities, they go in the woo box. Along with bigfoot, little grey aliens, atlantis, and god. 

• Like 1

XenoFish
On 7/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, openozy said:

I can relate to that, life is magic in itself but you do have to hold the rudder.It doesn't hurt to dream though.

You know what happens when a dreamer dies? A cynic is born. 

LightAngel
On 8/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

And I've experienced what the op is talking about way to many times for it to be some chance occurrence.  

Ditto!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ChrLzs

So where are the best examples?  Surely, instead of handwaving about anecdotes, in an age where everyone and their dog carries a mobile phone and camera, and we have surveillance cameras everywhere, etc, etc, there should be some reasonably evidenced examples?

If not, then I think it's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes as exaggerations or misrememberings, or simply occurrences that were nothing more than coincidental happenings or due to intuition/empathy and a hole host of other potential explanations.

Can I ask believers a few simple questions:

1. Wouldn't telepathy, even if it was a 'weak' effect, be of immense usefulness for society?

2. If you agree, why isn't it being studied by reputable organisations, and why aren't there serious efforts to train people in how to do it, available on the web?

3. Would you not agree that if telepathy really existed, it should be trivially easy to test / prove?

Edited by ChrLzs

John from Lowell
9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Can I ask believers a few simple questions:

1. Wouldn't telepathy, even if it was a 'weak' effect, be of immense usefulness for society?

2. If you agree, why isn't it being studied by reputable organisations, and why aren't there serious efforts to train people in how to do it, available on the web?

3. Would you not agree that if telepathy really existed, it should be trivially easy to test / prove?

Hi,

1. Not for those who wish to control the population with lies and deceptions.

2. See answer to question #1.

3. I would not agree with that perception.

John

• Like 3

ouija ouija
9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

So where are the best examples?  Surely, instead of handwaving about anecdotes, in an age where everyone and their dog carries a mobile phone and camera, and we have surveillance cameras everywhere, etc, etc, there should be some reasonably evidenced examples?

^ ^ How will these devices help record telepathic incidences?

If not, then I think it's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes as exaggerations or misrememberings, or simply occurrences that were nothing more than coincidental happenings or due to intuition/empathy and a hole host of other potential explanations.

^ ^ How do you make the mental leap from 'Telepathic incidences can't be recorded' to 'It's quite reasonable to dismiss unsupported anecdotes etc.'?

Can I ask believers experiencers :) a few simple questions:

^ ^ As with all things, there is a positive and a negative side to it.  

^ ^ I don't agree, but wonder who you think these 'reputable organisations' would be and how they would go about 'studying' telepathy? Why do you imagine it is something people can be trained to do when it so obviously isn't?

^ ^ Well, I know it really exists and precisely because I have experienced it myself many times, I know it would be impossible to test/prove.

• Like 2

XenoFish

Nothing more than belief perseverance, false positives, and self induced delusions. 

ouija ouija
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing more than belief perseverance, false positives, and self induced delusions. 

And you can prove that by .........?

XenoFish

Sorry Ouija I have you on ignore. So if you could telepathically tell me what you wrote that would be great.:tu:

ouija ouija
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Sorry Ouija I have you on ignore. So if you could telepathically tell me what you wrote that would be great.:tu:

How convenient! :lol: How cleverly you dodged the question you didn't want to answer ..... can't answer.

• Haha 1

XenoFish

I'm sorry. The message isn't coming through. Too much mind static.

XenoFish

Ouija. That's the thing about having people on ignore, you don't have to care about their opinions. For someone who supposedly has me on ignore You need to act like it. You've lost all the respect I had for you. Your word means nothing to me and once the notification issue is resolved I'll be a lot happier.

Wes83
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'll be a lot happier.

Yeah right lol

• Haha 2

XenoFish
6 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Yeah right lol

I don't recall asking you. 

• Haha 1