Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill Maher Wants an Economic Recession

Aquila King

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, if there's the illusion of a good economy...

which was the whole point Bill Maher was making...

You do realize if the economy tanks it effects minorities too? It ain't just us white breads of which you are one of?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You do realize if the economy tanks it effects minorities too? It ain't just us white breads of which you are one of?

This isn't about Bill Maher hoping for a healthy economy to tank.

This is about Bill Maher believing the economy is going to tank...as it always does with this trickle down crap (spoiler alert: nothing ever trickles down)...and hoping for timing that ousts Trump. 

Because he believes Trump is a danger to democracy. 

Edited by ChaosRose

Bill Maher, what a repulsive little twerp.  I wish serial killers would kill more so they would be easier to catch.  Idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Because he believes Trump is a danger to democracy.

And you still haven't answered how Trump is a danger to democracy.

Just now, Michelle said:

And you still haven't answered how Trump is a danger to democracy.

Yes...I have.

Did ya miss the POTUS believes he can pardon himself?

Just because you don't believe that's a danger to democracy doesn't mean that other people don't. 

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Yes...I have.

Just because you don't believe that's a danger to democracy doesn't mean that other people don't. 

Trump says a lotta stupid crap,if he did/does something majorly stupid and illegal and then tries to pardon himself i will join you in protest and anger!

Until then...thinking,saying,and doing are all different things...i'm not ready for the US to become a country who enforces laws by using the "Thought police" ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

He said he "thought he could" if he needed to. So now that makes him a "king" who can't be voted out? That's his opinion, just like Mahers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

He said he "thought he could" if he needed to. So now that makes him a "king" who can't be voted out? That's his opinion, just like Mahers.

Oh sure...now it's just an opinion.

Until he tries to.

And then it will be a Constitutional crisis. 

I don't like when a POTUS causes those things...or even hints at causing them. 

It makes me nervous about democracy, and obviously, I'm not the only one. 

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Trump says a lotta stupid crap,if he did/does something majorly stupid and illegal and then tries to pardon himself i will join you in protest and anger!

Until then...thinking,saying,and doing are all different things...i'm not ready for the US to become a country who enforces laws by using the "Thought police" ;)

Here's the thing. If there was any chance he might be checked and balanced by Congress...people wouldn't be as nervous as they are.

But that's not the case. 

Join the club. It made me nervous when Obama talked about his third term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Join the club. It made me nervous when Obama talked about his third term.

Actually, that was Obama supporters who joked about a third term because they loved him.

Obama actually said that he referred everyone to the Constitution and his wife on why that couldn't happen.

But Trump says President for life...maybe we should try that sometime. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Obama actually said that he referred everyone to the Constitution and his wife on why that couldn't happen.

Then they wanted his wife to run with his platform.

Just now, Michelle said:

Then they wanted his wife to run with his platform.

Maybe Obama supporters did want that. 

Did she?

No.

Why are we talking about it?

Here's the thing. If there was any chance he might be checked and balanced by Congress...people wouldn't be as nervous as they are.

But that's not the case. 

With the idiots we constantly elect on both sides,i wouldn't be shocked if they had no clue weather or not he could or couldn't pardon himself...

Our elected idiots are more concerned once in office if johnny up the street is smoking a joint or if Bruce jenner can use any toilet he/she wishes...

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

With the idiots we constantly elect on both sides,i wouldn't be shocked if they had no clue weather or not he could or couldn't pardon himself...

Our elected idiots are more concerned once in office if johnny up the street is smoking a joint or if Bruce jenner can use any toilet he/she wishes...

They're most concerned with who's gonna fund their next campaign.

If we got big money out of politics, then we'd really have something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

They're most concerned with who's gonna fund their next campaign.

If we got big money out of politics, then we'd really have something.

But what would the swamp denizens do for gainful employment? :unsure:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh sure...now it's just an opinion.

Until he tries to.

And then it will be a Constitutional crisis. 

I don't like when a POTUS causes those things...or even hints at causing them. 

Balh blah blah, I heard the conservatives make nearly the exact same hissy fit when Obama was the president. 

• Like 2

I just can't ever understand how these hollywood multi millionairs can go on tv and spew their nonsense acting as if they are regular everyday average joes and that their "platform" helps give the little people a voice...

Then they go out,commit multiple crimes and just buy their way outta trouble.

When i see these idiots giving the little folks their daily pep talk and saying everything that goes against logic and reason,and then the little folks fall all over themselves clapping and heaping praise...just leaves me at a loss for words :blink:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

If the POTUS is above the law,

You guys are the only ones repeating this untruth.  No president can be indicted WHILE SITTING AS PRESIDENT.  Their terms end and THEN they are fully liable to the law just like anyone else.  The thing is, that requires actual evidence and proof - unlike removal by means of Impeachment.  Every one of the Democrats that are whining about this invulnerability of a president would be yelling in support of it if a Dem were the president under attack - and you know it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I wanted to make this thread for a number of reasons.

2) I think Bill Maher is demonstrably wrong about the state of the economy. We're currently in the typical republican boom-bust cycle of economic growth, where the wealthy and corporations are booming due to massive tax cuts, but soon the middle class and poor will run out of money to spend on things from having all their wealth sucked up to the top, and we'll hit yet another recession. It happened under Bush, it'll happen again under Trump. Just give it time.

Just curious...

How do you figure ONLY the wealthy and (evil-LOL) corporations are booming

to:

The middle class and poor will run out of money by having all their money sucked up to the top?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh psssh.

What he wants is for Trump to be voted out of office because he sees the dangers to democracy that he poses.

He's not wishing hardships on people. 

He pretty much thinks what you think. That the bottom's gonna fall out, and that it will affect the vote. 

Wanna wish that the bottom doesn't fall out and we get this for another 4 years?

I didn't think so. 

I think it's outrageous that you're calling this disgusting, when he pretty much thinks exactly the same way you do.

There'll be plenty of Trump supporters ready to crucify Bill Maher over this. They don't need you to help. 

This is a matter of principle Rose, not partisanship.

The whole point of politics is policy. Politics is about finding what policies are best for the well-being of the nation and it's people. So when you say something like "I'm hoping for an economic crash so that Trump doesn't stand a chance of getting elected", what you're essentially saying is "I'm putting tribal loyalty to the team above the well-being of the American people." This is exactly the opposite reason for what you should be in politics for.

You want to spin this into Bill Maher saying that an economic crash is inevitably coming, and that that will naturally cause people to vote against Trump, which I would agree with, but he didn't say that. He said he wished a crash would come so that people would vote against Trump. He's essentially saying he wishes more people would suffer financially so that they could have a clear reason to vote Trump out of office. That is the very definition of tribalistic partisanship. Putting party-loyalty above the well-being of the American people.

Rose, you and I both know how much it drives us all crazy how so many Trump supporters will absolutely bend over backwards to defend every single outrageous thing Trump does and says day after day after day. In so many Trumpers' eyes, the man could do no wrong. Because they put loyalty to him and the republican party above all else. That's why they defend the blatantly indefensible, such as people marching alongside Nazis in Charlottesville being called 'very fine people', or Trump's 's**thole countries' remarks, or Trump bragging about committing sexual assault on the Access Hollywood tape, etc. They defend it not because it deserves a defense, and not even because they necessarily support or agree with it at all (of course some do, and those are the most disgusting ones of the bunch, but anywho), they defend it because they have some tribalistic mentality that causes them to feel the need to defend the dude's constant barrage of outrageous bulls**t simply because he's on 'their team'. They do so for purely partisan reasons, and to people like you and me it's clear as day.

Now please, go back and re-read your quote above and tell me with a straight face that you aren't doing the same thing with Bill Maher. I'm listening...

