Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sadr allies with Iran-backed Iraqi faction

The Caspian Hare

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-06-13/iraqs-al-sadr-joins-forces-with-iran-backed-coalition

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraqi Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose coalition won the largest number of seats in last month's parliamentary elections, has announced an alliance with an Iran-backed coalition ahead of marathon negotiations to form a new government.

The move, announced by al-Sadr and Hadi al-Amiri of the Fatah coalition in the revered southern Shiite city of Najaf, came as a surprise as al-Sadr has been touting himself as a nationalist leader who opposes Iranian influence in Iraq.

The new alliance controls 101 seats, still far from the 165 required for a majority.

At a news conference Tuesday, the two leaders said their alliance is aimed at expediting the formation of a new government and called on others to join them.

I'd have thought the chubby little black-robed anger-bot would have been killed by now, or would be running things.

It would only be news if he wasn't allied with Iran.

• Like 1

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-Israel-behind-overnight-strike-on-pro-regime-fighters-in-Syria-560281

Iran's militias aren't even safe inside Iraq any longer.  Muck tada needs to get his game on or he might wind up as paste on the roadside someday.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:29 PM, and then said:

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-Israel-behind-overnight-strike-on-pro-regime-fighters-in-Syria-560281

Iran's militias aren't even safe inside Iraq any longer.  Muck tada needs to get his game on or he might wind up as paste on the roadside someday.

Killing citizens of another country in another country generally isn't viewed as a positive thing.  Especially if the people killed were invited there to kill ISIS.  It would make it seem like the before mentioned country supported terrorists like ISIS.

What's worse is that Israel didn't take credit and the people involved thought the US did it.  Basically a false flag attack that could have endangered the lives of the US troops there.

Edited by Gromdor

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Killing citizens of another country in another country generally isn't viewed as a positive thing.  Especially if the people killed were invited there to kill ISIS.  It would make it seem like the before mentioned country supported terrorists like ISIS.

What's worse is that Israel didn't take credit and the people involved thought the US did it.  Basically a false flag attack that could have endangered the lives of the US troops there.

Another nice little blanket statement of morality that totally excludes the reality of what those individuals were KNOWN to be doing.  Face it, the IDF takes down threats without regard to political horse crap.  That militia is Iranian funded and supplied and it was moving weapons toward Syria for future missions.  Those doing that work deserved to die.  And they got what was coming to them.

8 hours ago, and then said:

Another nice little blanket statement of morality that totally excludes the reality of what those individuals were KNOWN to be doing.  Face it, the IDF takes down threats without regard to political horse crap.  That militia is Iranian funded and supplied and it was moving weapons toward Syria for future missions.  Those doing that work deserved to die.  And they got what was coming to them.

Yeah, that whole morality thing is overrated.  And who really cares if their actions get a few Americans killed.  Right?  <sarcasm>

22 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah, that whole morality thing is overrated.  And who really cares if their actions get a few Americans killed.  Right?  <sarcasm>

Try not to be personally offensive, Grommy.  Try, anyway.  With your attitude about blame America first, it amazes me that you chose to serve at all.  Thanks for that, BTW.  Sincerely.  As I recall, nearly 3000 Americans got slaughtered a few years back by the mindset that we and Israel are still fighting in that region.  A soldier, of all people, should understand the dynamic between enemies and the fact that walking away from a fight does not mean the other side won't keep trying to kill you.  I'm curious about your assessment of the area and what it would look like if we just decamped and told Israel - "you're on your own".  

• Thanks 1

I recently heard through a blog I read that Iran and Syria are pushing an offensive toward the Golan and Deraa.  At this point the U.S. is trying to defuse it diplomatically but Israel, Jordan and the U.S. are all on the same page for how to handle it if the diplomacy fails.  The blogger often gets it right due to his contacts in the military but occasionally he's spectacularly wrong.  IF he's right on this one, we are about to become aware of some serious fireworks in the region.  Apparently, Suleimani can't learn lessons in the use of force very quickly.  He seems to be willing to fight to the last Shia militiaman from...(not Iran).

5 hours ago, and then said:

Try not to be personally offensive, Grommy.  Try, anyway.  With your attitude about blame America first, it amazes me that you chose to serve at all.  Thanks for that, BTW.  Sincerely.  As I recall, nearly 3000 Americans got slaughtered a few years back by the mindset that we and Israel are still fighting in that region.  A soldier, of all people, should understand the dynamic between enemies and the fact that walking away from a fight does not mean the other side won't keep trying to kill you.  I'm curious about your assessment of the area and what it would look like if we just decamped and told Israel - "you're on your own".  

Not seeing how cheering for Israel secretly bombing people in their home country and American troops getting the blame as being pro-America in any fashion.  I'd go far as to say that it is a rather treasonous thought pattern.

34 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Not seeing how cheering for Israel secretly bombing people in their home country and American troops getting the blame as being pro-America in any fashion.  I'd go far as to say that it is a rather treasonous thought pattern.

Perfect example of the Liberal mindset.  Militia who are funded by Iran, operating in Iraq, near the Syria border who are sworn enemies of the U.S. and Israel are just "people".  Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to someday run into and entertain some "people" like that.  

3 minutes ago, and then said:

Perfect example of the Liberal mindset.  Militia who are funded by Iran, operating in Iraq, near the Syria border who are sworn enemies of the U.S. and Israel are just "people".  Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to someday run into and entertain some "people" like that.  

There are about 100 Iranian students here in town: https://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/site/issa/information

For being sworn enemies of the US and Israel, they seem pretty mellow.  I don't mind entertaining them.

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

There are about 100 Iranian students here in town: https://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/site/issa/information

For being sworn enemies of the US and Israel, they seem pretty mellow.  I don't mind entertaining them.

How lovely for you.  What, exactly, does your example of Iranian youth on Visa in the U.S. have to do with our discussion of an Iranian militia that has vowed to kill Israelis and Americans?  They are called Kata'ib Hezbollah.  Well... except for the 52 that Israel encouraged to assume room temperature while they were embarked on an arms convoy mission.  Iran has a population of about 80 million, IIRC.  Is it your contention that they are a homogenous group?  No deviation in politics, religious outlook, etc?  

BTW, if you meet some of them the formal welcome is - khosh amadid  (Tell them Duncan says HI!)