Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA set to announce new Mars discovery

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

Well NASA's announcement was saying that life may have existed once on Mars. That 'may" makes a huge difference between 1970's and now. Unless that 'may' disappears,  nothing has changed and no progress have been made. 

You are totally failing to understand the significance of these discoveries. You are even failing to understand the meaning of the word "may", in this context. 

Before Curiosity it was not known whether the environment in the Martian past had ever been suitable to support life. Now we know that it was. In this context "may" means that we now know that life was a possibility. Before Curiosity it was entirely possible that Mars had never been suitable for life. That is a massive leap in knowledge whether you accept it or not.

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

He isn't ignoring it, he is failing to understand it.

I think its because they haven't found a pyramid or a definitive proof of a giant face. Until they do that, he's not interested.

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

I think its because they haven't found a pyramid or a definitive proof of a giant face. Until they do that, he's not interested.

Wherever there is a barmy conspiracy theory the Dunning-Kruger effect is never far behind.

• Like 1

red_pill_blue_pill-copy3.gif

39 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

I know these is will be ridiculous questions but seeing how it is you Qx I'll go right ahead and ask.  How long do you think Opportunity should run before its sudden death is beyond suspicion?   Second question, do you think NASA is faking a giant dust storm on Mars in order to cover up the fact that Opportunity made a momentous discovery?

• Like 1

They are indeed ridiculous questions :)

But let me play your probing game one more time; take a deep breath, extricate yourself from all the stress *snip* and try to make a difference between conspiracionist and ppl like me questioning decisions taken by operations at NASA. 

Look at this photo and ask yourself; really wasn't worth investigating more? Or take some close up photos? 

0551MR2233051000E1_DXXX.jpgpost-141791-0-31704000-1407908635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saru
Removed inflammatory remark

10 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

This shorthand for "I know the truth and you don't" doesn't fool anyone. Apart from you apparently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

But let me play your probing game one more time; take a deep breath, extricate yourself from all the stress *snip* and try to make a difference between conspiracionist and ppl like me questioning decisions taken by operations at NASA. 

Look at this photo and ask yourself; really wasn't worth investigating more? Or take some close up photos? 

No, it isn't worth investigating. And this keys into two issues the "ancient aliens" bunch simply don't understand; firstly, organisms don't exist in pure isolation. This was the same mistake by those on this board who thought dark smudges in Martian aerial photography were trees. Trees cannot exist without a ecosystem. You wouldn't get one bunch of trees on an otherwise dead, radioactive planet. Same goes for this photo. In the UK, you can walk along the beach and find ammonite fossils sticking out of the ground. I have a cupboard full of them at home.

An ammonite on Mars would presumably have followed the same evolutionary path as one on Earth, so there is no reason to believe they wouldn't be as ubiquitous. You wouldn't expect to just find one fossil on the whole planet. Find a rock with multiple layers of ammonoid fossils compacted together, like you do on Earth, and now we're talking. But a single shape, the only one visible on the whole planet (as far as we've explored)? Nah. That is not newsworthy - that is pareidolia. 

Which leads me on to my next point, another thing the conspiracy guys get wrong. Something looking like something is not evidence of it being that thing. A human skull-shaped rock poking out of the ground is not evidence for it being a human skull. In fact, skulls lying around in the ground, especially after a few million years, tend not to look much like skulls at all. Something looking like an ammonite is not proof that it is.

What research have you done to support this being an ammonite? Is it in an ancient lake bed? What type of rock do ammonites usually fossilise in, and how does this compare with what is in the image? How does this link to a possible known geological time period for this area? How big is the "fossil" in the image?

That last question is a big one. Remember those stories of "bigfoot on Mars" a few years ago, this image of what looked like a man striding across the landscape? When you checked the location of the image and did a bit of correlation, turned out the "man" was about 4 inches tall.

Ergo - something looking like something is not evidence of anything, especially when you haven't taken the above into account (which, by the way, is not even close to an exhaustive list in terms of what needs to be accounted for). And the people who scan the photos looking for anomalies never, ever show any sign of doing any supporting research. It's always just "here is a skull, its a skull because it looks like a skull".

So. Go away and answer those questions I've posed above. Then we'll talk.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I notice you failed to answer either question and the above was looked at and dismissed as naturally occurring as it should've been but what, exactly, do you suggest they do to further explore that, drill it? :rolleyes: 

There was no decision with Opportunity, it is inside a massive dust storm that has cut off the solar panels and therefore its power.  Now answer the questions.

Edited by Merc14

15 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Now answer the questions.

And then answer mine :ph34r:

15 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I know these is will be ridiculous questions but seeing how it is you Qx I'll go right ahead and ask.  How long do you think Opportunity should run before its sudden death is beyond suspicion?   Second question, do you think NASA is faking a giant dust storm on Mars in order to cover up the fact that Opportunity made a momentous discovery?

Merc, unusual as it is for me to defend qx, but he didn't make these claims, it was geraldnewfie in the Huge Dust Storm Hits Opportunity Mars Rover thread, here.

3 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Merc, unusual as it is for me to defend qx, but he didn't make these claims, it was geraldnewfie in the Huge Dust Storm Hits Opportunity Mars Rover thread, here.

You are correct, Thanks and sorry qx, I got my threads mixed up.

• Like 2