You're twisting his words by saying "Well, what he really meant was..." which is exactly what Trumpers do regarding Trump's bulls**t remarks all the time. You're reminding me that Bill Maher thinks what I think and believes the same things I do, so I shouldn't be criticizing him essentially because we're on 'the same team'. You find it 'outrageous' that I find his remarks disgusting because he and I agree politically on many things, and therefore that somehow means that he isn't wrong on this one issue or that I should defend him on that simply because we agree on other things politically.

See? This is exactly the kind of thing that I'm calling out here. This is what has to stop, and is what I believe to be causing this great division in the country right now. If you think the dems are immune to rank tribalistic partisanship then think again. Bill Maher was doing it by placing the well-being of the American people below on his priority list of that of ousting Trump from the office of the presidency, and now you're doing it here by defending Maher and twisting his words to mean something he didn't say.

Yes, this isn't nearly as outrageous as many of the things Trump has said and done, and overall I think Maher is WAY, WAY, better than Trump on pretty much every issue. However in this particular case, he happens to be wrong.

We can't be disgusted and irritated with right-wing tribalism whilst participating in left-wing tribalism, lest we be hypocrites. In order to truly distinguish ourselves from all the rest, we have to be willing to prove ourselves dedicated to the policies that we believe in above all else, and stand solely on principle, not partisanship. I'm not saying that I myself am perfect at doing this all the time. After all, tribalism to some extent is built into our psychology. It's human nature to associate ourselves as a part of the group, and then to defend that group no matter what. However we have to be willing to fight against that natural impulse whenever the situation demands it, and in this case it does.

What Bill Maher said was wrong. That doesn't mean his other policies are wrong, nor does it mean that he should be fired or apologize or whatever for it, nor does it mean that it's anywhere near as bad as many of Trump's comments. It simply means that he was wrong, and as a matter of principle I felt the need to call him out for it. It's as simple as that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to throw this out there I don't really remember any outrage during November of 2016 when the media thought Clinton was going to win and were tossing around the idea of pardoning herself to get rid of the private server scandal.

"By law, she could actually pardon herself and clear the record.  A president can pardon any person, including the president."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/01/will-hillary-clinton-be-impeached-over-emails-if-she-becomes-pre/amp/

"If Clinton were indicted and became president, she probably could pardon herself, according to Banzhaf. And if she did that, and someone wanted to challenge the pardon, it is doubtful any potential plaintiff would have standing to sue, he says."

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/does_presidents_pardon_authority_extend_to_a_self_pardon/

Just find it funny how when it was about if Clinton could pardon herself it was a legal discussion and how she could probably do it, with Trump it's an assault on democracy and outright illegal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

This is a matter of principle Rose, not partisanship.

The whole point of politics is policy. Politics is about finding what policies are best for the well-being of the nation and it's people. So when you say something like "I'm hoping for an economic crash so that Trump doesn't stand a chance of getting elected", what you're essentially saying is "I'm putting tribal loyalty to the team above the well-being of the American people." This is exactly the opposite reason for what you should be in politics for.

You want to spin this into Bill Maher saying that an economic crash is inevitably coming, and that that will naturally cause people to vote against Trump, which I would agree with, but he didn't say that. He said he wished a crash would come so that people would vote against Trump. He's essentially saying he wishes more people would suffer financially so that they could have a clear reason to vote Trump out of office. That is the very definition of tribalistic partisanship. Putting party-loyalty above the well-being of the American people.

Rose, you and I both know how much it drives us all crazy how so many Trump supporters will absolutely bend over backwards to defend every single outrageous thing Trump does and says day after day after day. In so many Trumpers' eyes, the man could do no wrong. Because they put loyalty to him and the republican party above all else. That's why they defend the blatantly indefensible, such as people marching alongside Nazis in Charlottesville being called 'very fine people', or Trump's 's**thole countries' remarks, or Trump bragging about committing sexual assault on the Access Hollywood tape, etc. They defend it not because it deserves a defense, and not even because they necessarily support or agree with it at all (of course some do, and those are the most disgusting ones of the bunch, but anywho), they defend it because they have some tribalistic mentality that causes them to feel the need to defend the dude's constant barrage of outrageous bulls**t simply because he's on 'their team'. They do so for purely partisan reasons, and to people like you and me it's clear as day.

