Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Tiggs

Space Force

191 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Tiggs

President Donald Trump declared Monday he would move to make a new branch of the military focused solely on space.

"I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces," Trump said during a meeting of the National Space Council.

"Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security," Trump said.

Source: CNBC

Sooo. Arms race waiting to happen, or not?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Ok so what does this actually mean?

Quote

The space corps would have an area of responsibility that encompasses the vast expanse outside of the Earth's atmosphere.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/president-trump-directs-pentagon-defense-department-to-immediately-being-the-process-of-establishing-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch.html

Is he going to send them all out in space ( not such a bad idea, maybe he can employ all the criminals in that role ) or are they going to sit at a computer all day eating donuts while watching satelites? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor

I'm not terribly adverse to furthering space technology.  Seems counter intuitive to what the conservatives have been doing with NASA, though.  But hey, if we just have to add some guns to get them onboard, go for it I say.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad the Mighty

For once the Donald is behind with the news. Doesn't he know this has been going for years? The Secret Space Program: Solar Warden

He really ought to ask his friend Vlad. I'm sure he knows all about it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ok so what does this actually mean?

It means it already exists and NASA figured Trump would be a good fall guy to make it public. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad the Mighty

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

Image result for death star

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
Just now, Vlad the Mighty said:

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

Image result for death star

I signed the petition to make that thing.  That bum Obama said, "No."

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, Vlad the Mighty said:

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

Image result for death star

Man I though for sure you would have posted this:

 

See the source imageSee the source image
 


 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

If he  pulls the military out of South Korea, i guess he has to find  something else for the 28,000 boys to do, this could be it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk

This is just the first step toward a United Earth Space Probe Agency (Starfleet).  It will eventually combine all the services into one.  A Space Force will incorporate the functions of the existing branches.  It will also evolve as did the British military with their era of discovery and scientific exploration.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

He's not talking about storm troopers here.  The truth is that orbit is the ultimate high ground and going into the future whatever power dominates the earth must dominate the space around the earth.  Controlling earth's high orbit makes nukes obsolete, a three meter long tungsten rod dropped from orbit can destroy a city.  Controlling space is essential to defense going into the future.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
34 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He's not talking about storm troopers here.  The truth is that orbit is the ultimate high ground and going into the future whatever power dominates the earth must dominate the space around the earth.  Controlling earth's high orbit makes nukes obsolete, a three meter long tungsten rod dropped from orbit can destroy a city.  Controlling space is essential to defense going into the future.

The Chinese have been aware of this for a while, as have the Russians. If we common folk are talking about it now, assume military leaders have been working on actual programs for years.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss

They better name the first damn ship "The Enterprise" !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Caspian Hare

The fantasy will be colonial Marines shooting xenomorphs with pulse rifles on the moon.

Reality will be a base full of nerdy enlisted guys sitting at computers with anime girl wallpapers.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
2 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

Image result for death star

It’s not gold plated enough to be Donald’s.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sam
3 hours ago, Tiggs said:

President Donald Trump declared Monday he would move to make a new branch of the military focused solely on space.

"I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces," Trump said during a meeting of the National Space Council.

"Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security," Trump said.

Source: CNBC

Sooo. Arms race waiting to happen, or not?

You do realize that the arms race, even though it brings more weapons into the world, it actually brings a whole host of new technology to the world. Sadly that is the fastest way to get technology to take off, through the military end.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
3 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

You do realize that the arms race, even though it brings more weapons into the world, it actually brings a whole host of new technology to the world. Sadly that is the fastest way to get technology to take off, through the military end.

No argument there.  You'd never get republicans to dump a trillion dollars into space science and research.  But a Space Force on the other hand........

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77

Trump : We cant afford Meals on Wheels!

 

Also Trump:   Lets dedicate a gazillion dollars to new and different ways to kill people. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad the Mighty
8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

No argument there.  You'd never get republicans to dump a trillion dollars into space science and research.  But a Space Force on the other hand........

I seem to recall it was Barry H. Obama who pulled the plug on manned spaceflight programs that were under development, leaving America's foothold in space dependent on the Risskies and their fifty year old Soyuz. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, Gromdor said:

No argument there.  You'd never get republicans to dump a trillion dollars into space science and research.  But a Space Force on the other hand........

and you could democrats? NASA was defunded under democrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
4 minutes ago, aztek said:

and you could democrats? NASA was defunded under democrats

Nah, not with democrats either.   They don't really have any say right now, so they don't matter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Caspian Hare

In seriousness it is going to be mostly about reorganizing existing units/assets at first, not building a fleet of space fighters. Expect the agencies that manage things like satellites or space launches to be put under the new branch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
Just now, The Caspian Hare said:

In seriousness it is going to be mostly about reorganizing existing units/assets at first, not building a fleet of space fighters. Expect the agencies that manage things like satellites or space launches to be put under the new branch.

 

Yeah, you are most likely right.  Air Force, Navy, and NASA might lose some parts.  Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing overall.  In fact I think we need yet another division for cyber warfare.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Caspian Hare
Just now, Gromdor said:

Yeah, you are most likely right.  Air Force, Navy, and NASA might lose some parts.  Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing overall.  In fact I think we need yet another division for cyber warfare.

YEah that's a good idea, I think China now has its own cyber command as an independent branch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
1 minute ago, The Caspian Hare said:

YEah that's a good idea, I think China now has its own cyber command as an independent branch.

What we have seems splintered between the FBI, CIA, and the miltary.  It doesn't have to be huge.  The Coast Guard does alright for it's size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.