Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you believe in astrology?

Deborah72

Being a Taurus myself I find my sign to be very accurate.  I am as stubborn as they come.  

Strengths: Reliable, patient, practical, devoted, responsible, stable

Weaknesses: Stubborn, possessive, uncompromising

Taurus likes: Gardening, cooking, music, romance, high quality clothes, working with hands

Taurus dislikes: Sudden changes, complications, insecurity of any kind, synthetic fabrics

Edited by Deborah72
  • Like 4

I'm an Aquarius sun/moon (conjunction) baby who grew up with a Taurus Mom and brother, and Sagittarius Dad and half-sister (his daughter), although I have an Aquarius maternal grandfather who is of Cherokee/Osage Indian descent from Oklahoma. I relate great with my Cancer soulmate (her birthday is next weekend-July 1), in part I have a Cancer ascendant and she has an Aquarius moon. And my opinion on astrology is there's something for me to believe in it within the rational limits of what's scientific and superstitious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't believe in astrology though, leads to self-fulfilling actions. However for sheer entertainment value, meh.

https://cafeastrology.com/articles/sagittariusmanlove.html

I'll let the UM jury decided if any of this is true. As I am a sagittarius.

He is a clear, logical thinker, with a big picture approach to any situation. He is also an enthusiastic listener, who will absorb what you have to say, before processing the information and coming to his own conclusions and decisions. However, he does this so quickly that he can miss important details.

This seems fitting for your sign?

• Like 1

No I don't believe in Astrology due to several factors:

1)Most of the character traits listed under any one sign are so general that pretty much every person with that sign will find something they feel describes their personality. Particularly some variation of stubborn/head strong/strong willed seems to show up listed under a lot of star signs, since people like to think of themselves as headstrong.
2)Due to it's popularity in Western Culture people will almost be conditioned to exhibit traits matching their star sign "He's so boastful! Well he can't help it, typical Leo!"
3)Those constellations don't actually exist, it's something the Ancients made up to help with navigation and due to romanticism. 
4)So what if we colonize other planets? Do we keep the same star signs, or do we get new ones? What if I move to, let's say, the Trappist system, will that magically alter my personality, because there's other constellations?
5)I've read somewhere that since those constellations were made up, their positions have shifted ever so slightly and they'd actually correspond to different times of the year now...and there's a 13th one by now, the Snake-Bearer.
6)In the end it has no more basis in fact than the stereotypes the Japanese have about Blood Types. Thankfully I've never heard of somebody being rejected from a job because they were a Pisces/Virgo/Aries/Whatever.

• Like 4

No, it's pseudoscience. Why would stars have any effect on your personality?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Deborah72 said:

This seems fitting for your sign?

Maybe, maybe not. I see astrology the same way I see personality test. They might hit a few marks, but mostly they're never quite right. I used to read them for fun and entertainment years ago. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

No I don't believe in Astrology due to several factors:

1)Most of the character traits listed under any one sign are so general that pretty much every person with that sign will find something they feel describes their personality. Particularly some variation of stubborn/head strong/strong willed seems to show up listed under a lot of star signs, since people like to think of themselves as headstrong.
2)Due to it's popularity in Western Culture people will almost be conditioned to exhibit traits matching their star sign "He's so boastful! Well he can't help it, typical Leo!"
3)Those constellations don't actually exist, it's something the Ancients made up to help with navigation and due to romanticism. 
4)So what if we colonize other planets? Do we keep the same star signs, or do we get new ones? What if I move to, let's say, the Trappist system, will that magically alter my personality, because there's other constellations?
5)I've read somewhere that since those constellations were made up, their positions have shifted ever so slightly and they'd actually correspond to different times of the year now...and there's a 13th one by now, the Snake-Bearer.
6)In the end it has no more basis in fact than the stereotypes the Japanese have about Blood Types. Thankfully I've never heard of somebody being rejected from a job because they were a Pisces/Virgo/Aries/Whatever.

1) Character traits will sound pretty much same if we're going to claim that there are 12 character types and everyone fits neatly into one slot,

It's rare to have a Piscean be truly a Pisces type. Think of the sun sign as the conductor of the orchestra ... with the Moon = emotions/moods, Mercury = intellect/communication ability. Venus= ability to express love/relationships. Mars= libido/driving force/self-motivation/temper. Jupiter = ability to adapt/philosophise/resilience/risk-taking/optimist. Saturn = self-discipline/worrier/strictness/self-denial/high self-motivation or ambition. Ascendant = how the Sun channels/expresses it's qualities into the world. Many people can appear to 'behave' in a  fashion more suited to their Asc sign. Midheaven = direction in Life/career/vocation or general path.

3 & 5) The constellations were not made up. Call them 'star groups' if you prefer.  Astrologers tend, by and large, to have adopted the Tropical zodiac which follows the path of the Sun and the seasons ... the other, sidereal astrology uses the position of the stars (constellations) as seen from Earth. as it's yardstick.

4) An intriguing thought .... what would happen if someone were born on Mars?

Astrology is geocentric based, not heliocentric. That's to say a horoscope chart shows the view of the planets as they would look from Earth against the background of the zodiac, hence there is no Earth on a horoscope. You're already standing on it.

So if born on Mars it would follow that there'd be no Mars drawn on  a horoscope but Earth would appear in one of the signs instead ..like Earth in Taurus, or Earth in Cancer.

Edited by sags

42 minutes ago, sags said:

3 & 5) The constellations were not made up. Call them 'star groups' if you prefer.  Astrologers tend, by and large, to have adopted the Tropical zodiac which follows the path of the Sun and the seasons ... the other, sidereal astrology uses the position of the stars (constellations) as seen from Earth. as it's yardstick.

Of course they are made up, people saw them as making an image in the sky. They're not star groups since they only appear near each other from the perspective of those on earth. 

Okay ... you phrased that better than I did.

In the interests of mapping out portions of the sky, as seen from Earth, to allocate sections of space ..... people saw images and gave them names for ease of reference.

I'm not out to try to convince anyone Astrology is a science or a credible form of divination so I'm happy to go with the flow.

Edited by sags

51 minutes ago, sags said:

Yeah I know how they come about, doesn't change the fact that they're made up pictures consisting of lines drawn between stars in accordance of how they appear from Earth (hence why it's geocentric, rather than heliocentric) regardless of said stars often being millions of light years apart from one another in reality with no correlation to one another, despite what it looks like from earth.. So yes, to me that means they are made up. Nobody arranged Orion in that shape, it's components are there to to other factors and the human mind dreamed up the shape.

54 minutes ago, sags said:

4) An intriguing thought .... what would happen if someone were born on Mars?

Astrology is geocentric based, not heliocentric. That's to say a horoscope chart shows the view of the planets as they would look from Earth against the background of the zodiac, hence there is no Earth on a horoscope. You're already standing on it.

So if born on Mars it would follow that there'd be no Mars drawn on  a horoscope but Earth would appear in one of the signs instead ..like Earth in Taurus, or Earth in Cancer.

Yeah, that's the interesting question, isn't it? Would be interesting to look into the future and, if humanity managed to colonize planets, and assuming this superstition survived as well, whether the people on other planets have adapted it to their "map of the heavens" What signs might they draw up? How many? It would be curious to see.

As a true Aries I would have to say that I don't believe in astrology. On the other hand I do believe in astronomy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deborah72 said:

Being a Taurus myself I find my sign to be very accurate.  I am as stubborn as they come.  

Strengths: Reliable, patient, practical, devoted, responsible, stable

Weaknesses: Stubborn, possessive, uncompromising

Taurus likes: Gardening, cooking, music, romance, high quality clothes, working with hands

Taurus dislikes: Sudden changes, complications, insecurity of any kind, synthetic fabrics

Hmmm, I am a Taurus also, the issue with generalized characteristics is they can fit anyone. Who couldn't be responsible or stable? Who doesn't like music of some kind?

