Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experimental evidence for parapsychological..

rashore

Cardeña, E. (2018). The experimental evidence for parapsychological phenomena: A review. American Psychologist. Advance online publication........

Abstract

This article presents a comprehensive integration of current experimental evidence and theories about so-called parapsychological (psi) phenomena. Throughout history, people have reported events that seem to violate the common sense view of space and time. Some psychologists have been at the forefront of investigating these phenomena with sophisticated research protocols and theory, while others have devoted much of their careers to criticizing the field. Both stances can be explained by psychologists’ expertise on relevant processes such as perception, memory, belief, and conscious and nonconscious processes. This article clarifies the domain of psi, summarizes recent theories from physics and psychology that present psi phenomena as at least plausible, and then provides an overview of recent/updated meta-analyses......

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2018-24699-001?doi=1

I thought this one was interesting since APA is one of the serious publications that spooky subjects very rarely get publishedin. The rest of the abstract is interesting too, but the full paper is only available for purchase.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't want to spend $12 on the book.

I don't want to spend the bucks for it either. But often enough around on UM folks ask if there are any peer reviewed or otherwise "serious" writings taken in by respectable medical/science publishers.

This one seems to be one of the groundbreaking spooky studies seriously accepted and in a serious peer reviewed journal. I think rather good for Mr. Cardeña for getting this done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rashore said:

This one seems to be one of the groundbreaking spooky studies seriously accepted and in a serious peer reviewed journal. I think rather good for Mr. Cardeña for getting this done.

I guess. Perhaps I've simply gotten too cynical on the subject of the supernatural, paranormal, and psychic phenomena. All I see are scam artist and those looking to make a quick buck.

The unquoted portion of the abstract says, in part: 'The evidence provides cumulative support for the reality of psi.'  and: 

'The evidence for psi is comparable to that for established phenomenon in psychology and other disciplines'

Remarkable and surprising conclusions, with reputable scientific backing. 

9 minutes ago, bison said:

The evidence provides cumulative support for the reality of psi.

psi either exists-- or it does not... there's no grey area.

if it were real we would know by now

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

if it were real we would know by now

Wrong!

We discover new things all the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Wrong!

A very bold I Know Best reply there:o

According to believers in the paranormal, it's already been discovered..  They know it exists. So technically you're wrong my friend;) But after all the years us humans have been around; believers have failed to prove it's real. 
This is because it does not exist. This can be the only logical reason why no one has proved it yet IMO!

8 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Yep, you're not wrong there-as far as bugs, birds & the occasional mammal etc, I'd say pretty much every week.

They are normally discovered by accident. Why is this?= because they exist.

Have fun.............

9 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Wrong!

Then why hasn't there be a repeatable psychic test? Its hit or miss, mostly miss.

I really wish we didn't have to pay to see studies all the time. It is really frustrating during my college years when having to do papers lol

This is an interesting meta analysis I would like to see more details on.