Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French MPs back mobile phones ban in schools

Still Waters

French lawmakers have voted to ban the use of mobile phones by pupils in primary and middle schools.

Critics, however, say the ban will be difficult to enforce and opposition parties say it is a publicity stunt.

Members of the National Assembly backed the move in a show of hands on Thursday and it now goes to the Senate.

Under the new measures, children up to the age of 15 will have to keep their mobile phones out of sight while on school premises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44401660

• Like 1

Wouldnt it just be easier to stick small jammers into each classroom to make the cell phones essentially useless.

this article piqued my interest as i can relate. good luck to the French. 

On 07/06/2018 at 10:09 PM, DarkHunter said:

Wouldnt it just be easier to stick small jammers into each classroom to make the cell phones essentially useless.

Cellphones operate in the microwave area of the electromagnetic spectrum, so a jammer does too.

The fewer microwave emissions we are exposed to, the better. This is why microwave ovens have an earthed mesh built into the door.

11 minutes ago, acute said:

Cellphones operate in the microwave area of the electromagnetic spectrum, so a jammer does too.

The fewer microwave emissions we are exposed to, the better. This is why microwave ovens have an earthed mesh built into the door.

Microwave emmisions are non ionizing so are more or less harmless outside of extreme conditions and cell phone jammers are being used, normally at entertainment venues, so there is no reason not to use them in schools.

Wifi also operates in the microwave range of the electromagnetic spectrum, among a lot of other things, and no one cares about that being in school.  As for microwave ovens having that mesh, that is to protect from burns and not from some radiation threat.  

Why do they need a law for this?  

It seems like it could be accomplished without one. 

3 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Microwave emmisions are non ionizing so are more or less harmless outside of extreme conditions and cell phone jammers are being used, normally at entertainment venues, so there is no reason not to use them in schools.

Wifi also operates in the microwave range of the electromagnetic spectrum, among a lot of other things, and no one cares about that being in school.  As for microwave ovens having that mesh, that is to protect from burns and not from some radiation threat.  

Microwave radiation causes burns, so the mesh is there to block microwaves.

46 minutes ago, acute said:

Microwave radiation causes burns, so the mesh is there to block microwaves.

I never said that it doesnt cause burns but the burns are different then radiation burns.  Burns from a microwave oven, which the mesh protects from, are caused from thermal effects of microwaves unlike radiation burns which come from ionizing radiation causing internal cellular damage. 

Even then the conditions inside a microwave oven are extreme and can't realistically be used as an argument against cell phone jammers in class rooms.

On 10/06/2018 at 2:55 AM, ChaosRose said:

Why do they need a law for this?  

It seems like it could be accomplished without one. 

Because you’ll always get the people for whom the rules don’t apply, so instead it’s a law to shut them down.

”my Mum say.....” “it’s the law. Phone in the draw”.

”my child needs the phone so I can contact them in an emergency” “and if it rings in the draw we’ll hear it.”.

”how dare you take away my child’s right to...” “it’s the law”. 

Why not simply have a box that everyone has to put their cell phone in when they enter class?

And then they can take it back at the end of class.

No law needed, no one's rights violated.

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Why not simply have a box that everyone has to put their cell phone in when they enter class?

I bet there’s technology out there that can block mobile signals within a certain area that the schools can employ. 

On 11/06/2018 at 7:06 AM, ChaosRose said:

Because someone will kick up a stink that it’s oppressing them or the rules don’t apply to them or their creatures. So, it’s a law to tell those people to sod off.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats