Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Could coffee replace insulin injections?

4 posts in this topic

Still Waters

The days of the insulin pen may be numbered. According to researchers in Switzerland, the future of diabetes treatment will not be a shot in the arm after a meal, but a shot of espresso instead.

The scientists hope to transform the lives of diabetics who need regular jabs with an implant that contains hundreds of thousands of designer cells which churn out medicine when they sense caffeine in the bloodstream.

Tests on diabetic mice showed that such an implant inserted under the skin could be triggered by the caffeine in coffee, tea or energy drinks to produce a drug that controlled the animals’ blood sugar levels. To raise the dose, the scientists simply administered stronger coffee.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/19/could-coffee-replace-insulin-injections-for-diabetics

• Like 1

XenoFish
12 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

energy drinks to produce a drug that controlled the animals’ blood sugar levels. To raise the dose, the scientists simply administered stronger coffee.

Right here is not exactly a good idea. Those things are loaded with sugar. So you raise their insulin level in order to drop their insulin levels?!? Seems reasonable.

• Haha 1

and then
33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Right here is not exactly a good idea. Those things are loaded with sugar. So you raise their insulin level in order to drop their insulin levels?!? Seems reasonable.

If I consume too much caffeine, even sugar free, too quickly, I become hypoglycemic.  It's a VERY weird and uncomfortable situation.  I have to quickly get some carbs into my system.  I HATE that feeling...

ChaosRose

I thought people were gonna start injecting espresso.