Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Dark_Grey

Subway Restaurants Disappearing?

10 posts in this topic

Dark_Grey
Posted (edited)

You never know what you will find on YouTube. I haven't been to Subway in a while but I also haven't noticed them disappearing. Apparently, sales are down 25% since 2012 and over 300 locations have been closed...

Reasons:

• Not as fresh as they advertise (produce deliveries once a week)
  • Cost not worth it
  • Chicken is only 50% chicken (most other chains are upwards of 85% real chicken)
  • "$5 foot long" deal killed profit margins

Lots more reasons in the video. Subway seems to be a bigger deal in the US than Canada, at least that I've seen. What other comparable sandwich chains do you guys have? We have "Mr. Sub" and a few pita places but I think that's it...otherwise they are all burger joints. I wonder if the healthier menu options at McDonalds, Wendys, etc helped slash Subway sales?

Edited by Dark_Grey

bison

My little town has two Subways, so they could be 'treading on each other's heels'. Quality is less consistent than it used to be; meats as well as vegetables are not always particularly fresh looking. They ran another '$5 foot long', (smaller sandwiches  also reduced) promotion recently. I received multiple sets of the redeemable coupons for this. 

They have some competition here from a deli department at a local 'high end' grocery, and even the Safeway has opened a full service deli now.  Quiznos was here, but only briefly. I understand that that company had serious disputes with many of its franchisees.  

• Like 1

Truthseeker007

I found this:

http://fortune.com/2018/04/25/subway-stores-closing/

Subway restaurants are small in size, but ubiquitous. The chain is the largest in the U.S. by store count of any quick-service chain with nearly 26,000 locations, well above the 14,000 McDonald’s (mcd, +0.07%) restaurants in this country. This has long been a point of pride for the company.

But as Subway faces more intense competition from everyone from a stronger McDonald’s to Panera Bread to Starbucks (sbux, +0.42%), the company is finding it preferable to have nicer restaurants even if that means fewer of them. And competition isn’t limited to direct competitors—everyone from Target (tgt, +0.03%) to Walgreens (wba, +0.91%) has been adding take-out sandwiches to their food offering.

• Like 1

CrimsonKing
Posted (edited)

Well i'm sure the whole "jared" fiasco didn't help with the whole PR side of things...

Secondly their "quality" is garbage!...

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
54 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Well i'm sure the whole "jared" fiasco didn't help with the whole PR side of things...

Secondly their "quality" is garbage!...

Meh, chicken isn't suppose to have bubbles in it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CrimsonKing
Just now, Piney said:

Meh, chicken isn't suppose to have bubbles in it.....

No doubt...and "vegetables" shouldn't have grissle :lol:

• Thanks 1

skliss

We have Jimmmy Johns and Mr. Hero plus a lot of the pizza places also do subs.

Sir Wearer of Hats

They’re doing well here in Oz, but we tend to have ready supplies of most of the ingredients in the local regions so it’s less likely to (god I hope) be full of crappy quality ingredients.

• Like 1

aztek

yea having same gloves when you touch food and do garbage does not help keeping customers

• Like 1

Dark_Grey

It's funny, now that I think about it I noticed a Subway closed for renovations around here the other week. Now I'm wondering if they closed for renovations or if they just...closed. They are right across the parking lot from a McDonalds which does make you wonder.

I have no complaints about the food, though. It seemed fresh enough to me but I find Canadian fast food to be of higher quality all around compared to a lot of American joints I've eaten at. Different quality standards?