Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What’s Going On with Tabby’s Star?

Waspie_Dwarf

What’s Going On with Tabby’s Star? It’s Complicated

Two new studies — one by a group of high school students — are investigating the strange environment around Tabby's Star.

Once again, KIC 8462852 (aka Tabby's Star or Boyajian's Star) is proving how difficult it is to observe a strange system from afar.

This is the star made famous for potentially hosting alien megastructures. Observations have since firmly ruled out that option, but that aliens were mentioned at all shows just how weird the star is.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Sky and Telescope

• Like 1

thought this had been pretty conclusively shown to be dust? Or did I just dream that.

• Haha 1

That's fascinating, the long term dips posing a whole new mystery, but I find the comet swarm theory really stirs the imagination. If that's the case it would be a spectacular sight up close I would imagine. 

• 7 months later...

Just thinking about this makes me think about a planetary orbit sized particle accelerator around this star. An open accelerator controlling particles through space reaching near light speed would displace the space it travels through folding space like ripples on a pond. These ripples would have a big effect on the light coming from that star.