Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. bomers over South China Sea Islands

Unusual Tournament

US heavy bombers fly over disputed South China Sea islands

The US has upped the ante in the South China Sea by flying nuclear-capable bombers over islands Beijing claims.

The US Pacific Air Forces told The Japan Times that two B-52 heavy bombers left a military base on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean for drills “in the vicinity of the South China Sea”.

The planes - which are capable of carrying nuclear bombs – flew within 32 kilometres of the Spratly Islands on Tuesday, reports CNN.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/06/06/14/47/south-china-sea-dispute-hots-up-as-us-flies-bombers-over-disputed-islands

• Like 1

Posturing...  This was my fav quote from the piece -"When asked by a journalist about the ability of the US to "blow apart" one of China's man-made islands, Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, director of the Joint Staff, replied: "I would just tell you that the United States military has had a lot of experience in the Western Pacific taking down small islands."       :w00t:    And THOSE were mostly coral atolls and such.  These puppies could probably be dissolved by pumping some high-decibel Van Halen directly into the water, offshore ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one thing that really does bother me about these potential flashpoints between our nation and the Norks or China or even Vlad having a bad man-bra day, is that space-based low yield nukes are considered to be potential game-changers of the balance of forces.  I realize that some here simply refuse to acknowledge that EMP could devastate our infrastructure but I've also heard some pretty sound arguments supporting this danger.  The primary defensive argument would be that our dispersed/ patrolling warships and subs could END the nation that pulled the sneak attack on us.  The flip-side of the argument is that upwards of 90% mortality could be expected in the U.S. within the first year, regardless our attackers being obliterated.  The survivors would probably find cold comfort in knowing that mostly civilians in a country most Americans couldn't identify on a map, were dead by our hand.  And the absolutely criminal aspect of this issue is that we could sufficiently harden enough infrastructure to allow us to rebuild without having to harden EVERYTHING.  Other than some shielding of military assets we are doing NOTHING to protect ourselves.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 4:24 AM, and then said:

These puppies could probably be dissolved by pumping some high-decibel Van Halen directly into the water, offshore ;) 

Haha yeah this should be a navy advert. Van Halen with half stacks on a carrier blasting hot for teacher as jets are taking off. 

would have sent a more powerful message if it flew directly over the contested Islands but still good to see the U.S. containing the expansionist ambitions of China.