Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climbers turn Mt Everest in to a rubbish dump

UM-Bot

As sad as this is I�m not really surprised, trash in our oceans, trash in our rivers, trash in space, and trashing of landmarks. I�m just grateful I was one of the last of the public to walk up the pyramids in Mexico before they where closed due to people trashing them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some of the human race are a disgrace. 

8 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

As sad as this is I�m not really surprised, trash in our oceans, trash in our rivers, trash in space, and trashing of landmarks. I�m just grateful I was one of the last of the public to walk up the pyramids in Mexico before they where closed due to people trashing them.

Well said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, many who climb Everest - and many other hills, big and small, these days are just rich* tourists with no regard for anyone but themselves, no sense of social responsibility and a "it's someone else's problem" attitude. 

We see it a lot in the Scottish hills - it's why, for example, camping has been banned on the shores of Loch Lomond.

* that doesn't mean they are millionaires, just, like most of us in the "west", have more money than they need

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Seti42 said:

People should just be banned from earth.

Or some placed underneath it...like 6ft underneath it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Or some placed underneath it...like 6ft underneath it.

That's a bit drastic!

Why not place bins at the summit? One for general waste, one for mixed recycling, one for paper/maps, and another for discarded fingers, toes, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, acute said:

That's a bit drastic!

Why not place bins at the summit? One for general waste, one for mixed recycling, one for paper/maps, and another for discarded fingers, toes, etc.

Thats ridiculous.....fingers and toes i agree with, but why would anyone one want to take a map? Its a big f..off mountain and you go up and then back down again ( minus a few digits - thats where the bins are a good idea ).

I think it would be a good idea to have 20 digit bins at different points.....and maybe a burger stand in the middle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Thats ridiculous.....fingers and toes i agree with, but why would anyone one want to take a map? Its a big f..off mountain and you go up and then back down again ( minus a few digits - thats where the bins are a good idea ).

I think it would be a good idea to have 20 digit bins at different points.....and maybe a burger stand in the middle.

Now, you're just being ridiculous!

How about bins attached to poles with closed basketball hoops on the top? Each climber will be given balls to put through the hoops, which will then be examined by Sherpas, to prove that the climbers have called at every point in the ascent, instead of being helicoptered to the summit for a quick selfie.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Now, you're just being ridiculous!

How about bins attached to poles with closed basketball hoops on the top? Each climber will be given balls to put through the hoops, which will then be examined by Sherpas, to prove that the climbers have called at every point in the ascent, instead of being helicoptered to the summit for a quick selfie.

You are not thinking this through, 

Those using the helicopter could just throw their rubbish out of the helicopter into the hoops and it is unlikely they will be losing any digits.

I think they should ban helicopters and put in 20 digit bins. 

Also balls = more rubbish if they miss the hoops. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't a $4000 refund be more of an incentive?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

^^ You are quite correct of course, f2r.

I hereby withdraw my foolish suggestion.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Humans are the plague. Not all, but unfortunately the vast vast majority. Eight Billion people creating massive amounts of landfill, turning the oceans into a toxic radioactive toilet. It is so profoundly disturbing that one has to ask themselves, Wouldn't the planet be better off without humans? I am hoping some benevolent super advanced alien race substantially culls the herd and reorganizes. Current Trajectory turning paradise into a toxic waste land(hell).

Edited by Nzo
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 6:43 PM, Essan said:

We see it a lot in the Scottish hills - it's why, for example, camping has been banned on the shores of Loch Lomond.

My brother and I stopped at Loch Lomond on our way to Ben Nevis.  Many years ago, when the great outdoors was still exciting.

It was a warm evening so we decided not to bother with a tent.  We threw down foam mats and sleeping bags and took a few beers to help us doze off.  

I woke to feel spots of rain on my face.  Still unwilling to erect the tent I rolled over, but soon felt the rain again on my sheltered skin.  After a while I realised the drops weren't rain - they were blood: each one a bite from a sodding microscopic midge.  Eventually I was driven into our Peugeot 205 and spent the rest of the sleepless night twisting in the confined space and scratching my bites.  Meanwhile my brother spelt peacefully, never bitten once.

I love Scotland, Scottish beef, Scotch whisky, Scottish traditions and the Scottish people.  But you'd be a lot more popular (and richer) if you made the effort and eradicated those vicious little beggars.  Just a thought - something to discuss down the pub as you dine on your deep-fried battered, breaded, battered fish and deep-fried twice-battered chips?  XxX

• Like 1

Bad enough people leave corpses up there, now they are leaving trash? 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, Essan said:

Sadly, many who climb Everest - and many other hills, big and small, these days are just rich* tourists with no regard for anyone but themselves, no sense of social responsibility and a "it's someone else's problem" attitude. 

* that doesn't mean they are millionaires, just, like most of us in the "west", have more money than they need

I find "poor" tourists to be worse about leaving trash where they have been.   Of course not in this case because it costs a pretty penny to climb Everest.

• Like 2

This has been a problem for as long as I can remember, at least as far back as the early 80's. I'm glad to see it cycle back through the news every few years as a reminder of what we're doing there and I'd love to see some kind of effort to clean it up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Don't forget the bodies...

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, freetoroam said:

I'd hate to be the guy who picks up the trash on that route or the cashier who has to walk to the burger stand! :lol:

2 hours ago, :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: said:

I'd hate to be the guy who picks up the trash on that route or the cashier who has to walk to the burger stand! :lol:

The burger stand will not be short of meat, a few hotdogs for sale too when the guy who picks up the digits has traded his wares with the burger owner. :ph34r: