Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alaskan bear kills hiker, mauls searcher

The Caspian Hare

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2018/06/20/anchorage-police-responding-to-bear-mauling-in-eagle-river/

What Anchorage police described as an aggressive brown bear believed to have killed an Eagle River man and suspected of badly injuring another man had not been found as of Wednesday afternoon.

Biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game searched for the animal earlier on Wednesday. As of 4 p.m., no one was in the field but biologists were putting together a plan for what to do next, said department spokesman Ken Marsh.

The body of Mike Soltis, an Eagle River man missing since Monday, was discovered in a brushy area close to the end of Hiland Road in Eagle River late Wednesday morning.

A member of the search party looking for him was mauled by a brown bear close to where the man's body was discovered. The searcher, who was hospitalized with what police described as serious injuries to his leg, wasn't immediately identified.

"It appears the brown bear was protecting the body (of Soltis) when it attacked a member of the search party," police wrote.

• Sad 1

That's why when my brother is playing up there he carries a Browning 30-06........

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

That's why when my brother is playing up there he carries a Browning 30-06........

From what little I understand of the state, it's the most dangerous place in the country for hikers and tourists.  There seem to be a variety of types of bears that you want to stay clear of or pay the price.  I vaguely remember a funny T-Shirt that explained the types of bears in Alaska and how to deal with them.  The part I remember about the browns was that climbing a tree did you no good 'cause they could just knock the tree DOWN...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, and then said:

From what little I understand of the state, it's the most dangerous place in the country for hikers and tourists.  There seem to be a variety of types of bears that you want to stay clear of or pay the price.  I vaguely remember a funny T-Shirt that explained the types of bears in Alaska and how to deal with them.  The part I remember about the browns was that climbing a tree did you no good 'cause they could just knock the tree DOWN...

When I'm working where black bears are near my crossbow is always within reach, but I think it would just get a brown bear madder. :tu:

4 hours ago, Piney said:

When I'm working where black bears are near my crossbow is always within reach, but I think it would just get a brown bear madder. :tu:

Their are the hunted and the hunter. A bear will get you better than a cross bow get it. I have one of these and when a bear charges you have seconds to respond. No time to shoot it. Unless you are tracking it and ready. One could kill a bear with a broad head arrow. However you have to ready for it. My crossbow.

Edited by The Silver Thong
missed a word
  • Like 2

@The Silver Thong  I'm a  old school low-tech 'widowmaker" remover. I always have to be aware of my surroundings. I also actively avoid where bears feed and use Fred Bear chisel points ( bone cutters) but if I can avoid shooting anything and actively avoid bears. I do.

Hi ya Piney. The funny thing is when I bought it I could hardly pull it back. Almost tore my fingers off. I had to buy the pull traps, night and day difference. 

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

@The Silver Thong  I'm a  old school low-tech 'widowmaker" remover. I always have to be aware of my surroundings. I also actively avoid where bears feed and use Fred Bear chisel points ( bone cutters) but if I can avoid shooting anything and actively avoid bears. I do.

I don't shot anything but targets and once a tree, lost an arrow on my first shot hitting a tree. I couldn't get it out lol 

• Haha 1

Oh I meant pull straps not traps in my last post. I need a new key board.

I think my bow is more powerful than my 9 mm