Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA reveals its new asteroid protection plan

UM-Bot

It wouldn't surprise me if at least a few governments (including the US) were thinking about how to weaponize "space rocks".

Edited by Seti42

22 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if at least a few governments (including the US) were thinking about how to weaponize "space rocks".

It would surprise me because it would have no military value at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Needs to be done, but will congress fund it, along with his Space Force.   (Imperial March from Star Wars plays in the background. )

31 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It would surprise me because it would have no military value at all.

Ummm.... the potential to control orbital kinetic weapons (rocks) would have no military value ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

A spacecraft that could land on or catch and redirect a small asteroid (like the one that blew up over Russia a few years ago) to strike a target area would be an insanely valuable weapon. No nuclear fallout, plausible deniability, nearly instant, indefensible, and extreme localized devastation. Assuming the project could work, and was kept top secret, of course. I think it could be possible. Not now, sure...But 50-100 years from now?

Also, kinetic space weapons are already a military idea...The main problem, as I see it, is getting heavy tungsten rods (or something similar) up there. That's cost prohibitive at the least, and maybe impossible with current launch technology.

• Like 1

They forgot to post #6.

6.) In the event that we detect a large rock that is on a collision course to earth, we ask that everyone take a seat in their most comfortable of chairs, place their heads between their legs snugly and securely. Then proceed to kiss your ass goodbye. Because we have no method of actually overcoming this challenge at the current moment. Maybe in 20 years, Fingers crossed that we will be ok for the next 20 years ;)

NASA working together with a "Space Force" would increase their chances of deflecting, detecting and/or destroying an asteroid, no? As a branch of the military(?) I would think a Space Force would be granted more funding and access in general. If their aim is to dominate near Earth space, it's only a small hop to using that hardware for asteroid defence.

When times up its up, simple.

On 21/06/2018 at 9:18 PM, Seti42 said:

A spacecraft that could land on or catch and redirect a small asteroid (like the one that blew up over Russia a few years ago) to strike a target area would be an insanely valuable weapon. No nuclear fallout, plausible deniability, nearly instant, indefensible, and extreme localized devastation. Assuming the project could work, and was kept top secret, of course. I think it could be possible. Not now, sure...But 50-100 years from now?

Also, kinetic space weapons are already a military idea...The main problem, as I see it, is getting heavy tungsten rods (or something similar) up there. That's cost prohibitive at the least, and maybe impossible with current launch technology.

The only word that makes any sense in your post is "insanely".

These asteroids fly past the Earth at random times. That makes them totally useless as weapons.

President of the USA: launch an attack on Russia using one of our weaponised asteroids.

Space Force Commander: Straight away Mr. President. Moscow will be reduced to dust... in 3 years time!!!

Not exactly a sane scenario for a nuclear power.

Happy to see this getting attention and (hopefully) more funding. 

On 6/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, Grandpa Greenman said:

Needs to be done, but will congress fund it, along with his Space Force.   (Imperial March from Star Wars plays in the background. )

Maybe if we start calling them undocumented orbital entities. "They aren't sending their best rocks into our atmosphere folks..." 

Edited by Calibeliever
typo
  • Haha 1