Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gnosis

Occult1

13 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Well, the old "pointing out that dressing up in a culture or belief is not the same thing as being a member of that culture or belief" argument, or maybe "the past is the past and is different from the present" argument, and I wouldn't push either one too far, but I think they're important to keep in mind, especially in an era almost perfectly happy to appropriate whatever it wants, without considering the consequences.

--Jaylemurph

Who's dressing up, though?

What they're doing is reading gnostic scripture and what we know, historically about gnostics, which is rather a lot compared to what we know about Druids.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:36 AM, Pagels Price 1 said:

It is definitely NOT the goal of my life. In fact, my faith is the complete opposite of "divine self." There is nothing divine about myself, or my "Self." Without my Savior, my destination is the "outer darkness," and "outer darkness" is death to "awareness." " Or, this "awareness" will not last very long in the "outer darkness" alone, by itself.

Do you think that some of the paranormal experiences people have could be about connecting to this outer darkness?

18 hours ago, Gnostikoi said:

If the world we are forced to accept is false and nothing is true, then everything is possible.

But it will be dangerous path of self-knowledge and reality deconstruction as we rage against heaven and storm the gates of hell, for our misplaced childhoods and paradises lost.

As the Nag Hammadi Library's Dialogue of the Savior states:

''If you do not stand in the darkness, you can't see the light''.

And like Franz Kafka, a very gnostic-minded wrote in Parables in Paradoxes:

''When one has once accepted an absurd evil, it no longer demands to be believed.''

When you stand in the darkness, you can see the archons.

It may be that they are a part of us, but I think we are also part of the light. 

Or at least, we could be. 

18 hours ago, Gnostikoi said:

If the world we are forced to accept is false and nothing is true, then everything is possible.

But it will be dangerous path of self-knowledge and reality deconstruction as we rage against heaven and storm the gates of hell, for our misplaced childhoods and paradises lost.

As the Nag Hammadi Library's Dialogue of the Savior states:

''If you do not stand in the darkness, you can't see the light''.

And like Franz Kafka, a very gnostic-minded wrote in Parables in Paradoxes:

''When one has once accepted an absurd evil, it no longer demands to be believed.''

Incidentally, everywhere around me I see people using 'nothing is true, everything is permissible.'

Goodness does not seem to be coming from it. 

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Do you think that some of the paranormal experiences people have could be about connecting to this outer darkness?

I don't think so. For one thing, I didn't have a "map" for me to be able to come back to our material world. Once in the "outer darkness," there is no escape, unless you have some powerful being to rescue you. Ancient scriptures mention demons and archons, but they are also created creatures, just like human beings, and they are not in the "outer darkness," nor have the knowledge to enter and escape the "outer darkness."

On the other hand, the Bible (the "Judaized" side of Christianity) tells a story of a medium (1 Samuel 28).

9 minutes ago, Pagels Price 1 said:

I don't think so. For one thing, I didn't have a "map" for me to be able to come back to our material world. Once in the "outer darkness," there is no escape, unless you have some powerful being to rescue you. Ancient scriptures mention demons and archons, but they are also created creatures, just like human beings, and they are not in the "outer darkness," nor have the knowledge to enter and escape the "outer darkness."

On the other hand, the Bible (the "Judaized" side of Christianity) tells a story of a medium (1 Samuel 28).

Do you think that the paranormal experiences are just archons messing with people?

10 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Who's dressing up, though?

What they're doing is reading gnostic scripture and what we know, historically about gnostics, which is rather a lot compared to what we know about Druids.

Considering the /only/ first-hand account of actual Druids is Julius Caesar's, we don't know that much about them. And I don't mean literally dressing up, I just mean "anyone who wants to say they're a 'Gnostic.' " Again, the cultural-historical context that created them in is gone, so (at least for me, as an historian) no one in their right mind can say they're real Gnostics, just big fans.

Personally, I'm 100% a materialist. I don't care what sort of spiritual hijinks people take up -- it's all just about equally wrong, in my opinion -- but I don't think people should play dress-up without being aware of the culture baggage those cultures and beliefs have with them. Very few, if any, of the "Gnostics" I've encountered do that, and that's not to say all people interested in Gnosticism are like that.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, Gnostikoi said:

It's a fact that most people, including materialists, physicalists ect. are sleepwalking through existence.

A fact, huh?

Well then you'll have no problem citing your sources for this arrogant statement.

51 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Do you think that the paranormal experiences are just archons messing with people?

Either that, or some gifted medium channeling in "spirits," depending on one's belief system. The former makes sense to me.

33 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Considering the /only/ first-hand account of actual Druids is Julius Caesar's, we don't know that much about them. And I don't mean literally dressing up, I just mean "anyone who wants to say they're a 'Gnostic.' " Again, the cultural-historical context that created them in is gone, so (at least for me, as an historian) no one in their right mind can say they're real Gnostics, just big fans.

Personally, I'm 100% a materialist. I don't care what sort of spiritual hijinks people take up -- it's all just about equally wrong, in my opinion -- but I don't think people should play dress-up without being aware of the culture baggage those cultures and beliefs have with them. Very few, if any, of the "Gnostics" I've encountered do that, and that's not to say all people interested in Gnosticism are like that.

--Jaylemurph

That was my point that we know next to nothing about Druids, but we have actual gnostic scripture.