Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Put Tariffs On Canada For No Reason...

Aquila King

I just want to preemptively apologize to any other allies out there that this idiot will inevitably hurt for no reason...

We'll fix get rid of this national embarrassment eventually...

• Like 3

Actually, the War of 1812 did involve Canada: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/war-of-1812/

Canada was a Colony of Britain at the time and it was very much involved in the conflict.

...Canada was swept up in the War of 1812 and was invaded a number of times by the Americans. The war was fought in Upper Canada, Lower Canada, on the Great Lakes and the Atlantic, and in the United States...

The General (I think his name was Ross) actually came down from Canada and attacked Washington DC, that was when part of the White House was burned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Actually, the War of 1812 did involve Canada: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/war-of-1812/

Canada was a Colony of Britain at the time and it was very much involved in the conflict.

The General (I think his name was Ross) actually came down from Canada and attacked Washington DC, that was when part of the white House was burned. 

Boy is that a stretch...

On May 25, it was Trump’s turn to make ominous historical references, according to reports by CNN and CBC. Defending his decision to impose trade tariffs on Canada on national security grounds, Trump — perhaps as a joke — asked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a call:

“Didn’t you guys burn down the White House?”

To be clear: No, they didn’t.

In fact, the burning of the White House may be the worst possible example to justify a trade dispute — one of the reasons the White House burned was because of a trade dispute.

Trump was referring to the war of 1812 between the British and the Americans that resulted in the burning of Washington in 1814, at a time when Canada was still part of the British Empire. While Canada didn’t burn down the White House — that dubious honor fell to British forces following a U.S. invasion of what is today Ontario — it was at least on the side of the British, which is perhaps reason enough for the president to use it as an example to make a point about Canada being a national security threat to U.S. interests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2018/06/07/no-canada-didnt-burn-down-the-white-house-but-theres-something-more-troubling-about-trumps-claim/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.36b28a677461

You must be flexible to be able to twist yourself into a pretzel just to defend the indefensible.

Regardless, are you seriously gonna defend this as a justifiable reason to slap tariffs on Canada for? Seriously???

Canada is going to end up building a wall to keep the stupid out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

LOL, the War of 1812 wasn’t the reason Trump put tariffs on Canadian steele and aluminum. Something tells me the remark about it was just Trump being Trump ( a bad joke). Apparently though, most news media have zero sense of when certain people are joking. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Then we will be forced to airdrop Bieber and Nickelback in anyway! ;)

• Haha 8

For everyone’s information Canadian trade deficit costs the US tens of billions every year. Look it up, I’m too tired right now to do so. I think last year alone we lost over 17 Billion to Canada. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

We're NOT paying for it :w00t:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Lilly said:

LOL, the War of 1812 wasn’t the reason Trump put tariffs on Canadian steele and aluminum. Something tells me the remark about it was just Trump being Trump ( a bad joke). Apparently though, most news media have zero sense of when certain people are joking. 

For a group of people (journalists) that deem themselves to be the smartest people in the room, they seem to lack an understanding of how transparent their strategies toward Trump have become.  Half the country - and growing - are OVER THEM.

19 minutes ago, Lilly said:

For everyone’s information Canadian trade deficient costs the US tens of billions every year. Look it up, I’m too tired right now to do so. I think last year alone we lost over 17 Billion to Canada. 

I don't necessarily support Tariffs in general but I never made a dime in business so if a billionaire thinks imposing them might be good strategy then I'm okay with it until it's proven to not work in the context of our current situation.  Trump isn't an idiot where negotiations are concerned.  He's firing a shot across the bow of the EU and euro-lite (Trudeau) types that a new sheriff is indeed in town.

• Like 2

Trump put tariffs on Canada citing a national security clause.  Trudeau pointed out Canadians fought and died along side America troops in every major war.  Trump tells him that they burned down the White House in 1812.

Seems legit.  He couldn't very well go on record saying that he was just twisting the wording and spirit of section 232 of the national security clause after all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, and then said:

We're NOT paying for it :w00t:

Oh...we're paying for it. 

• Like 1

Trump is a dumb***.

Everyone knows this by now. 

No one should be shocked.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't necessarily support Tariffs in general but I never made a dime in business so if a billionaire thinks imposing them might be good strategy then I'm okay with it until it's proven to not work in the context of our current situation.  Trump isn't an idiot where negotiations are concerned.  He's firing a shot across the bow of the EU and euro-lite (Trudeau) types that a new sheriff is indeed in town.

Yeah, he kind of is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

giphy.gif

Blame Canada...blame Canada...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

You know, we laugh, but a Canadian wall might really happen if the tariffs and trade war escalate.  People will start smuggling goods back and forth to avoid the tariffs.

• Like 2

He is technically right... just 100 years late. We can also speak about Dutch invasion of new York and French dominions who have actually built America... you know history...or he could also speak about his German origins.. heil Hi...

Edited by qxcontinuum

Tariffs make prices go up on both sides. The problem is we aren't manufacturing like we were.  All the manufacturing has gone overseas. We have gone into this service economy, what are we suppose to sell them hamburgers?   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Tariffs make prices go up on both sides. The problem is we aren't manufacturing like we were.  All the manufacturing has gone overseas. We have gone into this service economy, what are we suppose to sell them hamburgers?   

I think that is the crux of the issue.  People just see the numbers and think that it's unfair.  Yet they are the ones that are buying the Canadian products and are creating nothing that the Canadians want to buy.  The solution to me isn't tariffs, but rather the US starting to create something that we can sell.  Pity we can't export bankers, lawyers, and politicians.  That's about the only thing we make these days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Trump is a dumb***.

Everyone knows this by now. 

No one should be shocked.

Unfortunately no. There are the millions who think he's a genius with a capital J.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

The tariff is on dumping unfinished project. Raw exports. China dumps on other countries when trade rules say they cannot unless it's a finished product.  Trump is right.

Duh

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

America's Donald Trump is a stable and secure genius.

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked