Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars rocket to have running track, claims Musk

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Mars rocket to have running track, claims Musk

Well, I can certainly see the need to maintain both mental and physical fitness during such a long journey.

And it should be noted, as we all know, that physical fitness is important to proper mental fitness in regards to blood circulation in the brain, production of natural endorphins, and a generally heightened sense of well-being and self-accomplishment.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

The problem with using centripetal force as a gravity substitute in space travel is the scale necessary. If the wheel isn't large enough then a person will experience their feet moving faster than their head, which would be very disorienting. Even a small difference makes it very difficult to maintain equilibrium. Technically this happens on earth, but the scale is so huge we don't notice it.

I read something on this a while back and the size of the wheel would have to be prohibitively enormous to keep people from getting sick or flinging their coffee about while trying to walk steadily forward.

Edited by Calibeliever
spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

I read something on this a while back and the size of the wheel would have to be prohibitively enormous to keep people from getting sick or flinging their coffee about while trying to walk steadily forward.

Why does it have to be a wheel shape? The same effect can be achieved with much smaller craft (at a much lower cost) by using a tether and a counter balance.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why does it have to be a wheel shape? The same effect can be achieved with much smaller craft (at a much lower cost) by using a tether and a counter balance.

Oh yeah, I'm sure simulated gravity is solvable. I was just commenting on a wheel as a running track. It would have to be one big wheel. I'm sure someone out there has done the math by now. 

Edited by Calibeliever
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure simulated gravity is solvable. I was just commenting on a wheel as a running track. It would have to be one big wheel. I'm sure someone out there has done the math by now. 

Ah, I see your point.

• Like 2