Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

'Shocking' die-off of Africa's oldest trees

13 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Some of Africa's oldest and biggest baobab trees—a few dating all the way back to the ancient Greeks—have abruptly died, wholly or in part, in the past decade, researchers said Monday.

The trees, aged between 1,100 and 2,500 years and some as wide as a bus is long, may have fallen victim to climate change, the team speculated.

"We report that nine of the 13 oldest... individuals have died, or at least their oldest parts/stems have collapsed and died, over the past 12 years," they wrote in the scientific journal Nature Plants, describing "an event of an unprecedented magnitude."

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-die-off-africa-oldest-baobabs.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Piney

Read this earlier. Depressing to see Grandfathers like that dying off. I see it as another sign things are gonna get uglier..:(

• Like 4

Noxasa

I don't get depressed when a tree dies.  It's a tree for God's sake, plant a new one. 

Anyhow, these trees have lived through mini-ice ages and various periods of more severe environmental changes through the centuries than what has happened in the past 50 years, so I seriously doubt a fraction of a degree of natural temperature change has killed them off.  Why they go for the "climate change" excuse is amusing if not more than a bit sad.  Evolutionary life is just not that fragile, If it was these trees never would have survived even a season and would definitely not have evolved to their present form.  Evolution just doesn't produce fragile living organisms that have thousand of year life spans.  These trees earned their place in nature by not being so fragile.  If someone said that some guy was going around poisoning them then that would at least be plausible, but "climate change?"  Not!

Edited by Noxasa
  • Like 3

John Allanson

Could be that they got old.

TripGun

I agree that climate change is too easy to say, more likely a poisoned food source. 

Echoes

Probably ate at a McDonald's - that causes anything to die off. Even if it is a bloody tree. :lol:

Edited by Echoes

A rather obscure Bassoon

They got old and died, where's the big mystery.

As quoted in the article speculation.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon
On 6/11/2018 at 6:52 PM, Piney said:

Read this earlier. Depressing to see Grandfathers like that dying off. I see it as another sign things are gonna get uglier..:(

In what way?

Things live and then they die, is it not the way the Universe rolls.

qxcontinuum

They died in the same time or historically within the same century. I also blame climate change but that being said how are the youngest doing ?

Piney
8 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

In what way?

I watched too many trees die off do to invasive insects and diseases.  I watched whole mountains disappear and turned into ashy moonscapes Desert and prairie become stripmines. Old forest get logged out.

The loss of wilderness is depressing  for someone who lives and works in it. 

• Like 1

krone

In the past 100 years, climate change increased... pollution increased... lots of trees suddenly died... lots of bees suddenly fell out of the sky... lots of fish suddenly washed up on the shores. But sure, let's just call it a 'mystery' rather than a probable consequence of over-consumption, overpopulation and overdevelopment by humans.

Edited by krone
  • Like 1

krone
On 6/12/2018 at 4:34 PM, Noxasa said:

I don't get depressed when a tree dies.  It's a tree for God's sake, plant a new one. 

Anyhow, these trees have lived through mini-ice ages and various periods of more severe environmental changes through the centuries than what has happened in the past 50 years, so I seriously doubt a fraction of a degree of natural temperature change has killed them off.  Why they go for the "climate change" excuse is amusing if not more than a bit sad.  Evolutionary life is just not that fragile, If it was these trees never would have survived even a season and would definitely not have evolved to their present form.  Evolution just doesn't produce fragile living organisms that have thousand of year life spans.  These trees earned their place in nature by not being so fragile.  If someone said that some guy was going around poisoning them then that would at least be plausible, but "climate change?"  Not!

Interesting how you managed to completely avoid raising the subject of manmade pollution in this post. Can't recall any point in history when plastics, PCBs, mercury, microfiber etc. were being dumped into the air, land and water in such vast amounts. Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with all these 'mystery' die-offs?

• Thanks 1

Jon the frog

They probably installed some well in the area and pumped water a lot faster than the recuperation time, causing water level in the ground to drop drastically causing the tree to die. Seen that, common cause of tree dying in arid area.