Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien robots may account for the Fermi paradox

• The title was changed to Alien robots may account for the Fermi paradox

If such an artificial intelligence-based civilization had hostile intentions, how is it that they're not eliminated us? Even traveling at well below the speed of light, they could have filled the galaxy long ago.

I do not believe that the Fermi paradox can be resolved in such simplistic terms. The proposition that we are the only intelligent life in the galaxy seems very improbable. Given the possibilities of territorial expansion, the rarity of such life is really irrelevant. There is no convincing reason why we would not have been found by now, by an elder, technically advanced civilization in our galaxy.    

Edited by bison
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The distances are huge. Resources, not so huge by comparison. Fermi paradox explained by simple logic.

• Like 6

Von Neuman probes, self-replicating robotic space ships and Berserkers, programmed to seek out and exterminate lifeforms.

The argument is either there is no other intelligent life in the galaxy, given that these probes have not appeared, or that intelligent life forms would not develop this technology, and therefore they live too far away from us to easily visit us personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft#Von_Neumann_probes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bison said:

If such an artificial intelligence-based civilization had hostile intentions, how is it that they're not eliminated us?

Because they’re after intelligent life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Von Neuman probes, self-replicating robotic space ships and Berserkers, programmed to seek out and exterminate lifeforms.

The argument is either there is no other intelligent life in the galaxy, given that these probes have not appeared, or that intelligent life forms would not develop this technology, and therefore they live too far away from us to easily visit us personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft#Von_Neumann_probes

As unlikely as it is, we could also be the first or most intelligent life in the galaxy or indeed universe.

But that would be pretty sad!

6 hours ago, bison said:

If such an artificial intelligence-based civilization had hostile intentions, how is it that they're not eliminated us? Even traveling at well below the speed of light, they could have filled the galaxy long ago.

Perhaps the replicator robots have encountered another civilisations replicator robots and are fighting an intergalactic battle, this could keep them occupied for quite some time ? 

If so we could look for signs of that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timonthy said:

As unlikely as it is, we could also be the first or most intelligent life in the galaxy or indeed universe.

But that would be pretty sad!

What?  You're at the absolute top of the universal food chain and you're sad?  You've never had it so good!!  :D

I get what you mean but I think there's plenty to be awed about as you look up at night, especially when you think that everything you see is actually just a small part of our very own galaxy*.

* - OK, that's not entirely true - our nearest neighbor, the Andromeda galaxy, is just visible to the naked eye as are two little satellite galaxies (the Magellanic 'clouds') ... but it's near enough for the point I was trying to make...

• Like 1

Possible. Think about Developing a script and implement it in drones, computers etc to essentially act against humans or the purpose they were designed for... the results ? Catastrophic !

• Like 1

Disease. Famine. War. Genetics / food. Politics. Different priorities. Natural disasters. Age vs distance traversed. Natural catastrophes... The list could go on.

The real reason for the Fermi paradox could simply be a lack of proper investigation. How can we say there  is a paradox.., based on the current lack of evidence? Its as brazen as saying ETs do exist based on the current evidence. Both conclusions are incorrect.

Scientists agree that there is a very high probability aliens exist.., and we most likely would have been visited by now based on the age of the universe.., and our own evolution genetically and technologically. Insufficient study does not equate to a paradox.

I believe they would take a scientific and military approach. They would not land at the Whitehouse asking to see the President and all the things we assume from movies.

Think Diane Fossey. We would view them from a distance first. We would not barge right in and demand to speak to the group leader as this could cause serous shock, pass on diseases and other potential physical, physiological and social issues. Humans would also do the same if we ever encountered a new creature or civilisation. We have in the past.., and will in the future. I have had discussions with scientists about this and they agree no one would simply barge in.

Taking this more likely scenario into consideration.., it is quite possible that some UFO sightings could be real. Rather than ignoring them and trying to dismiss them as hard as possible with all our energy for another 80 + years.., how about we spend 1 year actually looking into it objectively and scientifically rather than relying on witness testimonies to prove or disprove the phenomenon.

Edited by Fila
  • Thanks 1

Or...using Occam's Razor...

there never was any. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find it really hilarious that to explain the fact that we don't have any evidence of alien life, intelligent or otherwise, someone had to come up with something even more outrageous.

It's kind of like saying there are no invisible pink unicorns, but only because invisible giant trolls hunted them all into extinction. 

Go ahead and try and prove that one wrong. Lol. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

One would have to wonder why these alien robots wouldn't have wiped us out. 

Or maybe we aren't smart enough to be considered a threat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe they came and went before there were any 'humans' or any significant life forms of any sort on earth.  We may be on the list for a future check...........:(

• Like 3

This is one of the dumbest theories I've heard of.

The first would be to think we are alone in this incredibly vast universe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will believe it when I see it, or ... perhaps not.

• Like 1

Reason number 642 for why we should not develop A.I.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

* I hereby bagsy a sexy Cylon tulpa in exchange for collaborating.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Possible. Think about Developing a script and implement it in drones, computers etc to essentially act against humans or the purpose they were designed for... the results ? Catastrophic !

The whole mankind whipped out by infected keyboards and external hard disks. Horror!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, Carlos Allende said:

* I hereby bagsy a sexy Cylon tulpa in exchange for collaborating.

And we all now how well that worked out for Baltar. She was all in his head, most of the time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, toast said:

The whole mankind whipped out by infected keyboards and external hard disks. Horror!

You still use a keyboard?  Your not one of the touch screen tablet generation?  Well neither am I. 

• Like 2

On 2018-05-31 at 4:41 PM, toast said:

Well actually I was thinking more about hospitals, military,  satellites etc... thst are controlled by computers.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 1:41 PM, toast said:

Are you kidding?

Windows Vista almost did us in.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, paperdyer said:

You still use a keyboard?  Your not one of the touch screen tablet generation?  Well neither am I. 

I had no idea I was already defunct.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as artificlal intelligence. creation is creation do not project contructs on the fabric of the universe.

"The theory of everything is"

nothing is impossible "nothing doesnt exist"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

Edited by ChristianContactee72
spell check
  • Confused 1