Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How TO fry chicken

Harte

Glad to hear it. Now maybe I've taken out a little of the guesswork and you can duplicate what she made.

I didn't really learn this by watching. I learned the pieces by eating! LOL

It was several phone calls made after I moved out and missed her chicken badly.

That, and reading a book called "Cutting Up in the Kitchen" by Merle Ellis who, apparently, is (or was) a pretty well-known butcher.

It's a good book for any kind of kitchen (and even some backyard) butchery.

I want to point out that these postings took so long that, by the time I was done, it was too late to edit out the typos in several of the posts.

I'm not much of a typist, but I didn't know the edit window was so small here.

Harte

• Like 1

I'm lazy...I fry the already cut up skinless chicken thighs. I use the batter method and double dip (fry it for a bit then dip it again) method. I use pancake batter seasoned with salt, paprika, white pepper and cayenne. I use a deep cast iron skillet very similar to Harte's, I like using canola oil as it doesn't mess with the taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Harte said:

Glad to hear it. Now maybe I've taken out a little of the guesswork and you can duplicate what she made.

I didn't really learn this by watching. I learned the pieces by eating! LOL

It was several phone calls made after I moved out and missed her chicken badly.

That, and reading a book called "Cutting Up in the Kitchen" by Merle Ellis who, apparently, is (or was) a pretty well-known butcher.

It's a good book for any kind of kitchen (and even some backyard) butchery.

I want to point out that these postings took so long that, by the time I was done, it was too late to edit out the typos in several of the posts.

I'm not much of a typist, but I didn't know the edit window was so small here.

Harte

I hear ya :lol:

I've always processed and spiced my wild game on my own,butchering takes a lot more skill than most realize and is one of the most ignored "luxeries" we kinda enjoy today at the supermarket without a 2nd thought...really easy to mess it all up! :lol:

Eta

Don't worry about the typing,look at the mess i usually leave behind on here lol

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

So much thanks, and you talk of the medium/media in here oh the FORMAT but I can tell you as far as text book (which yours is better!!!!!!!)-- well for me it was light years more interesting than some of my cookbooks and this part I loved the most """""""   Except when she's buying beer.  "lmaosmiley.gif

Far as cookbooks go- all of them in the 50' and 60's might be re-issued- well it should be WORLD LAW that everyone has to have two copies MANDATORY as a reminder that that is how Life was once upon a time.  Like that would ever happen *** jumps down off soap box making a quick exit*.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Thanks.

I wrote a thread about making pumpkin pies on another forum. I copied it here, but the pics only came through as thumbnails.

I think I deleted it.

Check your messages.

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1

BIG TX ON THE MESSAGES Harte, premium pie arts there going on !   Still love the chicken chopping or as we'd say GET THE CHOP STICKS !... (our blades) a while back, a few of us(college) would get the birds done quickly and we had whoever over if they wanted to eat, top floor bottom floor whoever stopping in didn't matter always plenty when you get them whole, /free! so to speak.

Additionally, its hard to beat Lilly though:::: " I'm lazy...I fry the already cut up skinless chicken thighs. I use the batter method and double dip (fry it for a bit then dip it again) method. I use pancake batter seasoned with salt, paprika, white pepper and cayenne. I use a deep cast iron skillet very similar to Harte's, I like using canola oil as it doesn't mess with the taste."

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OKay ... so I transferred to v8 WORD 2000 and all printed well [after I grabbed the pictures to a folder for my little document on E DRIVE]  THEN! everything worked perfectly.  

Yes, it took forever, well I'm impatient if it doesn't happen in a minute over the net etc. SO !!!!!! echo*ECHO*  THat could not have been easy and I'm indebted or your ? debtor if that's right HA! to my dearest Harte !  HarteHarte hmm no blue bar

nick ... ? can't get it to copy right  oh well  no biggy.  AGAIN SO MUCH THANKS AS THAT COULDn't have been easy to post love ya Harte !

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

You are a well rounded artist, as the culinary art is one that I cherish too. From scratch is a wonderful way to arrive at a sumptuous conclusion on the taste buds. Although the shake and bake, bag method yields imitation frying by the oven baking process, without the oily mess. But it's never the same as oil frying, and well worth the mess. 

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

You are a well rounded artist, as the culinary art is one that I cherish too. From scratch is a wonderful way to arrive at a sumptuous conclusion on the taste buds. Although the shake and bake, bag method yields imitation frying by the oven baking process, without the oily mess. But it's never the same as oil frying, and well worth the mess.

I do that one too - but I don't buy shake and bake. I use panko.

Harte

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

*sigh* Now I want fried chicken.