Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Credit Service Stops Approving Gun Purchases

Dark_Grey

Interesting to say the least.

Credit service shuts down payments on all gun purchases

NYPost
FOXBusiness

Several gun-related businesses were suddenly — and without warning — disrupted in recent weeks when Intuit stopped processing credit card payments because phone and internet sales were gun-related, The Post has learned.

Some of the payments stopped didn’t even involve firearms, but simply T-shirts and coffee mugs and gun safety classes, according to small business owners.

As a result, the businesses had to scramble to track down customers to get them pay their bills after Intuit credited back to customers’ accounts the purchases — even if the T-shirt was already shipped or the class already taken, one businessman told The Post.

"Gun related" - not even a pro gun t-shirt will be approved by Intuit.

Intuit did not return several requests for comment  prior to deadline. It later stated, “As an American company, we respect the US Constitution and all the rights contained in it…For these transactions our bank partner requires them to be done face-to-face…Our policy today requires the customer to be present to swipe their credit card.”

For an actual gun maybe but for an online merchandise purchase? :huh: Why does a coffee mug on Amazon require extra security for payment?

This move will likely cost them business. The divide keeps growing and now it's headed right down the middle of Corporate America. Soon, what you purchase will be equivalent to casting a vote at the ballots.

• Like 8

and the "blame game" keeps going and the division grows deeper. I agree with @and then The divide will create civil unrest to the point where they will have no "safe space" and I will sit on my chair in my little patch of pine trees with my laptops open watching the news and laughing...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is simply pathetic and I would say illegal.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up.  No intentional business with this company of any kind in the future.  :tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

This is simply pathetic and I would say illegal.  

Private business = private rules and that includes denying loans which is what credit is. You don't have to bake a cake for something you don't agree with and the bank doesn't have to approve your purchases of things they don't agree with. Of course, the bank is doing it for petty reasons. 

For anyone too lazy to read the links:

Intuit, the parent of TurboTax and Quicken software

Intuit isn't a "small" credit company by any stretch. Keep an eye on this, @and then as this could become a roundabout way of restricting access to firearms if other banks follow suit.

8 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

this could become a roundabout way of restricting access to firearms if other banks follow suit.

That's exactly what it is now. It's part of a pattern of compensating for nonexistent legislation on very strict gun control. It's like how Google and Facebook censor conservative views when they don't engage in outright anti-conservative propaganda. The two internet behemoths find ways to circumvent the First Amendment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's exactly what it is now. It's part of a pattern of compensating for nonexistent legislation on very strict gun control. It's like how Google and Facebook censor conservative views when they don't engage in outright anti-conservative propaganda. The two internet behemoths find ways to circumvent the First Amendment.

That's a good comparison. This is an area where the rights of private companies can bite us in the derrier. Especially when said companies control wealth

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Private business = private rules and that includes denying loans which is what credit is. You don't have to bake a cake for something you don't agree with and the bank doesn't have to approve your purchases of things they don't agree with. Of course, the bank is doing it for petty reasons. 

For anyone too lazy to read the links:

Intuit isn't a "small" credit company by any stretch. Keep an eye on this, @and then as this could become a roundabout way of restricting access to firearms if other banks follow suit.

I don't think most people borrow money to buy a gun. They use their credit card for convenience. I think most people would just use their debit card, check, or cash. People that want to use a credit card will just get one that allows these purchases. If none existed, people with money will start one and make a bundle.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's a good comparison. This is an area where the rights of private companies can bite us in the derrier. Especially when said companies control wealth

There are checks and balances on such trends, though. It works both ways. Activist companies can be boycotted by consumers if they take things too far. One can find various examples of this "Chick-fil-A strategy".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

One can find various examples of this "Chick-fil-A strategy".

I'm not a Christian, but I admire them for sticking up for their principles. I don't begrudge this company for not letting people access money for a gun. It doesn't mean I have to do business with either one of them though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

There are checks and balances on such trends, though. It works both ways. Activist companies can be boycotted by consumers if they take things too far. One can find various examples of this "Chick-fil-A strategy".

The free market provides. People are quite happy to take their dollars elsewhere when a business gets too..."preachy". The NFL knows what I'm talking about. Facebook alternatives pitching "secure social media" are already popping up. No Government intervention necessary.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Michelle said:

I'm not a Christian, but I admire them for sticking up for their principles. I don't begrudge this company for not letting people access money for a gun. It doesn't mean I have to do business with either one of them though.

That's how capitalism should work. Companies are free to make their own decisions, and consumers and customers are free to make their own reactions to those decisions. A straight baker should have the right to not sell a wedding cake to a gay couple, and a gay baker should have the right to not sell a wedding cake to a straight couple. Both don't have the right to not face consequences for their actions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The free market provides. People are quite happy to take their dollars elsewhere when a business gets too..."preachy". The NFL knows what I'm talking about. Facebook alternatives pitching "secure social media" are already popping up. No Government intervention necessary.

That also holds true for corporations who are bullied or pressured into joining boycotts of conservative shows. After they pull their commercials from those shows, individuals pull their patronage from those companies. That's what happens when corporations wrongly assume that most people support the views of the people who started the boycotts. Act in haste, repent in leisure. 

• Like 2