Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Curious scientists solve dripping tap mystery

5 posts in this topic

Still Waters

It is a puzzle that has taken more than 100 years of research to solve and its source has kept thousands of people awake at night… what causes the "plink plink plink" noise of a dripping tap?

Now, curious scientists have identified what causes the noise and how to solve it.

https://news.sky.com/story/scientists-discover-what-causes-the-plink-plink-plink-of-a-dripping-tap-11413756

• Like 2

UFOwatcher

The key phrase is "scientists believe"...

• Like 1

spud the mackem

Are these so called "scientists" actually getting paid to discover this Huge mystery, I can stop a tap dripping easily by changing the washer inside the tap ,less than 10 minutes work.and I would happily show them how to do it..

• Like 1

paperdyer
3 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Are these so called "scientists" actually getting paid to discover this Huge mystery, I can stop a tap dripping easily by changing the washer inside the tap ,less than 10 minutes work.and I would happily show them how to do it..

I haven't checked lately, but grant money used to be available for the most inane and insane projects/reasons.  I don't remember where I saw the list, but I'm sure Google will know.

• Like 1

Ozymandias
Posted (edited)
On 25/06/2018 at 6:47 PM, spud the mackem said:

Take the time to read things carefully. The scientists - they are scientists, not 'scientists' - were not investigating why a tap leaked but rather how a tiny drop of water falling from a leaking tap actually makes that annoying 'plink' sound.

Have you got issues with 'scientists'? And what exactly are 'scientists'?

Edited by Ozymandias