Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dunes of frozen methane discovered on Pluto

UM-Bot

Good question Merc.  Perhaps the unique orbit has something to do with it, or dare I say it, Planet X?

at a guess I would say solar winds

11 hours ago, paperdyer said:

or dare I say it, Planet X?

Yes. The only logic explanation for many other intricacies in our solar system. 

13 hours ago, Merc14 said:

What would drive this wind on distant Pluto?

Your question got me to think about this. Anyway's I found this article from NASA that explains about the solar winds.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-s-interaction-with-the-solar-wind-is-unique-study-finds

23 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

at a guess I would say solar winds

Ooops, you beat me to it. Seems your guess might be right.

The solar wind interacts with Pluto's very thin atmosphere, but I have a hard time imagining that it is able to move about particles of methane ice on the surface, the size of sand grains. That's what these dunes are supposed to be made of. 

Pluto's atmosphere is currently about 1/100,000 the density of Earth's, but when nearest the Sun, it calculated that volatile surface ices may be vaporized to form an atmosphere  3 percent to 25 percent as dense as Earth's.

That should certainly be enough to move sand-sized particle about. The dunes may be blown about only during the Plutonian Summer, which comes once every 248 Earth years.