Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US politician pepper sprays himself

Still Waters

A US Congress candidate has pepper sprayed himself to demonstrate how teachers could protect against school shootings if they had "non-lethal defence tools in every classroom".

Levi Tillemann, a Democrat candidate in Colorado, says there needs to be legislation to protect children in schools.

"I am calling on congress to pass legislation to place secure a can of high-power pepper spray inside a 'break glass in case of emergency' box in every classroom in the country and train teachers how to use this powerful self-defence tool," he said.

"These boxes should be wired into the school's fire alarms, to help ensure that they are only used in true emergencies."

https://news.sky.com/story/us-politician-pepper-sprays-himself-in-call-to-end-school-shootings-11402882

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I actually like it. I did a ton of research regarding pepper spray vs firearm for bear protection and ended up deciding on pepper spray with a 12 gauge chaser. Anyways the science is against a teacher turning into an effective killer with a gun at the drop of a hat when he needs to but it takes a whole lot less skill to flood an area with spray to provide cover for the kids to get away. 

• Like 5

I actually like the idea aswell...

I'm sorry to say it but teachers are nothing more than average everyday people with a job...they aren't all knowing and highly trained in all things,nor do they all have the abilities to do so.

Hell i had teachers when i was in school who knew how to teach,but i wouldn't have trusted them with something so much as a baseball bat in their hands!

Plus this beats the hell outta the "bucket of rocks" idea :wacko:

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I actually like it. I did a ton of research regarding pepper spray vs firearm for bear protection and ended up deciding on pepper spray with a 12 gauge chaser. Anyways the science is against a teacher turning into an effective killer with a gun at the drop of a hat when he needs to but it takes a whole lot less skill to flood an area with spray to provide cover for the kids to get away. 

You guys used to wreak havoc on us with those 3 and 5 pounders. It felt like I was sprayed with a mix of poison ivy and battery acid.  

I think it's the best idea so far even though I recommended it to the Friends (Quaker) School months ago. 

• Like 5

I've been saying it since Sandy Hook.

pepper-spray-guns-500x437.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in college one of my female friends got a bottle of pepper spray for her birthday present.  Of course we all had to play with it.  I have to admit, getting even a smidgen in you eyes pretty much blinds you.  It might not 100% stop someone from shooting but it will definitely stop them from targeting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Back in college one of my female friends got a bottle of pepper spray for her birthday present.  Of course we all had to play with it.  I have to admit, getting even a smidgen in you eyes pretty much blinds you.  It might not 100% stop someone from shooting but it will definitely stop them from targeting. 

When it hits any skin at a high dose it burns and itches at the same time. Then if it sets on you for any length you have blisters and a bad rash. I spent hours at a time in "elbow to ass hole position" covered in it after a rundown or riot. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've also read...Maybe here even...that wasp spray is  good alternative. It's easy to get, it will hurt and blind and it sprays a huge, powerful distance...we had a nest forming last year and whoosh!! You can stand really far away and just douse a nest (bad guy) for quite some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

it is not about weapon whether it is a gun or a spray, it is about someone with balls to use it, and laws protecting them from being sued if they fail. right now you may get in lots of  troubles for trying to save someone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skliss said:

I've also read...Maybe here even...that wasp spray is  good alternative. It's easy to get, it will hurt and blind and it sprays a huge, powerful distance...we had a nest forming last year and whoosh!! You can stand really far away and just douse a nest (bad guy) for quite some time.

Just don't read the label part that mentions the legality for intended use.

In a pinch though it's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

@davros of skaro  What's so friggin funny about your ball sack burning and itching for 5 hours.......:lol:

That might be considered foreplay on an alien planet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, aztek said:

it is not about weapon whether it is a gun or a spray, it is about someone with balls to use it, and laws protecting them from being sued if they fail. right now you may get in lots of  troubles for trying to save someone.

I think teachers would be far more ready to use non-lethals than they would be guns.

• Like 3

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think teachers would be far more ready to use non-lethals than they would be guns.

i have not seen any of that in real world,

21 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Especially when they might have to use them against someone who was quietly sat in their class just yesterday. 

21 hours ago, aztek said:

i have not seen any of that in real world,

But then you're not a teacher, are you? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Especially when they might have to use them against someone who was quietly sat in their class just yesterday. 

But then you're not a teacher, are you? 

No, but he is American so I tend to take his word for things about how they are in His parts of America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No, but he is American so I tend to take his word for things about how they are in His parts of America.

Based on the content of these forums, I think it's safe to say teachers are more similar the world over than Americans even in one town. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

Based on the content of these forums, I think it's safe to say teachers are more similar the world over than Americans even in one town. 

It depends. We have many small towns like Mayberry and then we have burnt out danger zones like Detroit where they have had metal detectors on the school doors and resource officers (police patrolling the halls) for 20 or 30 years or more. You have to adapt to your surroundings and the attitude most certainly is different.

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

It depends. We have many small towns like Mayberry and then we have burnt out danger zones like Detroit where they have had metal detectors on the school doors and resource officers (police patrolling the halls) for 20 or 30 years or more. You have to adapt to your surroundings and the attitude most certainly is different.

Still not convinced it's different enough that people who've dedicated their careers to nurturing young people would be happy to shoot them dead the next day. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

Still not convinced it's different enough that people who've dedicated their careers to nurturing young people would be happy to shoot them dead the next day. 

I don't believe I ever made the claim that a teacher would be happy to shoot down a child in cold blood. I hope you don't twist your student's words in the same way you do mine.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I don't believe I ever made the claim that a teacher would be happy to shoot down a child in cold blood. I hope you don't twist your student's words in the same way you do mine.

You didn't. I didn't say you did. You decided to reply to my response to the person who did, however. 

It's not 'twisting words', it's reading comprehension. And, yes, I do teach that. 

8 minutes ago, Setton said:

You didn't. I didn't say you did. You decided to reply to my response to the person who did, however. 

It's not 'twisting words', it's reading comprehension. And, yes, I do teach that. 

We will have to postpone this conversation. It is 3:30 in the morning here. Among all of the private school teachers I personally know, I haven't encountered a teacher as pompous as you.

What do I know...I'm only a rube.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Setton said:

Well one thing is for sure teachers the world over didn't become teachers so they can multi task as armed security. 

I feel like those pushing for lethally armed teachers have zero concept of the effort it takes to A. be a teacher and B. be proficient and current in combat firearm use. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Well one thing is for sure teachers the world over didn't become teachers so they can multi task as armed security. 

I feel like those pushing for lethally armed teachers have zero concept of the effort it takes to A. be a teacher and B. be proficient and current in combat firearm use. 

Agreed, but they are the one who will be at the spot most of the time in case of a shooting. It makes sense to give them some basic training or put armed guards which might make some people complain that their children feel like they are in jail. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Agreed, but they are the one who will be at the spot most of the time in case of a shooting. It makes sense to give them some basic training or put armed guards which might make some people complain that their children feel like they are in jail. 

I was against the armed guards myself until recently. That comes from personal experience though. My highschool was in a ghetto and was basically a prison with a few more windows and the learning environment was horrific, I have a brother who is 13 years younger than me and by the time he reached HS they had moved form the ghetto and he went to a school that was open and light and holy hell the difference was amazing. 

Watching my own kids fear going to school because of threatened shootings over the last year has changed my position on that. 

I really like the pepper spray idea. I think giving each classroom a can and then giving administrators pepper ball guns would be a good idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1