Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Babies born on Mars may be new subspecies

UM-Bot

It could be a problem in the long term with people born on Mars unadapted to earth. Laws, rights and inequality are hard to cope with on earth already... it will just bring a bit more to think about.

• Like 1

I don't think this will be an issue, because I don't think we're 'colonizing' mars anytime before 2100. Hell, we barely send anything to space these days, and you can't get nations to agree on political internet trolling much less a new, global space program.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

It could be a problem in the long term with people born on Mars unadapted to earth. Laws, rights and inequality are hard to cope with on earth already... it will just bring a bit more to think about.

if they came to earth would they be classed as immigrants? technically yes i guess :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As long as they name the first male baby born on Mars, 'Marvin'...I'll be truly happy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

As long as they name the first male baby born on Mars, 'Marvin'...I'll be truly happy!

na= mars bar;)

Aww, Martian babies...how cute :wub:

download_2.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dejarma said:

if they came to earth would they be classed as immigrants? technically yes i guess :rolleyes:

Not if they come under the Aegis of a Nation State on Earth.

Separately; I think there would have to be quite a divergence caused by generations of genetic adaptation to a Mars habitat before a separate sub-species would be recognised. That said, living conditions would replicate Earth "normal" in all respects apart from the effects of reduced gravity as radiation would be shielded out

• Like 2

Babies born on Mars would be in Earth environment conditions apart from the gravity aspect, so I can't see how they would be different from babies born on Earth. 

Edited by spud the mackem
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Not if they come under the Aegis of a Nation State on Earth.

yeah but they would be taken in by a country & technically would be classed as an immigrant in that country

edit to add:

sorry, i should say: IMO;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah but they would be taken in by a country & technically would be classed as an immigrant in that country

No, being born on another planet, but under the Aegis of, for arguments sake, the United Kingdom, then they would de facto be "fully-fledged" British endowed with the same rights and responsibilities

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, keithisco said:

No, being born on another planet, but under the Aegis of, for arguments sake, the United Kingdom, then they would de facto be "fully-fledged" British endowed with the same rights and responsibilities

oh, right- well you learn something new every day:)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Children born to parents living in a colony on Mars will be the very definition of the word 'Martian'.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/318513/babies-born-on-mars-may-be-new-subspecies

Wouldnt that imply people living at great hights in the Andes, or (aquatic) people who live on and off the sea are a sub species as well?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

Wouldnt that imply people living at great hights in the Andes, or (aquatic) people who live on and off the sea are a sub species as well?

Some people argue that a lot of species of the Homo genus found could be just geographic and time variation of the same species and they would inbreed has a single species. Some difference are so small that if an anthropologist would have found a skeleton from an asiatic, african, north european, south american and arctic people dated more than 250000 old.... they could probably some in different species because of morphology differences.

The frontier of subspecies and species are subtle if you don't have them alive side by side. Sometimes you can be baffled with what can inbreed and give fertile offspring.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Location is Everything.

If a human baby were wholly conceived and born on Mars (not in transit), they would be a "Martian" with earth parents.

This would be especially true if those conceived and born on Mars conceived and further gave birth wholly on Mars.

2nd generation. They would be Martians, 100%.

Since no intelligent life has yet been found on Mars, that distinction is in no way out-of-order.

But before this, we must have "Moonies"

:o:o:o

17 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids 

Unfortunately, either are some countries on earth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Hermai said:

I'd just settle for the moon actually.

Then your  children would be Lunatics?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, pallidin said:

Location is Everything.

If a human baby were wholly conceived and born on Mars (not in transit), they would be a "Martian" with earth parents.

This would be especially true if those conceived and born on Mars conceived and further gave birth wholly on Mars.

2nd generation. They would be Martians, 100%.

Since no intelligent life has yet been found on Mars, that distinction is in no way out-of-order.

Good call Pallidin. The writer of this article must watch SyFy's Expanse.

A child born and raised on Mars would probably be unable to adapt to living on Earth. Spending their childhoods in a gravity that is a third what we have on Earth would probably never develop the bones structure you would need to come here. Children born and raised on the moon would be even worse off since their bones developed in a gravity one sixth Earths. 

The advantage they would have though is by not living at the bottom of our massive gravity well they would be easily able to move into space. It took a Saturn 5 rocket to get off the Earth to go to the moon but the little lunar lander took them back up and other their way home. If mankind ever becomes a space based species they will be based on the Moon or Mars. The radiation can be dealt with by living underground and then in space we will have to find better shielding but that will come if we ever need it. 

A beanstalk would be a fairly simple project on Mars compared to what it would take on Earth.