Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Revenge Obituaries"

pallidin

And why not i say. I am sure there are many out there who would want to do this, but it is not something which was.

I personally have no need to do this to any of my family members, but i do think a brief description of serial killers, mass murderers, rapists and child abusers in this form would be a good idea. Maybe those affected by them could have a say on what they would like to see written on their slab.

• Like 4

Jerry Springer meets funeral industry...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, pretty soon we might see:

"Obituary Dislamer: The views presented are opinion and not necessarily fact"

• Haha 3

I wonder if people ever record themselves ahead of time so that they can still "speak" at their own funeral.

You know...Festivus-style. 

Like...I gotta lotta bones to pick with you people...and now...you're gonna hear about it.

That would be rather entertaining. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have to wonder if those who wrote revenge obituaries feel better after putting their thoughts to paper. It might be a way to get closure...personally? I say what I think while they are Alive...so when they depart I have a clear conscious...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

I have to wonder if those who wrote revenge obituaries feel better after putting their thoughts to paper. It might be a way to get closure...personally? I say what I think while they are Alive...so when they depart I have a clear conscious...

Its not as if the dead person can get offended by it. :D but saying that for those who believe in life after death, they likely believe they will be.

I believe it is a way of getting their revenge and being able to move on in life feeling better.

Some would have been able to say what they felt in life, this would be the final chapter. For those who could not say it to them, this is the beginning on moving on.

• Like 1

'Revenge obituaries' - While I can imagine how some people would have cause to do this, it doesn't mean they should. Any past issues they had with the deceased will have gone and it's not as if the deceased can read! It might help them to get something off their chest but what about others? There could still be members of the family who are genuinely grieving, imagine how they would feel to read all the hate. How horrible that must be for them.

The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2018 at 7:20 AM, Still Waters said:

'Revenge obituaries' - While I can imagine how some people would have cause to do this, it doesn't mean they should. Any past issues they had with the deceased will have gone and it's not as if the deceased can read! It might help them to get something off their chest but what about others? There could still be members of the family who are genuinely grieving, imagine how they would feel to read all the hate. How horrible that must be for them.

I agree.

An obituary is not necessarily the "total voice" of the decedent's living family.

Any family member can write and pay for an obit post, expressing solitary opinions as if they were fact.

What if, say, a father/mother were accused of inappropriate contact with his child(ren), and a court-of-law found him/her to be completely innocent, yet the obit writer has a pent-up suspicion of guilt and firmly expresses that in the obit as if guilt were fact.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

When my dad died of cancer 36 years ago, if I'd written an obituary it'd have gone something like this-

"Goodbye and good riddance to the little sh**, I won't be at his funeral because I've got better things to do"..:) 

Edited by Old Ugh

18 minutes ago, Old Ugh said:

When my dad died of cancer 36 years ago, if I'd written an obituary it'd have gone something like this-

"Goodbye and good riddance to the little sh**, I won't be at his funeral because I've got better things to do"..:) 

Nah, it should read:

"He was a good man with issues, like we all have. May God forgive him and may he rest in peace."

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, Still Waters said:

The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

"Revenge is for children and the emotionally stunted"- Frank Herbert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/06/2018 at 2:20 PM, Still Waters said:

I would think the family members who are  grieving would have been able to have a say in what was what written on the head stone. The closest people have that say and if the closest were badly affected by that persons actions, then the rest got off lightly or were not as close to the deceased as they thought they were if they did not know the harm they were doing to others.

Not saying this is always the case, but why are those who are grieving not dealing with the headstones themselves? 

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I would think the family members who are  grieving would have been able to have a say in what was what written on the head stone. The closest people have that say and if the closest were badly affected by that persons actions, then the rest got off lightly or were not as close to the deceased as they thought they were if they did not know the harm they were doing to others.

Not saying this is always the case, but why are those who are grieving not dealing with the headstones themselves? 

If there is a headstone I'm sure the family who care will have it inscribed appropriately, but not all deceased have headstones. That wouldn't erase all the bad stuff printed about them in the newspapers either.