Now please, go back and re-read your quote above and tell me with a straight face that you aren't doing the same thing with Bill Maher. I'm listening...

You're twisting his words by saying "Well, what he really meant was..." which is exactly what Trumpers do regarding Trump's bulls**t remarks all the time. You're reminding me that Bill Maher thinks what I think and believes the same things I do, so I shouldn't be criticizing him essentially because we're on 'the same team'. You find it 'outrageous' that I find his remarks disgusting because he and I agree politically on many things, and therefore that somehow means that he isn't wrong on this one issue or that I should defend him on that simply because we agree on other things politically.

See? This is exactly the kind of thing that I'm calling out here. This is what has to stop, and is what I believe to be causing this great division in the country right now. If you think the dems are immune to rank tribalistic partisanship then think again. Bill Maher was doing it by placing the well-being of the American people below on his priority list of that of ousting Trump from the office of the presidency, and now you're doing it here by defending Maher and twisting his words to mean something he didn't say.

Yes, this isn't nearly as outrageous as many of the things Trump has said and done, and overall I think Maher is WAY, WAY, better than Trump on pretty much every issue. However in this particular case, he happens to be wrong.

We can't be disgusted and irritated with right-wing tribalism whilst participating in left-wing tribalism, lest we be hypocrites. In order to truly distinguish ourselves from all the rest, we have to be willing to prove ourselves dedicated to the policies that we believe in above all else, and stand solely on principle, not partisanship. I'm not saying that I myself am perfect at doing this all the time. After all, tribalism to some extent is built into our psychology. It's human nature to associate ourselves as a part of the group, and then to defend that group no matter what. However we have to be willing to fight against that natural impulse whenever the situation demands it, and in this case it does.

What Bill Maher said was wrong. That doesn't mean his other policies are wrong, nor does it mean that he should be fired or apologize or whatever for it, nor does it mean that it's anywhere near as bad as many of Trump's comments. It simply means that he was wrong, and as a matter of principle I felt the need to call him out for it. It's as simple as that.

You spoke ill against another 'Crat and even worse being one of the most high rank...a multi'millionair "hollywood"

You have hereby been banished to the farthest regions of the democrat kingdom!...your years of loneliness and sorrow by being cast into the darkness of partisan purgatory will feel worse than a thousand deaths as time passes by... :angry: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Just curious...

How do you figure ONLY the wealthy and (evil-LOL) corporations are booming

to:

The middle class and poor will run out of money by having all their money sucked up to the top?

All the indicators that economists use to determine the state of the economy are all indicators that only show how well the rich people and corporations in this country are doing, it isn't an accurate reflection of how well regular people are doing economically.

For instance: Who owns the overwhelming majority of stocks? Regular middle-class people don't own stocks, only rich people do. So calculating how well the stock market's doing only shows how well those participating in the stock market are doing, in other words the rich.

Conservatives also love pointing out that the unemployment rate is lower, but what they don't tell you is that statistically a significant portion of higher wage jobs are replaced with lower wage jobs, and any new jobs created are usually minimum wage (which as I keep pointing out, don't pay a living wage to people here either). So essentially, yeah, people now have jobs. But they're underemployed and underpaid, so who gives a s**t that there's less unemployment considering? That's hardly a victory.

Most of these economic indicators people use to determine whether an economy is doing well or not simply measure how well the rich are doing. It doesn't mean s**t about how well regular working people are doing. So when republican economies have all sorts of figures coming out about how well everything is based on these metrics, I know they're simply going through their ballooning phase of economic growth and that sooner or later the bubble's gonna burst.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

You spoke ill against another 'Crat and even worse being one of the most high rank...a multi'millionair "hollywood"

You have hereby been banished to the farthest regions of the democrat kingdom!...your years of loneliness and sorrow by being cast into the darkness of partisan purgatory will feel worse than a thousand deaths as time passes by... :angry: :lol:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3