Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Measuring in Ancient Egypt

Ahatmose

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I assume climbing atop of a tomb for a God King would be seen as a great insult, thus resulting in the attempted climbers death and the fact that, as you stated, they were smooth and climbing was next to near impossible I thought my humour would have been obvious.

You're right. In Dynasty 4, after the three pyramids were made, they were considered sacred ground. There is a feature to the south today called the Wall of the Crow that delineated the stopping point for regular people. They could not pass. Additionally, each pyramid was set inside an enclosure wall, and only certain people of the priestly class and state were allowed to enter beyond there. The ancient Egyptians were big on sacred space.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

Just curious how did the builders get down after placing the capstone on top ?

I'd put the capstone on first and then work downwards myself.

• Like 3

Just now, Likely Guy said:

I'd put the capstone on first and then work downwards myself.

That might be it. The fact is, we don't know for sure.

I'd say they might've slid down on camel skins like a fun ride, but camels weren't domesticated yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'd say they might've slid down on camel skins like a fun ride, but camels weren't domesticated yet.

Just curious that since you don't know how they got down how do you know you could not get up ?

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

You do realize such a trip might end up in terminal velocity. A very deep pile of rugs would be needed to save the slider from death.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

You do realize such a trip might end up in terminal velocity. A very deep pile of rugs would be needed to save the slider from death.

Imagine how fast it would have been when it rained.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I've been to Egypt and know from first hand knowledge that the area to the south of the Giza complex is hily and the Saqqara complex cannot be seen from ground level. You can pretend all you want from your parent's basement, but apparently you are clueless.

Have you looked from the top of The Great Pyramid ?

2 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

Just curious that since you don't know how they got down how do you know you could not get up ?

It's obvious, like I said. With the cladding in place, there was nothing to grab. But even suggesting it reveals your lack of historical understanding. The pyramid was a royal tomb, the king's house of a million years. You wouldn't be allowed to touch it.

1. Your knowledge is based on zilch. As kmt_sesh has posted you have no understanding at all of the surveying methods used.
  2. I already posted the link. Your choice to avoid reading pertinent material is simply you being a failure
  3. The movement of the Nile to the East has increased the visibility of the pyramids from the farmlands, but only by a short distance.
  4. Providing photographs showing that the pyramids are only visible from nearby sites along the Nile undermines the claims of the pyramids as surveying points
  5. Anachronistic mathematics is another downfall to this concept, i.e. the use of algebra in geometry
  6. Misrepresenting the contents of other posters is a failure

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Just seems to me to be far more logical.

I'd be safe. I'm a Bactrian camel which are much more regal.

Just now, Likely Guy said:

I'd be safe. I'm a Bactrian camel which are much more regal.

And smelly. :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Imagine how fast it would have been when it rained.

...and thus, the world's first water slide was created.

• Haha 1

The simple fact of the matter is that any work requiring someone to climb a smooth sided pyramid is rather a poor way to use workers. Suggesting that is rather ridiculous considering that the manner in which surveyors worked is well known.

https://www.pointtopointsurvey.com/2009/10/land-surveying-in-ancient-times-egypt-greece-and-rome/

http://www.surveyhistory.org/egyptian_surveying_tools1.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

Just curious how did the builders get down after placing the capstone on top ?

Let's look at this logically shall we.

One might assume they built the pyramid stepped like they are now, walked up them steps, placed the cap stone. Had buckets of Limestone plaster handed up, then worked their way down plastering. Obviously the cap stone wasn't the last thing done. Logically it could not have been. Or maybe they had scaffolding of some sort. I don't know.

Or has Herodotus said.

“At first, it was built with steps, like a staircase….The stones intended for use in constructing the pyramids were lifted by means of a short wooden scaffold. In this way they were raised from the earth to the first step of the staircase; there they were laid on another scaffold, by means of which they were raised to the second step. Lifting devices were provided for each step, in case these devices were not light enough to be easily moved upward from step to step once the stone had been removed from them. I have been told that both methods were used, and so I mention them both here. The finishing-off was begun at the top, and continued downward to the lowest level.”

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

...and thus, the world's first water slide was created.

No wonder it's called Giza.

Giiiiizzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa was all that was heard on rainy days.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

The simple fact of the matter is that any work requiring someone to climb a smooth sided pyramid is rather a poor way to use workers. Suggesting that is rather ridiculous considering that the manner in which surveyors worked is well known.

https://www.pointtopointsurvey.com/2009/10/land-surveying-in-ancient-times-egypt-greece-and-rome/

http://www.surveyhistory.org/egyptian_surveying_tools1.htm

And just how do you know it was completely smooth ? If is was how did the workers who placed the last stone get down. But this is beyond silly and once again we are dealing with The Magic Bullet and Cherry Picking.and as always you are to blame. 

Cherry Picking - If you can't debate your opponents on the substance of the issue, crush them on the minor details.

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

No wonder it's called Giza.

Giiiiizzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa was all that was heard on rainy days.

What a coincidence. "Giza" was the ancient Egyptian word for "Weeeeeee!"

• Haha 1

I have been told that on the last day of Ramadan that the police allow anyone to climb to the top of the pyramids at Giza. Don't know if that is true or not.

1 minute ago, Ahatmose said:

And just how do you know it was completely smooth ? If is was how did the workers who placed the last stone get down. But this is beyond silly and once again we are dealing with The Magic Bullet and Cherry Picking.and as always you are to blame. 

Cherry Picking - If you can't debate your opponents on the substance of the issue, crush them on the minor details.

Is this another argument from your personal ignorance? Yes it is.

5 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

The last stones for the encasement were placed when the workers feet were on Terra Firma.

You're not really paying attention to the conversation.

Edited by Likely Guy

3 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

You're really not that familiar with the pyramids, are you? G1 still has nice sections of the original cladding at the bottom. G2 has some left at the very top. G3 has some at the bottom, as does Djedefre's pyramid. All of that cladding is very smooth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What we do know is that the Nile is like most rivers. It is entrenched. The temples ad pyramids along the river are not in sight of each other. The plateau where Giza is located is not a peneplain. It is a run of rolling hills that do not allow distant places to be seen such as Saqqara. The river itself meanders as do all rivers. Locations along the river cannot be seen from any great distance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

You're really not that familiar with the pyramids, are you? G1 still has nice sections of the original cladding at the bottom. G2 has some left at the very top. G3 has some at the bottom, as does Djedefre's pyramid. All of that cladding is very smooth.

None of that really matters to those uninterested in understanding ancient Egypt.

11 minutes ago, Ahatmose said:

Do honestly believe they cladded as they built? If so why?

Also do you believe they cladded from bottom to top? If so why.

My dad was a contractor for nearly 50 years and I know what would have happened if someone started to apply plaster at the bottom and work their way up. They would have gotten a boot in the hole.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

Just now, stereologist said:

None of that really matters to those uninterested in understanding ancient Egypt.

Oh, I know. This whole thread (as with the last one) is all about exceedingly robust confirmation bias.

• The topic was locked