Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Put Tariffs On Canada For No Reason...

Aquila King

9 hours ago, Piney said:

He saved the sawmill by this. The tariff on farm lumber products gave us a chance to compete again and we been busy since this happened.

And if you would have done it better and cheaper in the first place, you would have been able to compete without tariffs.  Sorry, but I'm not in favor of this welfare to support you, while raising prices for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, and then said:

A genius who's been tweaking the tiger's nose WHILE riding on his back, for over a year.

I like this . So true. I'm so sorry for what they're doing to him. I think they want to break him so they can say he';s unstable to hold the office. 

7 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

And if you would have done it better and cheaper in the first place, you would have been able to compete without tariffs.  Sorry, but I'm not in favor of this welfare to support you, while raising prices for me.

That might work for big corporations. Not a single family operation running a 1938 Lane under a rain awning on a farm.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Seriously , why do you hate him? 

Seriously, why do you love him? :huh:

1 hour ago, Ellapennella said:

Lilly

Do you know why President Trump said that Russia should be at the negotiating table with us there at that summit? 

I think he said that because right now Russia is meddling in everything  when the world least needs them to be.  Take Syria for example with Russia & Iran .  We don't need Russia  up with China either. I agree Trump is right again   Russia should be at the negotiating table but those people  do not   actually want to  change anything in the world  to stop wars from occurring . 

Another thing that I've been pondering about  is this   I think that the main reason why so many of these individuals including media programs are giving President Trump so much negativity is for one reason  and that is to break him so they  can say he is unstable  to hold office . I don't think it will work because I think he knows that he has us all who see what's going on  and we  support him. I think that's why they used to say so much that he really needs us to support him. 

“It may not be politically correct, but we have a world to run,” - Donald Trump at the G7 meeting as to why we should have Russia back. 

Ah, globalism!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wall Street Journal Demands GOP 'Rein' Trump In on Trade Before He Ruins the Country

According to the editorial board of the conservative Wall Street Journal, Republicans must band together and strip President Donald Trump of some of his trade powers before he does irreparable damage to the U.S. economy.

Under the headline, Congress vs. Trump on Tariffs, the board blamed Democrats for the laws that have allowed the President to impose tariffs — citing national security — before saying the GOP needs to “rein” Trump in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ellapennella said:

Seriously , why do you hate him? 

sorry if i come across that way Ella, but i don't hate him, rather enjoy having a dig at the way he conducts himself as president. he's an easy target and he doesn't help himself much either. to be fair, love what he's done with North Korea and I'm impressed with Trump's knowledge of history, even if slightly skewered. which is something i thought i'd never say. i know some say that the Canadians didn't burn down the White House cause they weren't a nation then, the British did, but i've meet a few Canadians that actually claim that act as the high point of Canadian military might. i guess Trump is just saying out loud what most of us think that the Canadians are more British than an American nation. 

Trump also stated that Russia should be there at the G7 and he's alienated all America's western friends. this is a president that in unconventional to say the least and it makes people nervous. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Do you know why President Trump said that Russia should be at the negotiating table with us there at that summit? 

I think he said that because right now Russia is meddling in everything  when the world least needs them to be.  Take Syria for example with Russia & Iran .  We don't need Russia  up with China either. I agree Trump is right again   Russia should be at the negotiating table but those people  do not   actually want to  change anything in the world  to stop wars from occurring .

Russia was a part of this group until they were kicked out for annexing Crimea.   Mr. Putin is very much like Mr. Trump.  He plays hardball.  If president Trump wants to stand up to somebody, he should take on Russia and China.    Who has been stealing our technology secrets?  China not Canada. 

The United States and Canada trade nearly $600 billion dollars a year  with a deficit of 18 billion dollars.  We trade $550 billion dollars a year with Mexico with a deficit of $71 billion.  We trade $630 billion dollars with China and our trade deficit with them is $375 billion dollars. Those are our 3 largest trading partners.China holds about 65% of our deficit.

Get that? With very close to the same amount of trade between the US and Canada and the US and China, the Chinese trade deficit is 20 times greater.  And yet we can beat up on Canada.  Our economy is about 10x as large as Canada's  I can't gloat too much about that.  Sure, we can crush them, grind them under our economic heels.  Does that make you chest puff up and your pride in America swell?  Both countries have a few protected areas, Canada has dairy, US has some lumber products etc.  It is not very much of the total. Dairy ultrafiltered milk:   https://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/u-s-canada-dairy-dispute/ about $10 million dollars a year against $600 billion in trade.  That issue along with lumber kind of gets blown out of proportion.  Canada can claim vital national security interests to protect their dairy industry just like we can claim national security on iron and aluminum.  Canada was our friend when we were great and has stood by us.  They sent their soldiers to fight beside ours time after time.    

We can't beat up on China so easily yet they are a threat to our national security for real.  They take our technology and we get a Walmart full of cheap plastic junk.  That is even worse than the deficit that goes along with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

i'm, economy is about him, a business that makes money and pays taxes, hires people.

i'd rather pay more for 2x4s than pay for dozens of gvmnt alphabet agencies doing the same thing, burdening taxpayers and basically making our life harder and more complicated,  i'd pick his mills over your agencies anytime.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

i'm, economy is about him, a business that makes money and pays taxes, hires people.

i'd rather pay more for 2x4s than pay for dozens of gvmnt alphabet agencies doing the same thing, burdening taxpayers and basically making our life harder and more complicated,  i'd pick his mills over your agencies anytime.

You are going to pay for a dozen "alphabet agencies" no matter what.  Now, you will also pay more for lumber, steel, aluminum and gas.  Don't you claim to be in construction?  Even an entrepreneur?  You would prefer more expensive supplies?

