Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Article 13, link tax and the end of fair use

Saru

1 hour ago, Setton said:

This is the EU that the millennial generation are so hell bent on keeping the U.K. in so that we have a say in things like this. 

This will affect everyone, whether EU members or not. If we'd stayed, maybe we could have stopped this. 

Just part of the parcel, we are living in an age of contentedism.

Edited by danydandan

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

The future for Europe?

3lljswlh0ko21.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&s=

Memes are specifically exempt from the legislation. 

You know, because that's what's important about this :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/06/2018 at 6:53 AM, MySummerJob said:

I'm not from the EU, but this is a very worrisome law proposal.

Hopefully the people from EU will be able to fight this, and the lawmakers will listen to the people by making this bill pass. This honestly makes me afraid that if it passes, will somehow effect US, or inspire the US to try something once again.

Bad enough we had to fight SOPA, PIPA, and most recently TPP. It gets tiring after a while, but I fear that might be their strategy to reach the end-goal. Which is to keep hammering us down to the point that people are too sick and tired to fight, or people think bills like these won't come to pass so they stop trying to fight them. Eventually one day they will win, I just hope that won't be in our lifetimes.

Well, keep hoping, we had a democratic vote two and a half years ago to leave the EU and still they will not let us go.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 4:36 AM, Setton said:

Memes are specifically exempt from the legislation. 

You know, because that's what's important about this :D

Yeah, I don't know the exact wording but I feel like "meme" is a pretty ambigious to pen down legally.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems that the bill has now well and truly passed, meaning that there's nothing that can be done now.

Also, it's worth noting that the UK actually supported the bill during the final vote - so Brexit wouldn't have made a difference one way or the other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47933530

The UK has also implemented its own new law designed to block and/or fine websites for hosting loosely-defined 'objectionable' content:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-introduce-world-first-online-safety-laws

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Begs the question of how much the EU reps actually represent their population. 

21 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

its all about perception management and narrative, and the control of it. no wonder it got passed. and the UK govt voted in favour. Brexit, and internet censorship shows the sinister direction were heading in. Its time to bring the system down.

Well,....will UM join the dark web. welcome to the dark side.

image.png.802f513a852bc960a360f9610cca239c.png

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Just now, stevewinn said:

its all about perception management and narrative, and the control of it. no wonder it got passed. and the UK govt voted in favour. Brexit, and internet censorship shows the sinister direction where heading in. Its time to bring the system down.

Well will UM join the dark web. welcome to the dark side.

I think small places like UM were considered "exempt".

I still do not like it one bit.

I am engrossed In YouTube lol, and corporations have been abusing copyright rules on that for years. Trying to take down negative movie reviews and such.

That sort of censorship will only get worse from Article 13. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I still do not like it one bit.

I am engrossed In YouTube lol, and corporations have been abusing copyright rules on that for years. Trying to take down negative movie reviews and such.

That sort of censorship will only get worse from Article 13. 

i can see a fight

22 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

So did I, but apparently that exemption expires the moment your site turns three years old. 

Given that we've been running for 18 years, I seriously doubt we'd qualify.

Also, I'm not even sure if the exemptions clause actually passed at all.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

This is all about money i.e. big businesses influencing lawmakers.

It's the same everywhere.

• Like 1

Ummm.... 

"... However, tweaks to the law subsequently made an exception for content used for the "purposes of quotation, criticism, review, caricature, parody and pastiche"....

Surely that covers the sort of posts we make at UM ? 

8 minutes ago, Saru said:

So did I, but apparently that exemption expires the moment your site turns three years old. 

Given that we've been running for 18 years, I seriously doubt we'd qualify.

Also, I'm not even sure if the exemptions clause actually passed at all.

Thanks for the update.

So do you have any idea what effect it might have on UM?

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Thanks for the update.

So do you have any idea what effect it might have on UM?

Not really, the new copyright laws require sites to pre-emptively detect and remove any user-posted material that might violate copyright, which is impossible because there is no way to automatically determine if any given piece of text is copyrighted or not.

So unless the lawmakers are going to explain how such a thing can be achieved it's all up in the air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saru said:

Not really, the new copyright laws require sites to pre-emptively detect and remove any user-posted material that might violate copyright, which is impossible because there is no way to automatically determine if any given piece of text is copyrighted or not.

So unless the lawmakers are going to explain how such a thing can be achieved it's all up in the air.

Can't you move the site hosting from the USA to China. China doesn't do copyrighting. 

13 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Can't you move the site hosting from the USA to China. China doesn't do copyrighting. 

It doesn't work like that.

40 minutes ago, Saru said:

It doesn't work like that.

How can the EU impose its laws on non eu members? 

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

How can the EU impose its laws on non eu members? 

After GDPR was implemented, quite a few US sites had to resort to blocking all access to EU/UK visitors (and still do).

It's about which countries the site is serving content to, not which country it is hosted in.

That said, I don't know the specifics of how it will be enforced - each country will have to decide how to implement/enforce the new laws.

3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Well,....will UM join the dark web. welcome to the dark side.

Oi you can't have it both ways Steve. You either get to be the plucky rebels taking on the establishment or you get the cool armour and the good lines. You can't have both. 

I'm going to try get a list of all the Irish MEP's who voted in favour of this and post their names. I'll do it here and on Reddit.

Hopefully we can ensure they don't get re-elected in the upcoming elections. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saru said:

After GDPR was implemented, quite a few US sites had to resort to blocking all access to EU/UK visitors (and still do).

It's about which countries the site is serving content to, not which country it is hosted in.

That said, I don't know the specifics of how it will be enforced - each country will have to decide how to implement/enforce the new laws.

The world should let the EU and their rules disappear behind their self imposed iron curtain.

10 hours ago, danydandan said:

I'm going to try get a list of all the Irish MEP's who voted in favour of this and post their names. I'll do it here and on Reddit.

Hopefully we can ensure they don't get re-elected in the upcoming elections. 

Hopefully everyone does that.

I wish I was in Eroupe so I could blatantly cast a vote against these people haha.

I don't care the party, anyone who voted for this should be gone.

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Hopefully everyone does that.

I wish I was in Eroupe so I could blatantly cast a vote against these people haha.

I don't care the party, anyone who voted for this should be gone.

A major component in this is the music industry are lobbying for it. So they have massive amounts money behind them.