Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space Force

Tiggs

President Donald Trump declared Monday he would move to make a new branch of the military focused solely on space.

"I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces," Trump said during a meeting of the National Space Council.

"Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security," Trump said.

Source: CNBC

Sooo. Arms race waiting to happen, or not?

• Like 4

Ok so what does this actually mean?

The space corps would have an area of responsibility that encompasses the vast expanse outside of the Earth's atmosphere.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/president-trump-directs-pentagon-defense-department-to-immediately-being-the-process-of-establishing-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch.html

Is he going to send them all out in space ( not such a bad idea, maybe he can employ all the criminals in that role ) or are they going to sit at a computer all day eating donuts while watching satelites? 

• Haha 1

I'm not terribly adverse to furthering space technology.  Seems counter intuitive to what the conservatives have been doing with NASA, though.  But hey, if we just have to add some guns to get them onboard, go for it I say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For once the Donald is behind with the news. Doesn't he know this has been going for years? The Secret Space Program: Solar Warden

He really ought to ask his friend Vlad. I'm sure he knows all about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ok so what does this actually mean?

It means it already exists and NASA figured Trump would be a good fall guy to make it public. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

Image result for death star

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Vlad the Mighty said:

Sneak view of the Donald (or the Emperor to give him his correct title)'s flagship weapon system :

I signed the petition to make that thing.  That bum Obama said, "No."

• Haha 4

Just now, Vlad the Mighty said:

Man I though for sure you would have posted this:

See the source imageSee the source image

• Haha 5

If he  pulls the military out of South Korea, i guess he has to find  something else for the 28,000 boys to do, this could be it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is just the first step toward a United Earth Space Probe Agency (Starfleet).  It will eventually combine all the services into one.  A Space Force will incorporate the functions of the existing branches.  It will also evolve as did the British military with their era of discovery and scientific exploration.

• Thanks 1

He's not talking about storm troopers here.  The truth is that orbit is the ultimate high ground and going into the future whatever power dominates the earth must dominate the space around the earth.  Controlling earth's high orbit makes nukes obsolete, a three meter long tungsten rod dropped from orbit can destroy a city.  Controlling space is essential to defense going into the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He's not talking about storm troopers here.  The truth is that orbit is the ultimate high ground and going into the future whatever power dominates the earth must dominate the space around the earth.  Controlling earth's high orbit makes nukes obsolete, a three meter long tungsten rod dropped from orbit can destroy a city.  Controlling space is essential to defense going into the future.

The Chinese have been aware of this for a while, as have the Russians. If we common folk are talking about it now, assume military leaders have been working on actual programs for years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The fantasy will be colonial Marines shooting xenomorphs with pulse rifles on the moon.

Reality will be a base full of nerdy enlisted guys sitting at computers with anime girl wallpapers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It’s not gold plated enough to be Donald’s.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tiggs said:

President Donald Trump declared Monday he would move to make a new branch of the military focused solely on space.

"I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces," Trump said during a meeting of the National Space Council.

"Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity but a matter of national security," Trump said.

Source: CNBC

Sooo. Arms race waiting to happen, or not?

You do realize that the arms race, even though it brings more weapons into the world, it actually brings a whole host of new technology to the world. Sadly that is the fastest way to get technology to take off, through the military end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

You do realize that the arms race, even though it brings more weapons into the world, it actually brings a whole host of new technology to the world. Sadly that is the fastest way to get technology to take off, through the military end.

No argument there.  You'd never get republicans to dump a trillion dollars into space science and research.  But a Space Force on the other hand........

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Trump : We cant afford Meals on Wheels!

Also Trump:   Lets dedicate a gazillion dollars to new and different ways to kill people. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

No argument there.  You'd never get republicans to dump a trillion dollars into space science and research.  But a Space Force on the other hand........

I seem to recall it was Barry H. Obama who pulled the plug on manned spaceflight programs that were under development, leaving America's foothold in space dependent on the Risskies and their fifty year old Soyuz. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

and you could democrats? NASA was defunded under democrats

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

and you could democrats? NASA was defunded under democrats

Nah, not with democrats either.   They don't really have any say right now, so they don't matter.

• Thanks 1

In seriousness it is going to be mostly about reorganizing existing units/assets at first, not building a fleet of space fighters. Expect the agencies that manage things like satellites or space launches to be put under the new branch.

Just now, The Caspian Hare said:

In seriousness it is going to be mostly about reorganizing existing units/assets at first, not building a fleet of space fighters. Expect the agencies that manage things like satellites or space launches to be put under the new branch.

Yeah, you are most likely right.  Air Force, Navy, and NASA might lose some parts.  Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing overall.  In fact I think we need yet another division for cyber warfare.

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

Yeah, you are most likely right.  Air Force, Navy, and NASA might lose some parts.  Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing overall.  In fact I think we need yet another division for cyber warfare.

YEah that's a good idea, I think China now has its own cyber command as an independent branch.

1 minute ago, The Caspian Hare said:

YEah that's a good idea, I think China now has its own cyber command as an independent branch.

What we have seems splintered between the FBI, CIA, and the miltary.  It doesn't have to be huge.  The Coast Guard does alright for it's size.

• Like 1