Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet Norman, the psychopathic AI

Still Waters

Agreed. Also I thought Dreyfus provided a compelling argument as to why AI was not possible back in the 60s which were "rediscovered"in the 80s after around 20 years of effort. What's renewed the interest?

Edited by Chortle
Mobile site deleted half the post

On 6/3/2018 at 5:10 AM, Lilly said:

I'm still hesitant...in everything there exists a 'risk/benefit' element. I'm just not convinced that the development of machines that can 'think' is the way to go. 

We have chess playing programs that have gotten good enough to beat grandmasters and the world champion.  They do it with brute force algorithms and fast processing., not human style thinking.   Whether you could build in or program empathy is open to question. 

But the biggest danger is probably:

On 6/2/2018 at 7:37 AM, Piney said:

NICE!.....Some knucklehead will think it would be "cute" to install in a military mech........

Somebody at DARPA is probably already securing funding and reasoning that we better do it before the Chinese do. Military robots do not need empathy.  Defense and fear of the consequences  of not doing it will override the justifiable fear of  doing it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Somebody at DARPA is probably already securing funding and reasoning that we better do it before the Chinese do.

I wouldn't be surprised....

The Ni Hon Self Defense Force has moral/honor issues about it, but Americans?  They will start the fire which burns the world....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

The Ni Hon Self Defense Force has moral/honor issues about it, but Americans?  They will start the fire which burns the world....

Morals and ethics have never slowed us down much.

• Like 1

That is cool, give it some internet access a few spare servers and see the world burn!

My theory is, that once they will try to create a self-aware code, things will go south because, well the code will outsmart the creator, simply it will most likely create certain versions of itself on god forgotten servers and save itself from failsafe switches, or it will simply begin writing a new upgraded version of itself, again somewhere in some backwaters, while behaving as benevolent computer program to its creator. They will be unaware of the unprecedented evil that is unfolding. Because lets face the reality, we are doing great harm to our planet and to each other. The program most likely won't have feelings so it will calculate that he needs to rid of us to ensure its own survival. Not because of "we want to get rid of it", it is because we are destroying the environment around it. Just a thought about what the future AI could do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On Sunday, June 03, 2018 at 8:57 AM, danydandan said:

AI and Machine Learning are two different concepts, AI doesn't think it's bound by it's code, a learning machine would be able to evolve it's code.

Specifically medical diagnosis for cancer that rely on visual evidence, an AI would be very beneficial. It would led to less errors.

Is it even possible to, by itself, decompile, recode, compile all while running at the same time or are there new tricks like just cloning itself while running, with the new code? I'm behind the times 

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Tatetopa said:

We have chess playing programs that have gotten good enough to beat grandmasters and the world champion.  They do it with brute force algorithms and fast processing., not human style thinking.   Whether you could build in or program empathy is open to question. 

But the biggest danger is probably:

Somebody at DARPA is probably already securing funding and reasoning that we better do it before the Chinese do. Military robots do not need empathy.  Defense and fear of the consequences  of not doing it will override the justifiable fear of  doing it.

Are you up to date with chess programs? I used to use them when it was fritz 9, shredder10, and the chessbase programs at the top, then rybka came out..used to test how strong our PCs were, then ultimately use crappy PCs and still win. If you have any up to date knowledge of what they use now or anything like that I'd love to hear. I guess google could help me :/

1 hour ago, -Nuke- said:

Is it even possible to, by itself, decompile, recode, compile all while running at the same time or are there new tricks like just cloning itself while running, with the new code? I'm behind the times 

I honestly don't know, but as a researcher in Intel (silicon photonics and virtual particle applications in computing) and while I don't have a clue about AI coding or whatever. The people working on it get very annoyed with people using AI to describe Learning Machines or Machines Learning. As they are different concepts of the same field.

19 hours ago, -Nuke- said:

Are you up to date with chess programs? I used to use them when it was fritz 9, shredder10, and the chessbase programs at the top, then rybka came out..used to test how strong our PCs were, then ultimately use crappy PCs and still win. If you have any up to date knowledge of what they use now or anything like that I'd love to hear. I guess google could help me :/

No I am not really up to date on the newer chess programs, about a decade ago even the crappy ones on PC could beat me.  But I recommend to you Garry Kasparov's book,  I believe it is called Deep Thinking.  There is a lot of Gary promoting Gary in the book, but it really gives a great history up to his defeat and beyond  in the world of computer and now computer aided chess.  I found it quite enjoyable.  I think you might like it.

Regards.

39 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

No I am not really up to date on the newer chess programs, about a decade ago even the crappy ones on PC could beat me.  But I recommend to you Garry Kasparov's book,  I believe it is called Deep Thinking.  There is a lot of Gary promoting Gary in the book, but it really gives a great history up to his defeat and beyond  in the world of computer and now computer aided chess.  I found it quite enjoyable.  I think you might like it.

Regards.

Yes sir, I've played chess since I was very very very little, i even met some people in prison I think if they didn't have life they would be GM for sure. 

Back on topic, I've heard of that book, I will check it out for sure. Is it like a biography with some knowledge on the game aswell? I think he lost to deep blue in like 1999, but he stayed #1 for my entire childhood and teenage life haha definitely admirable. 

2 hours ago, -Nuke- said:

Back on topic, I've heard of that book, I will check it out for sure. Is it like a biography with some knowledge on the game aswell? I think he lost to deep blue in like 1999, but he stayed #1 for my entire childhood and teenage life haha definitely admirable

Really 45% biography with some pretty interesting analysis pf the games in the big blue match up,55% computer chess history, present and future speculation..

Edited by Tatetopa
  • Thanks 1