Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rhyme written to teach school shooting drills

Still Waters

"Lockdown, lockdown, lock the door. Shut the lights off, say no more."

In Massachusetts, a class of five-year-olds are learning this rhyme - set to the lullaby "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" - so they know what to do during a school shooting.

Parent Georgy Cohen spotted the poem taped to a classroom chalkboard at the school in the city of Somerville.

She posted a picture online, writing: "This should not be hanging in my soon-to-be-kindergartener's classroom."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44411208

• Sad 1

they should also be taught that shooters are not some monsters that come from other worlds, but same kids as them who often sit in the same class with them, someone they very often know

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

:mellow: Fear mongering........

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

:mellow: Fear mongering........

Is it though?  I remember having multiple fire drills a year, and more kids die from school shooters than school fires.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Is it though?  I remember having multiple fire drills a year, and more kids die from school shooters than school fires.

Did you ever hear of Camden, New Jersey? In the 80's we had the highest murder rate in the world.  We also had the most securest schools and nobody was shot inside the school.

I was winged at a local arcade. My friend Cat Man was filled with about 20 bullets ( probably from the cops) but we never lived in fear.

Make the schools as secure as the courthouses. Not teach kids to be afraid. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

Then maybe havevlockdown drills and not blaze “be afraid!” literally across the walls on the very first day of schooling.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Then maybe havevlockdown drills and not blaze “be afraid!” literally across the walls on the very first day of schooling.

The kid that works in the general store told me about the "active shooter drills" in his school. He thinks they are fear mongering. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Be afraid?  Care to send a link to that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

The kid that works in the general store told me about the "active shooter drills" in his school. He thinks they are fear mongering. 

Well, always trust the kid that works at the general store.  What kind of idiot would rather not have their children be prepared.  I have talked to my children about what to do if it happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Well, always trust the kid that works at the general store.  What kind of idiot would rather not have their children be prepared.  I have talked to my children about what to do if it happens.

I just home schooled mine rather than deal with any bull****.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

We do too.

we don’t write it on the board so children LITERALLY start their schooling being told “you might get shot at school”. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

We do too.

we don’t write it on the board so children LITERALLY start their schooling being told “you might get shot at school”. 

Still waiting for your "be afraid" being put on the walls.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Still waiting for your "be afraid" being put on the walls.  

That would be the nursery rhyme. It’s fearmongering. 

Its not “this is how to stay safe”, but “cower and be afraid when this happens”. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Perhaps I’m being less thsn clear - the literally refers to the child’s first day of school, not the words “be afraid”.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

"be afraid!" literally across the walls."  Either you are walking back on your statement, don't know the meaning of the word literally, or have no idea how to compose a sentence.  It's so easy...just tell the truth, deal in facts, don't make assumptions.  If you do those things, you can never lose a debate...unless you are dealing with a stupid person.

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

"be afraid!" literally across the walls."  Either you are walking back on your statement, don't know the meaning of the word literally, or have no idea how to compose a sentence.  It's so easy...just tell the truth, deal in facts, don't make assumptions.  If you do those things, you can never lose a debate...unless you are dealing with a stupid person.

I’m **** at composing sentences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’m **** at composing sentences.

OK, so the "be afraid" LITERALLY being across the walls was not a true statement I assume?

• Like 1

Just now, Agent0range said:

OK, so the "be afraid" LITERALLY being across the walls was not a true statement I assume?

No, it was a poorly composed sentence. The rhyme can be summarised as “be afraid”, it was literally the first day of schooling for those children. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No, it was a poorly composed sentence. The rhyme can be summarised as “be afraid”, it was literally the first day of schooling for those children. 

It can?  What would you change in the rhyme that a CHILD should do differently?  Even in the military, we took cover before we shot back.  Now, unless you expect this 1st grader to pull a glock out of his backpack, I would say this is exactly what you should do.

• Like 1

Just now, Agent0range said:

It can?  What would you change in the rhyme that a CHILD should do differently?  Even in the military, we took cover before we shot back.  Now, unless you expect this 1st grader to pull a glock out of his backpack, I would say this is exactly what you should do.

Ohh dial back the sarcasm.

I would teach the process.  But by thunder it wouldn’t be the first thing a kid sees when they walk into the room on day one of their schooling. 

You make school a safe place, but you don’t make the “duck, cover and shut up” process the forefront of their lives. The kids are already terrified enough just being at school, let alone reminding them that there is a chance they’ll be murdered while they’re there!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ohh dial back the sarcasm.

I would teach the process.  But by thunder it wouldn’t be the first thing a kid sees when they walk into the room on day one of their schooling. 

You make school a safe place, but you don’t make the “duck, cover and shut up” process the forefront of their lives. The kids are already terrified enough just being at school, let alone reminding them that there is a chance they’ll be murdered while they’re there!

Considering this is the last month of school in every US state, and this is the first you are hearing about this...you are wrong again.  You think this story went unnoticed for the past 8 months?  Who said one thing on a whiteboard is making it the forefront of their lives?  Only you.  I have two kids that go to school in the United States.  You don't.  They are not terrified to go to school.  They are sad for school to end.  But, they do know what to do if something bad happens at school.  You can't just make up things and try to pass it off as facts.  The next comment you make, show me a link with facts, or you are just wasting my time, and aren't worthy of a response.

• Like 2

Back when I was in school we had the nuke drills.  Years later we came to find out that hiding under the desk did nothing and the purpose of the policy was to give the impression that something could be done to keep you safe.  It was a false hope.

I view this nursery rhyme the same way.  A pleasant lie.  Something to make the kids and parents think they could do to be safer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1