Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

€36,000 found stashed in confessional box

Still Waters

Rome police and clergy at a church near the Vatican have been left baffled after a package containing €36,000 (£31,500) was found in a confessional box.

Police were called to Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornaci on Wednesday to investigate what priests originally feared might have been a bomb. They instead found wads of €50 notes hidden beneath the priest’s chair in the confessional box.

Police suspect the money may have been left by a generous benefactor or someone repentant after acquiring the cash through illicit means.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/08/priest-finds-36000-stashed-confessional-box-rome-church

€36,000 = 42,366.64 USD

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Whoa...somebody feels pretty damn guilty. 

Not guilty enough to get punished......:lol:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Not guilty enough to get punished......:lol:

The laugh is actually on them IMO....I believe the ‘real’ punishment comes after we leave this world.

• Like 2

There could be a priest cursing his luck.  (That his share of the loot was found by Father Panic)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sinner: Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.

Priest: Well, that'll cost ya.:P

• Like 1

I left it by mistake. My bad.
Can I have it back?

• Haha 1

Wow...could just be me looking deeper into the article, but it sounds like from the statements , that the investigators already figure they are taking the cash . Saying, it was possibly supposed to be donated to the church ... who puts 42k in mattresses and means to donate it to the church lol... then they say it’s from illegal activities, possibly.  It sounds like the government is keeping it lol.

• Haha 1