I think one of the things Trump is trying to do with tariffs is save industries.  There may be short term hardships on both sides, but it will make it profitable again to produce certain commodities in the U.S.  That bolsters national security in the long run.  World politics is always changing.  Today's friend is tomorrow's enemy and vice versa.  We have to be able to rely on ourselves for as many necessities as possible.  While it may be cheaper or more practical to import these items in peace time, we will be at a big disadvantage when the winds shift if we don't have industries capable of serving our needs.  We can't build tanks with imported steel.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I think one of the things Trump is trying to do with tariffs is save industries.  There may be short term hardships on both sides, but it will make it profitable again to produce certain commodities in the U.S.  That bolsters national security in the long run.  World politics is always changing.  Today's friend is tomorrow's enemy and vice versa.  We have to be able to rely on ourselves for as many necessities as possible.  While it may be cheaper or more practical to import these items in peace time, we will be at a big disadvantage when the winds shift if we don't have industries capable of serving our needs.  We can't build tanks with imported steel.  

Save industries equals corporate welfare.  I don't care about the 200,000 combined steel and aluminum workers.  Why should I have to pay more for my supplies because you want to make more money?  Minimum wage works for the people that feed me.  Do it better and cheaper, and you wouldn't have problem.  Tariffs only hurt the people living in the country that enacts them.  Period.  Prove me wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Save industries equals corporate welfare.  I don't care about the 200,000 combined steel and aluminum workers.  Why should I have to pay more for my supplies because you want to make more money?  Minimum wage works for the people that feed me.  Do it better and cheaper, and you wouldn't have problem.  Tariffs only hurt the people living in the country that enacts them.  Period.  Prove me wrong.

I said the same thing back when auto industries and BANKERS were "TOO BIG TO FAIL"...

Atleast with "tariffs" both are slapping them at one another which kinda "offsets" things a bit and allowes negotiating room...

I didn't give a damn about "BIG BANKS"...more things change,the more they stay the same...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I'll prove u wrong and I am Canadian.  Begin with playing on a fair playing field.  Current NAFTA rules says Canada can export steel  into the USA on ONLY finished products.. China DUMPS steel on Canada so we can skirt the NAFTA agreement.  Making it cheaper in Canada to send steel to the USA.  China is the culprit here... It would be the same if the USA did the same using China to undermine Canada. Trump has a huge point here.  It's not fair.  

• Like 6

In fact Trump is the environmentalist because the cost to ship steel to North America is obvious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

I'll prove u wrong and I am Canadian.  Begin with playing on a fair playing field.  Current NAFTA rules says Canada can export steel  into the USA on ONLY finished products.. China DUMPS steel on Canada so we can skirt the NAFTA agreement.  Making it cheaper in Canada to send steel to the USA.  China is the culprit here... It would be the same if the USA did the same using China to undermine Canada. Trump has a huge point here.  It's not fair.  

What do you mean fair?

When you save an industry, it becomes a theme park, a nod to nostalgia.  Remember when we used to make steel with men instead of computers and robots?  If you want to preserve antiquated industries and keep them alive you can provide some jobs, but you would probably save money by having the government pay them to stay home.

If you want to invest money in an industry then modernize it.  Spend the money on new technology, be really competitive instead of making steel as a hobby to keep the old men busy.  Capitalism is supposed to bring productivity up and cost down; not the opposite.

2 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I think one of the things Trump is trying to do with tariffs is save industries.  There may be short term hardships on both sides, but it will make it profitable again to produce certain commodities in the U.S. 

I think it is the opposite.  There will be short term relief and long term, we will fall further behind.  This does not make industry stronger, it props up non-competitive ones.  Then you are stuck keeping the welfare going.

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

I said the same thing back when auto industries and BANKERS were "TOO BIG TO FAIL"...

And you were right.  What a total rip off that was.  The taxpayers footed the bill for big banks making very stupid business decisions 

.  Not a single one of those bozos paid any price for putting us in a recession.  Some walked away with hundreds of millions.  And the same geniuses are still in charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

In fact Trump is the environmentalist because the cost to ship steel to North America is obvious

Acidhead, you are brilliant, but I think you overreached yourself there.  Do you know that the shipping cost is not offset by antiquated factories producing steel here?  Maybe it takes more energy to produce steel in a 1920's plant than ina 1970's one.

5 hours ago, Piney said:

That might work for big corporations. Not a single family operation running a 1938 Lane under a rain awning on a farm.

I worked in an operation like this.  We used to cut lumber in dimensional sizes for farmers that could use rough lumber in standard finished sizes.   Saved them a lot when we were custom cutting their logs.

• Thanks 1

Just came across this and had to share :lol:

It's Mueller time.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I worked in an operation like this.  We used to cut lumber in dimensional sizes for farmers that could use rough lumber in standard finished sizes.   Saved them a lot when we were custom cutting their logs.

We have a planer but it's mostly rough sawn. Many farmers still bring their own trees. Cutting a lot of flitch because of hobbyists and their yard trees. The Amish also like it rough sawn for their stuff and bring their own logs. 

• Thanks 1

How dare Trump not allow America to continue to be screwed over by the billions in these ridiculous trade deals?

The nerve of some people. smh

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Haha 2

Dogs react to the emotions of their owners. The owner hates Trump, the dog will hate Trump. This reaction is neither paranormal nor prophetic.. 

Personally, I hate trade deals that are so awful and one sided that America loses 100's of Billions every year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

How dare Trump not allow America to continue to be screwed over by the billions in these ridiculous trade deals?

Make stuff foreigners and indeed domestic customers want at a price they are prepared to pay - deficit problem solved.

If foreign companies make it cheaper or provide an environment abroad where US companies make it cheaper, then that is your much admired capitalism in play. 

Protectionism today - government planned industries tomorrow.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked