Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The much-hyped IG report backfires

ExpandMyMind

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Highly educated people, overall, voted in favor of Hillary.

Not to be the spelling police, but the word is spelled i-n-d-o-c-t-r-i-n-a-t-e-d

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hacktorp said:

Not to be the spelling police, but the word is spelled i-n-d-o-c-t-r-i-n-a-t-e-d

EEEaaaasy now. We've had genocide in our lifetimes (ish) as a result of that mindset. 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Also requires a natural ability. One which I most definitely do not have. 

Some mechanics and avionics folks I have known are like freaking wizards. 

No doubt lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Playing fast and loose with the word "most" there guy...

I only have 60 credits in an IT degree but I can't see how many other degrees would differ in that respect. I'd imagine it would be near universal, regardless of the subject. If you or someone else makes a claim, you have to evidence it or verify it, no matter the subject. The skills acquired through learning this process naturally apply to politics and the news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I only have 60 credits in an IT degree but I can't see how many other degrees would differ in that respect. I'd imagine it would be near universal, regardless of the subject. If you or someone else makes a claim, you have to evidence it or verify it, no matter the subject. The skills acquired through learning this process naturally apply to politics and the news.

Yes but those "skills" one learns in their field are just that...skilled in one field,politics are one of the absolute most opinionated fields and that really can't be disputed.

One mans Commie is another mans creator of equality...

18 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yes but those "skills" one learns in their field are just that...skilled in one field,politics are one of the absolute most opinionated fields and that really can't be disputed.

One mans Commie is another mans creator of equality...

I'm not talking about the skills unique to an individual degree though. I'm talking about universal skills needed for any degree (and taught during the course of pretty much all degrees) in order to critically analyse information you read and discern truth from nonsense. Those skills learned can be applied to the information given to us by politicians or news outlets. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm not talking about the skills unique to an individual degree though. I'm talking about universal skills needed for any degree (and taught during the course of pretty much all degrees) in order to critically analyse information you read and discern truth from nonsense. Those skills learned can be applied to the information given to us by politicians or news outlets. 

My course schedules in Health Administration and Aviation Management definitely focused on the processes you mentioned. 

Honestly the nuts and bolts of my career change so regularly those lessons are the ones which have aided me the most in my career. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They "could" be,but politics and news aren't a "hard" science and can be very opinionated and biased...

I can watch CNN and Fox tell me about the exact same story,do research,and still come away with 2 conflicting opinions lol

Hell this IG report wasn't really anything i could see being celebrated or scorned either way as NOTHING changed for either side...yet here we are :lol:

• Like 1

James Comey didn't know Anthony Weiner was married to Clinton aide Huma Abedin

Former FBI Director James Comey admitted to the Justice Department's inspector general that he initially forgot that Anthony Weiner was married to Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, the IG said in a report on the FBI's investigation into Clinton's private email server.

Source

LOL, what a sharp guy! :lol:

<-- and that's coming from a mechanic. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

James Comey didn't know Anthony Weiner was married to Clinton aide Huma Abedin

Source

LOL, what a sharp guy! :lol:

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

ZZ for the win!!! :clap: :nw: :clap:

:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

Wizard! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Wizard! 

"MacGuyver", and "Dr Performance" monikers have been said :lol:

Now, back to our normally scheduled program. :whistle:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

They "could" be,but politics and news aren't a "hard" science and can be very opinionated and biased...

I can watch CNN and Fox tell me about the exact same story,do research,and still come away with 2 conflicting opinions lol

I'll give you an example. Unemployment among minorities is at its lowest ever, so right wing news outlets paint Trump as the best President that minorities have ever had. At face value, this claim might seem logical, because the unemployment rate is indeed at its lowest point ever. But, if you're taught to analyse information like this in context, in the manner we have been discussing, then through quick research you can see that it's not the whole story.

capture_custom-a0c0659382bd9a1cf920dbcd86363a1ada8e3278-s900-c85.png.1bb4b7ab58b985f7e77bef1b93aaf728.png

It has been on a steady downward trend since 2009. Whether or not Trump was elected, it likely would have continued on this trend. So at best you can say 'Trump hasn't upset the downward trend of...'.

Anyone can learn to fact check, but highly educated people are specifically taught how to do so, and so naturally have a better working bull**** detector.

• Like 3

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

but highly educated people are specifically taught how to do so, and so naturally have a better working bull**** detector.

So the above stated is 100% scientific fact eh?

I'm going to have to fact check the studies my good sir! :lol:

Before i do,i gotta call BS...sorry but if all these hillary voters were so highly educated and had supreme bs detectors then theirs would have broken upon the first whiff of Hills herself!

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Before i do,i gotta call BS...sorry but if all these hillary voters were so highly educated and had supreme bs detectors then theirs would have broken upon the first whiff of Hills herself!

Some **** just smells worse than others, I guess B)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Could just be that they decided the stink off Trump was worse than the stink off Hillary. 

In hindsight I would have had a much harder time voting third party had I foreseen how horrific Trump and company would be for the soul of our nation. 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

soul of our nation. 

Sorry that was sold long ago...

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Some **** just smells worse than others, I guess B)

Well i gotta give you points for being creative i suppose :lol:

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

Sorry that was sold long ago...

Somewhat. For me the extension of the corporatocracy , the dilution of reality, the rise and acceptance of racism, and the celebration of ignorance just in the last two years are the real killers for this nation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Somewhat. For me the extension of the corporatocracy , the dilution of reality, the rise and acceptance of racism, and the celebration of ignorance just in the last two years are the real killers for this nation. 

Are they on the rise? Or are the networks cherry picking reports to make it appear so?

• Like 1

Just now, Michelle said:

Are they on the rise? Or are the networks cherry picking reports to make it appear so?

Maybe our presidents "like a father" and "spiritual advisor" Reverend Wright can explain and lead us to a glorious new future...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

No they're on the rise and have been for quite a while. Whats different is they've gone from being viewed as terrorists to being granted a level of political credibility like never before.  

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I think thats probably just a numbers game. People with postgraduate education voted for Clinton over Trump by something like 60%. Considering the FBI requires a decent education odds are there would be fewer Trump voters. 

Education has nothing to do with it, it is all ideology...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

Education has nothing to do with it, it is all ideology...

I know it makes you feel better to believe that, I don't recall seeing the ideology question on the FBI application though. 

Weirdly I do recall there being an education requirement . 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Maybe our presidents "like a father" and "spiritual advisor" Reverend Wright can explain and lead us to a glorious new future...

After Obama was elected there was a lot of hype about how much hate crimes had risen. After 9/11 the same thing. It fits the media's MO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1