Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Unusual Tournament

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Bourdain was a larger-than-life figure -- a gifted chef and storyteller who used his books and shows to explore culture, cuisine and the human condition. 
"Tony was a symphony," his friend and fellow chef Andrew Zimmern said Friday.

wasn't entirely sure where i should have posted this, thinking that he was a food and travel writer i though it fitting that it should be here in this 'world' section... any way, being a foodie and wanna-be traveller, i loved this guy's shows and it just highlights what a terrible affliction mental illness can be. 

anyway, a truely entertaining chap with an excellent outlook on culture and the similarities people in general have all over the world.  

Why did he hang himself ? he had money, ect, what are the motives for a  suicide ?

Dude could come off as a bit of a pr**k,smart ass,and an ass hole when it came to his profession...guess that's why i liked him :lol:

But he also came across as REAL to himself with little "show" for the cameras and a down to earth zest for life.

Never know what is going on in someone else's head or the pain they may be feeling...

R.I.P. Anthony... you were a REAL "character" without trying to be one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Honestly Docy the way the dude had aged the past 10 years since REALLY getting well known,i'd take a wild guess that he may have gotten a "monkey on his back" along with the fame...i dunno,just a guess

But if money equalled happiness well...i could fill the next 10 pages up with why question marks... :hmm:

• Like 3

I was freaked by hearing this was suicide. My son and I have been followers of his stuff for many years and talk about him a lot.

As this is UM, I will present this additional thought here:

Bourdain was to me this very stereotypical bohemian, liberal, humanist, atheist type. I just have to wonder if atheist types can more readily fall deeper into feeling darkness, hopelessness and pointlessness than believers.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Honestly Docy the way the dude had aged the past 10 years since REALLY getting well known,i'd take a wild guess that he may have gotten a "monkey on his back" along with the fame...i dunno,just a guess

I hate to stereotype but having spent a fair amount of time in kitchens I think its fair to say Anthony had a monkey on his back long before it started to show. 

This is the first celebrity that death that I can think of that has truly made me sad. Dude was an icon

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I hate to stereotype but having spent a fair amount of time in kitchens I think its fair to say Anthony had a monkey on his back long before it started to show. 

This is the first celebrity that death that I can think of that has truly made me sad. Dude was an icon

yeah bud,not talking about his biggest show...just talking about maybe the last 10-12 years...

I don't follow msm much and never really have,the last 5 1/2 years i've participated here have been moreso than ever lol...

He has popped up even in health articles through the years recently...but that 50's+,really veiny,leathery look on a 135 lb'er...he REALLY started getting that Keith Richards look...you know what i'm saying :hmm:

I agree,he was a damn icon in his field!...i havn't really seen much of him in his last shows...i just remember him mostly since the mid 2000's - about '13.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Tony's monkey was heroin for most of his adult life and depression. you wouldn't have known by his ability to enjoy travel and good food. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I was freaked by hearing this was suicide. My son and I have been followers of his stuff for many years and talk about him a lot.

As this is UM, I will present this additional thought here:

Bourdain was to me this very stereotypical bohemian, liberal, humanist, atheist type. I just have to wonder if atheist types can more readily fall deeper into feeling darkness, hopelessness and pointlessness than believers.

i can see that. 

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Tony's monkey was heroin for most of his adult life and depression. you wouldn't have known by his ability to enjoy travel and good food. 

Well..there you go...

I never knew much about the guys personal life...never read his books...

As i said,i remember him mostly from his shows on the discovery/travel channels and always "got" what he shared there...

Life and death isn't politics or vice versa...

• Like 1

I strongly suspect addiction of some type (as many have already mentioned). 

I'm only a couple years older than Mr Bourdain and I've seen far too many of my contemporaries go down this road. Other than a small glass of wine I just won't put anything into my body. A few years ago I had hernia surgery, upon leaving the hospital the only pain medicine I took was ibuprofen (Advil). My generation has had a real affiliation for drugs of all sorts...and it was not a good choice to have made. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lilly said:

I strongly suspect addiction of some type (as many have already mentioned). 

I'm only a couple years older than Mr Bourdain and I've seen far too many of my contemporaries go down this road. Other than a small glass of wine I just won't put anything into my body. A few years ago I had hernia surgery, upon leaving the hospital the only pain medicine I took was ibuprofen (Advil). My generation has had a real affiliation for drugs of all sorts...and it was not a good choice to have made. 

addiction certainly. but the way i see it Tony Bourdain had a dark personality and was drawn to all things dark. there are countless people like that and if they can't find illegal drugs they'll immerse themselves into legal ones or anything else that gives them escape from the inner demons that toil in their heads . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I always really liked him and his shows.  So eloquent in the way he spoke.  I guess just goes to show money and fame don't buy happiness...we've all seen it often enough.  Still doesn't seem real, though.

it was always like Bourdain was just respectful and sometimes not so... passing through the many food journeys and places he was visiting. showing up and then leaving for another destination and it would seem he checked out of life the same way. 

I did enjoy watching Anthony Bourdain for years with his many culinary adventures.  I always admired his no holds barred attitude, although it could be a bit much when he did not like someone.  I feel for his family and friends.  :(   

• Like 2

I didn't know or assume anything about his personal life.

It is a surprise that someone so successful would commit suicide.

