Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost tapes solve 40-year-old Moon mystery

UM-Bot

How interesting! Seeming such a minor factor and it caused this.....

• Like 5

This is extremely disappointing.

I was hoping for tapes of Nazareth or maybe Aerosmith. :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, acute said:

This is extremely disappointing.

I was hoping for tapes of Nazareth or maybe Aerosmith. :hmm:

Nah I astral walked and got all of those years ago :whistle:

• Like 1

:lol: What a load of old codswallop! Codswallop #1: the tapes being 'lost' and then 'found'. Codswallop #2: the reason for the rise in heat.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

:lol: What a load of old codswallop! Codswallop #1: the tapes being 'lost' and then 'found'. Codswallop #2: the reason for the rise in heat.

I totally agree with this promising potential rant!

The whole thing sounds like disinformation to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

climate warming is now going to be blamed on lost tapes, you watch :angry:  !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

For anyone interested in some of the facts pertaining to this....

Back in those days, there weren't very many ways to reliably store data, and tapes were often used.  They are big and bulky, difficult to store and retrieve, and making copies was very time consuming so it usually wasn't done.  And frankly, NASA's storage systems sucked...

In the mid to late seventies, one of the largest tape manufacturers ran into archival problems with their tapes, and good quality tapes became almost impossible to buy in the quantities needed by NASA.  So they were forced into re-organising their systems, and then had to make decisions about finding tapes that were less crucial or had been copied to other formats, and writing over them - they needed to store data coming in from all the newer satellites and missions, so they had no choice.  Chaos reigned for a while, and some tapes were irretrievably 'lost', eg the original footage of Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon.  Sure, the tapes had been backed up to a different format, so the NASA admin folks thought it was OK to just re-use them... not realising that some quality had been lost in the copying...

Anyways, the point is - the storage abilities we have to day simply weren't available back then, so tape problems like these are just something we had to live with.

As for the temperature issue, is is easy to see from the overhead shots taken by the Lunar Orbiter, that the areas where they landed and walked and drove did and still do have a very different reflectivity (or Albedo).  The amount of sunlight that soaks into the ground is obviously going to be the major component of any temperature readings.   And anyone who has walked on light concrete versus black asphalt on a hot day in bare feet... will probably have picked the difference rather easily... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yeah towards the end of my military time I was working on the first DTED data base for Air Force mission planning computers and even then the data storage was unreal and bulky and transforming the DTED from the defense mapping agency into the format we needed was agonizingly slow and a massive effort. Two of us did it, just because it was easier than trying to teach a third our system until we got the one baseline done. 

First one filled an office.

• Like 1

And one more thing on the temperature effect... to make it even less like earth... it's not just the vacuum...  The lunar regolith (aka dirt) is very unusual..  Because of all the meteorite impacts and high temperature dust therefrom, it contains a lot of tiny small glass-like globules.  These make the surface very directionally reflective and create a very strong heilegenschein effect, which basically means the surface is very good at reflecting light back pretty much the same way it came in, just like a reflective sign.  Thus, disturbing that regolith so it is not as smooth / flattened out is likely to have more of an affect than it would here on earth.

Like everything once you get off the planet - things may be complicated and not as you might expect..

• Like 1

I would have thought EVERYTHING related to the Moon missions would have been carefully documented, cross referenced, securely stored and copied to new media when possible. Guess not.

Edited by UFOwatcher
something ate part of my comment
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

I would have thought EVERYTHING related to the Moon missions would have been carefully documented, cross referenced, securely stored and copied to new media when possible. Guess not.

Everything important WAS.  This was hardly a moon-shattering experiment...  So would you care to be specific?  The Apollo missions were, without question, the most comprehensively documented human enterprise up to that point, and probably would still rank highly.  Pretty much anything you need to know, can be found.

So test me out.... is there something you would like me to reference for you?  A question you would like to ask?  Sure, given that back in those days there was a HUGE amount of paperwork - none of which was able to be digitised - some will have been lost/misfiled or was not thought to be important at the time (eg do you think we need to know what the meal menus at the mission control canteen were?), but that applies to any project you could name, even now.

May I ask if you have some doubts about the veracity of the missions?  If so, how about you pony up with the best evidence you have (or don't have) for that and we can start a new thread.  Otherwise, this would seem to be a rather frivolous 'complaint'.

• Confused 1