Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sparrows sing same song for over 1000 years

Still Waters

Every summer, the melodic whistles of thousands of American swamp sparrows echo across North America’s wetlands. These little brown birds may know just a few songs, but they know them well. In fact, they haven’t changed their set list in more than 1,000 years, according to a new study.

Scientists have discovered evidence that the American swamp sparrow, Melospiza georgiana,has likely been singing the same songs for a millennium. The young sparrows mimic the songs sung by their elders so accurately that their musical repertoire has remained relatively unchanged for all that time. Now, scientists suggest that these sparrows preserve their cultural traditions as efficiently as humans do, if not more so.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/06/swamp-sparrow-bird-sings-same-song-animals/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180620094815.htm

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Sparrows sing same song for over 1000 years

??

ok well I used to breed canaries, it was a hobby I enjoyed and those also pass down their songs but they can adopt a stray note or tone they take a shine to from other birds. I had to keep my young males isolated somewhat with a adult who sang the way I wanted them to learn when they weaned, until they settled into their songs.. 

so, I just wonder how they can be so sure the sound is exactly the same as it was 1000 years ago. I can accept very like, but exactly seems to take a bit of faith.

JMO.