Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Middle schoolers given bulletproof shields

Still Waters

Students at a school in Pennsylvania have received a bulletproof backplate for their backpacks as a gift for graduating eighth grade. The ballistic shields were donated by a local company and given to students at St Cornelius school in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, as a leaving present before high school.

The manufacturer, Unequal, claims on its website that the shield is “kid friendly” and allows you to “be prepared” when “terror strikes”. The shield retails at $149 (although when the Guardian checked, the site was offering 10% off for people using the somewhat tasteless discount code “battle ready”).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/06/bulletproof-backpacks-school-present-students-graduation

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 thick books stop ar bullet, i posted a video a while back.

since it is in pa, i expect some parents actually test it with real bullets. i sure would if it was my kid who brought  it home

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think donating metal detectors to be installed at all school entrances would be a better idea. Make our schools as equally secure as our courthouses. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

and how will it stop someone who comes in school with guns out shooting his way in? that is how majority of school shootings happen. and since many are against teachers being armed, who will stop the shooter, when he kills school officers first? not metal detectors for sure, but shields can stop bullets

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

and how will it stop someone who comes in school with guns out shooting his way in? that is how majority of school shootings happen. and since many are against teachers being armed, who will stop the shooter, when he kills school officers first? not metal detectors for sure, but shields can stop bullets

Bulletproof shields, backpacks, sticks, erasers....anything they can use except the one thing that would actually stop a shooter, guaranteed. It makes you wonder how much they really value the lives of those kids when they won't allow teachers to defend them with equal force. This is like thinking "duck and cover" is actually going to save you from an atom bomb.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I am going to take this opportunity to vent about the media.

The whole school shooting stuff was overreported by the media since its beginning because it makes sensational news. But this overreporting  more strongly plants the idea in the minds of some anti-social feeling youths and then maybe one in a thousand will actually act on that one day. 

And then the media also stirs up the paranoia of the 'good' people and now kids are on their way to bringing bulletproof stuff to school.

They're chance of getting shot at school is about as likely as so many other terrible things that are not hyped up by the media and there is no paranoia about.

I meant this vent to lower my blood pressure but I can feel it didn't work:angry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I think donating metal detectors to be installed at all school entrances would be a better idea. Make our schools as equally secure as our courthouses. 

:clap:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sad that kids have to be fearful at school...wtf is wrong with our great society?

We only had to worry about Jay Helsel punching us in the gut or whacking us in the gonads in the hallway....ahhhh the good old days.

(side note.... as I sit here receiving chemo therapy ...send a little good vibe into the mix for me k?),

Love lightly.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Mhmm. Yeah. Because door control makes much more sense then gun control. :rolleyes: <_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Bulletproof shields, backpacks, sticks, erasers....anything they can use except the one thing that would actually stop a shooter, guaranteed. It makes you wonder how much they really value the lives of those kids when they won't allow teachers to defend them with equal force. This is like thinking "duck and cover" is actually going to save you from an atom bomb.

The one thing that would actually stop a shooter would be taking away their ability to be a shooter...right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Narcisse said:

The one thing that would actually stop a shooter would be taking away their ability to be a shooter...right?

...which isn't going to happen in a country saturated with more guns than people as well as a constitutionally granted right to be armed in addition to an inability to control access to illegal weapons.

But disregarding all of that, sure: let's wave a magic wand and make all the guns disappear. Don't have a magic wand? Then fight fire with fire because it evens the odds and is a proven deterrent unlike "gun free zone" signs. Or you can be shot to death while helplessly cowering in a classroom. Your call.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

That would have been nice.    I understand the company doing this.   It is good publicity.   I see nothing wrong with it.   Better than nothing I guess.    

• Like 1

What a 'gift' !

How sad it is to be giving children shields before they go to high school. New school bags or books would be an encouragement, but shields? What message does this give the young generation? They have to protect themselves, wonder how many think they should arm themselves too? 

• Like 4

sure, we can just make a new law that outlaws school shootings

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

What a 'gift' !

How sad it is to be giving children shields before they go to high school. New school bags or books would be an encouragement, but shields? What message does this give the young generation? They have to protect themselves, wonder how many think they should arm themselves too? 

yep that is exactly what they want people to feel so it is easier to go after guns

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

Mhmm. Yeah. Because door control makes much more sense then gun control. :rolleyes: <_<

It worked in Camden. Many people tried to sneak in guns even when I went to school there. You only got shot going to or from school.

Or in my case the local arcade.....:unsure:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

It worked in Camden. Many people tried to sneak in guns even when I went to school there. You only got shot going to or from school.

Or in my case the local arcade.....:unsure:

Gun control worked in Japan, Australia, pretty much everywhere in Europe, etc.yet you ignore the effects of that now don'tcha?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lmao yea, sure,  but we have great kangaroo control, there aren't any roaming free attacking people and pets, but in Australia it is a complete failure, they need to learn from us.

yea i know it sounds dumb because there are not may kangaroos in usa,  but that is exactly my point, none of the countries you put up as examples has as many guns, people, and street gangs,

oh btw African snow control is awesome, they are doing great job, there isn't any snow there. maybe Alaska needs to get few points from them

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I gather you've never been to a courthouse then? The basic concept is that everyone has to go through a metal detector...so that no weapons (guns included) can enter the building.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

sure, we can just make a new law that outlaws school shootings

So I take it you're ok with abolishing all laws that are capable of being broken?

• Like 1

So I take it you're ok with abolishing all laws that are capable of being broken?

so i take it you are ok with punishing millions for deeds of few

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I gather you've never been to a courthouse then? The basic concept is that everyone has to go through a metal detector...so that no weapons (guns included) can enter the building.

Ceramic knives.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ceramic knives.

they are visible on xray, even thou it is not metal, it may fool metal detector but not xray machines, they have them in court houses just like airports

top one is metal bottom and middle are not

sw_ceramic-kitchen-knifes-99kv-20ma-1-se

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Gun control worked in Japan, Australia, pretty much everywhere in Europe, etc.yet you ignore the effects of that now don'tcha?

I said it more than once here that we need Japanese gun laws if you remember correctly. You didn't sense the sarcasm in "on the way to school" or "at the arcade"? :blink:

My beef is it didn't become a problem until upper middle-class kids started getting ghosted.  Shootings in the Ghetto of Camden and Philly in the eighties didn't even hit the local news and you only heard about Camden's world record murder rate in jokes. :mellow:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I said it more than once here that we need Japanese gun laws if you remember correctly. You didn't sense the sarcasm in "on the way to school" or "at the arcade"? :blink:

My beef is it didn't become a problem until upper middle-class kids started getting ghosted.  Shootings in the Ghetto of Camden and Philly in the eighties didn't even hit the local news and you only heard about Camden's world record murder rate in jokes. :mellow:

This. The Democrat city of Chicago rarely makes the news because upper class Liberals are inherently racist. They expect less of black people because they think less of them. They won't let their own kids go to Schools with large minority populations and they certainly won't waste their time trying to clean up gang violence. Makes more sense to go after the law abiding white man cause guns are bad. Imagine being a law abiding black man in the ghettos of Chicago knowing the only way to defend yourself against the constant violence is to break the law. By restricting guns to the good people they merely turned them in to sheep to be fed on by wolves. The same is now happening with School shootings. God forbid someone uses a gun to save lives.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1