I am incredibly patient on some things, but I am can be incredibly impatient too. 

There is no way in hell I would be gardening, and cooking isn't on top of my list of likes. I will and do cook, but I prefer fine dining.

I need constant change, new adventures, I think insecurities are normal and to be expected under certain circumstances. 

New jobs, new relationships, being a mom for the first time, taking a test that is important, interviewing etc. The difference is the more you have situations that create insecurities, is the quicker you move through them, not that you never feel insecure. I think insecurities are part of being human, it's only if they cripple you or stand in your way would they be concerning. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe, maybe not. I see astrology the same way I see personality test. They might hit a few marks, but mostly they're never quite right. I used to read them for fun and entertainment years ago. 

Of course at times you are logical and open to the big picture this can apply to anyone. 

I have a small belief in astrology, zodiac sign readings, and numbers. It also gives me fun ways to calculate my birth life path through the online calculator https://www.numerologycentral.com/ there's nothing to lose when trying or knowing what could be my future that might end in following or changing that path.

Astrology is one of the more benign pseudo sciences, so as long as you don't take it too seriously it's not too bad. Still why would you want to take decisions based on a faulty premise ?

17 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Astrology is one of the more benign pseudo sciences, so as long as you don't take it too seriously it's not too bad. Still why would you want to take decisions based on a faulty premise ?

It's just fun.  I don't base decisions on my sign.

• Like 1

So is a star sign based on the date you were born, or which constellation the Sun was in when you were born ..... ;) .  

If I were born on the 1st March (I wasn't) does it make me a Piscean because the Sun was in the constellation of Aquarius?  :huh:

Do you believe in astrology?

Not at all.   Just silly little entertainment similar to fortune cookies. 

• Like 1

I do not believe in astrology. Even IF the stars influenced behaviour, when the rules were created, the stars were in different positions. It's just nonsensical.

Kinda fun though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm a Capricorn woman (can be cold hearted, calculating, cruel, caring, stubborn AF, earthly and so forth....),

My immediate family are mainly earth type signs:

• Dad (Taurus, 48) 
  • Mum (Pisces, 40)
  • Me (Capricorn)
  • Eldest sister (Aries, 17)
  • Youngest sister (Virgo, 15)
  • Eldest brother (Aries, 12, Autism)
  • Youngest brother (Gemini, 10)
  • Family Dog (Cancer, 3yr)
  • Family Cat (Pisces, 4yr)

At times we the earth signs within the family do butt heads and heated arguments do occur. 

9 hours ago, Browng0at said:

Yes, I'm a Capricorn woman (can be cold hearted, calculating, cruel, caring, stubborn AF, earthly and so forth....),

My immediate family are mainly earth type signs:

• Dad (Taurus, 48) 
  • Mum (Pisces, 40)
  • Me (Capricorn)
  • Eldest sister (Aries, 17)
  • Youngest sister (Virgo, 15)
  • Eldest brother (Aries, 12, Autism)
  • Youngest brother (Gemini, 10)
  • Family Dog (Cancer, 3yr)
  • Family Cat (Pisces, 4yr)

At times we the earth signs within the family do butt heads and heated arguments do occur. 

So the position of the stars are responsible for the interaction of your family ? 

The closest star in Capricorn is 39 light years away, or 307.500.000.000.000 kilometers away. Yeah that clearly affects your personallity...........

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So the position of the stars are responsible for the interaction of your family ? 

The closest star in Capricorn is 39 light years away, or 307.500.000.000.000 kilometers away. Yeah that clearly affects your personallity...........

Theres planet placements as well. Thank u 4 sharing ur opinion. Have a nice day :sleepy:

10 minutes ago, Browng0at said:

Theres planet placements as well. Thank u 4 sharing ur opinion. Have a nice day :sleepy:

Thank you for completely avoiding to adress the issue I brought up. Have a nice day.