RiP Tony ... pots and pans Mr Bourdain , pots and pans ...

~

[00.03:33]

~

~

Edited by third_eye
Wonky LINK embed
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, ChaosRose said:

It is a surprise that someone so successful would commit suicide.

Actually that's not the case. People who are wealthy and successful commit suicide. The problems that lead to taking ones life frequently can't be 'fixed' with money or fame (fame sometimes makes things worse actually). Addiction, mental health issues, personal relationship issues, physical illness...none of these things can be fixed with fame and fortune. 

• Like 2

As an FYI ... environmental risk factors for suicide include war, disaster, stresses related to acculturation, discrimination, sense of isolation, abuse, violence, and conflictual relationships. Among the personal risk factors prior suicide attempt, existing psychological conditions e.g. PTSD, family history, illness, chronic pain, alcohol, and financial issues appear most frequently in the research. Protective factors, and I am largely citing the WHO, are most importantly social support systems also spirituality as an access to a socially supportive community, lifestyle resilience practices of positive coping skills, good self-efficacy, self-esteem, and effective problem-solving skills. There is a suicide every forty seconds and likely twenty attempts for every completed suicide. Suicide is highest in older people, but is the second leading cause of death for 15 to 29 year olds. If you suspect a potential suicide, remember it's okay to question the person, persuade the person to get help, and refer the person to a qualified resource.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, CrimsonKing said:

Well..there you go...

I never knew much about the guys personal life...never read his books...

As i said,i remember him mostly from his shows on the discovery/travel channels and always "got" what he shared there...

Life and death isn't politics or vice versa...

i never read his books either but i did read about him in dribs and drabs. like its already been mentioned, he had an interesting take on things which appealed to me and many others.  

now that he has passed away i wonder if there is some etiquette or unwritten rules or procedures on airing his shows? maybe a spoiler or preamble mentioning his passing away or even information on depression and who to reach out too... 

• 1 month later...

I was hooked on heroin for 5 or 6 years, I study opiates effects on the brain, ect, if he was aging from it it was most likely the other bull**** it was mixed with. It's not like alcohol that straight rips (burns) the body from the inside out. But the cut in it can have many negative effects.

1 hour ago, -Nuke- said:

I was hooked on heroin for 5 or 6 years

Ugh, my condolences. I had a pain pill addiction (~10 years ago) that lasted a couple years but managed to kick it thanks to an amazing support structure. I'm not gonna blame my docs nobody forced me to do anything but I mean they didn't help. I have a horrendous pain condition (cluster headaches) which is commonly treated by straight o2 but my doc rolled his eyes when I brought this up and wrote me a script. 60 percs with refills. Cost like under $10 for each fill. The pain condition is so bad that pills cant phase it so I just ended up taking them for fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

Ugh, my condolences. I had a pain pill addiction (~10 years ago) that lasted a couple years but managed to kick it thanks to an amazing support structure. I'm not gonna blame my docs nobody forced me to do anything but I mean they didn't help. I have a horrendous pain condition (cluster headaches) which is commonly treated by straight o2 but my doc rolled his eyes when I brought this up and wrote me a script. 60 percs with refills. Cost like under $10 for each fill. The pain condition is so bad that pills cant phase it so I just ended up taking them for fun.

That's how I started, before CRISP system was out, I could send people to many doctors, and they could write 360 oxycodone 30s and 180 oxycontin 80s (before they were plastic) then it got regulated, and formulas changed, and people could only get 120 30s max, but their tolerance didn't help because how much they were prescribed. So they went to the streets for their opiates. But being real I didn't have pain, I started recreational and took advantage of people in pain because I had the doctors. But alot has changed. I'm just glad you didn't keep going. Very good job.

Have you tried nuerontin with it (non narcotic, non opiate) I've heard alot of miracles with 3x800mg a day, now it has been abused, but isn't like a narcotic, its the best non narcotic i know of for pain. If they give you enough.

2 hours ago, -Nuke- said:

Have you tried nuerontin with it (non narcotic, non opiate) I've heard alot of miracles with 3x800mg a day, now it has been abused, but isn't like a narcotic, its the best non narcotic i know of for pain. If they give you enough.

No. Kind of long story but I basically stopped taking anything the docs recommend. Short version is when trying different meds out for the headaches (also epilepsy) I've had crazy side effects and the docs just kinda shrug the shoulders and throw different pills at me. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet but one of the meds had me picking fights. The docs aren't liable for anything so if I went to jail it'd be no skin off their back. I can't trust them. Also mildly annoys me they willy nilly throw pills around they never have to take. I do take depekote for the epilepsy and it seems to work ok, no real side effects. For the headaches around last year I tried micro dosing psylocibin (well known treatment amongst CH folks) and my god it changed my life. I was more or less paralyzed w/ headaches for months at a time, year after year since I was 16 with the headaches. 1 micro dosing treatment from that and I STILL haven't had an inkling of a headache. Truly changed my life. It's beyond winning the lottery I don't think I can describe what it's like to folks who haven't had cluster headaches. I suppose it's kinda like if you were paralyzed from the waist down then suddenly one day you can run like usain bolt.

I will say the one time I had a kinda cool side effect is when they had me on lyrica, it gave me lucid dreams every night. 

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 2