Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery person's identity to be revealed

Skulduggery

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/crime/mystery-of-joseph-newton-chandler-iiis-true-identity-to-be-revealed/95-565963729" on this server.

Reference #18.d1d3dead.1529527066.5200b01

That's what your link shows for me. I must be blocked because I'm in Europe.

No worries I've found it from a different source link. For anyone else who can't see it it's this:

U.S. Marshal for Northern Ohio Peter J. Elliott once compared attempts to find the true identity of Joseph Newtown Chandler III to chasing a ghost.

On June 21 at 1 p.m., Elliott along with Eastlake Police Chief Larry Reik among others will announce the solving of one of Northeast Ohio’s “biggest and most complex mysteries.”

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20180620/who-was-joseph-newton-chandler-iii-authorities-will-reveal-the-true-identity-of-the-eastlake-man

• Like 1

Hmmm. Weird. On the road right now but will investigate what's wrong soon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skulduggery said:

Thank you, I have it now. We were both posting at the same time :) 

• Like 1

I remember this case, albeit probably from seeing it on old YouTube list videos from way back. I accidentally stumbled on this earlier while looking up a completely unrelated news story. Consider me interested. Although, I'm sure it's nothing as sensational as him being an infamous serial killer or D.B. Cooper. Still, though, pretty neat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skulduggery said:

Welp. He was a World War II veteran who had gone missing.

https://patch.com/ohio/cleveland/who-was-man-claiming-be-joseph-newton-chandler-iii

I can't view that link either but I've found one I can.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20180621/joseph-newton-chandler-iiis-true-identity-is-robert-ivan-nichols-but-authorities-still-dont-know-why

The “who” has been solved, but the “why” remains unclear. The U.S. Marshals Service is now seeking the public help to answer that question.

• Haha 1

Wow. Way too many websites are restricted in places!

• Like 1

The guy who went to a store in another state then turned around when he couldn't find a parking space. I remember watching or reading something about that recently.

This is weird stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not fully understanding this.

A man assumes the identity of someone deceased to erase his own public identity. Ok, that I get.

He did that to "hide something" from the public and authorities about his past. Ok, I get that.

What I don't get is why the elevated interest. Sure, he could have murdered someone or did some other felony that led him to change identities... but, this has happened a lot over the years with many other people for many reasons.

So why is this "special"?

Zodiac?

Ok, but I don't see a strong enough connection.

Why is this "special ?" I guess is my question.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 4:59 AM, pallidin said:

I'm not fully understanding this.

A man assumes the identity of someone deceased to erase his own public identity. Ok, that I get.

He did that to "hide something" from the public and authorities about his past. Ok, I get that.

What I don't get is why the elevated interest. Sure, he could have murdered someone or did some other felony that led him to change identities... but, this has happened a lot over the years with many other people for many reasons.

So why is this "special"?

Zodiac?

Ok, but I don't see a strong enough connection.

Why is this "special ?" I guess is my question.

It has gotten a mention in various places in the past. Yeah, definitely not the Zodiac. It was just a curiosity and it at some point had been mentioned and then it snowballed, although it never achieved a lot of attention. Still, some attention in places. Also, glad someone figured it out. It still raises a few questions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skulduggery said:

It has gotten a mention in various places in the past. Yeah, definitely not the Zodiac. It was just a curiosity and it at some point had been mentioned and then it snowballed, although it never achieved a lot of attention. Still, some attention in places. Also, glad someone figured it out. It still raises a few questions.

You're very good with intelligent response.

Thank you.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1