Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Erdogan wins election in Turkey

The Caspian Hare

https://gulfnews.com/news/mena/turkey/turkey-s-erdogan-wins-sweeping-new-powers-after-election-victory-1.2241902

Istanbul: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan won sweeping new executive powers on Monday after his victory in landmark elections that also saw his Islamist-rooted AK Party and its nationalist allies secure a majority in parliament.

Erdogan’s main rival, Muharrem Ince of the Republican People’s Party (CHP), conceded defeat but branded the elections “unjust” and said the presidential system that now takes effect was “very dangerous” because it would lead to one-man rule.

Erdogan, 64, the most popular - yet divisive - leader in modern Turkish history, told jubilant, flag-waving supporters there would be no retreat from his drive to transform Turkey, a NATO member and, at least nominally, a candidate to join the European Union.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Mustafa Kemal  Attaturk would have Erdogan's head on a lance. That power hungry wannabe sikkos'ahk  can't even ride a horse.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The only thing that shocks me about him at this point is why he still attempts to clothe himself in democratic trappings.  Any real opposition has been crushed by now.  Maybe he has a five-year-plan for taking the throne of the new Ottoman Empire.  I just hope our government isn't insanely PC enough to simply hand over 100 F-35's to him.  If he prepaid, it's time for a refund - or sanctions.  I'd say that a public announcement to buy the S-400 should be a clue that the Turkish membership in an anti-Soviet/Russian alliance has become a bit sketchy.  He needs to decide...in or out.

• Thanks 1

He's a popular law-and-order candidate who gives lip-service to Islamic conservatism and Sharia Law. Never-the-less, his days are numbered; he can extend his days in office but not his lifespan. Let's hope what replaces his regime at the end of it isn't worse.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

He's a popular law-and-order candidate who gives lip-service to Islamic conservatism and Sharia Law. Never-the-less, his days are numbered; he can extend his days in office but not his lifespan. Let's hope what replaces his regime at the end of it isn't worse.

He's about 65.  Ten or more years is plenty of time to create one hell of a mess in that region.  Do you really believe he isn't a dictator already?  Can you imagine seeing him step aside?  I think it's safe to go on the record today with the prediction that Erdog is going to impose a reign of terror inside and around Turkey.  He'll meet his end when he tries it on Israel.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, and then said:

He's about 65.  Ten or more years is plenty of time to create one hell of a mess in that region.  Do you really believe he isn't a dictator already?  Can you imagine seeing him step aside?  I think it's safe to go on the record today with the prediction that Erdog is going to impose a reign of terror inside and around Turkey.  He'll meet his end when he tries it on Israel.

I see Turkey as like a big Israel, racked by internecine struggles and held together by the religion and ethnicity of the majority and it's military/industrial complex. The way you see Turkey is the way the Arab world sees Israel. The parallels are striking. Israel has the Palestinians to deal with, Turkey the Kurds, both groups with safe havens in Syria from which to launch attacks, both despising Assad and, in turn, not liked by the Arab world.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 11:25 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Turkey the Kurds

Not all Kurds. Only the ones that are Maoists. 

On 6/25/2018 at 7:23 PM, Piney said:

Mustafa Kemal  Attaturk would have Erdogan's head on a lance. That power hungry wannabe sikkos'ahk  can't even ride a horse.....

It's really sad to watch all of Attaturk's work go to waste like that. Turkey was on a good road, and I'm sure it would have been able to join the European Union in the future, but now? The EU only allows dictators if they are really sneaky about it, like good old Angie (joking joking, joking)

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, Hammerclaw said:

The way you see Turkey is the way the Arab world sees Israel. The parallels are striking.

HC, the Arabs aren't a dispassionate people on any topic.  They HATE the Jews.  It is bred into them with their mother's milk.  I hardly think of Turks with such venom.  The few I've met have been very intelligent and well-spoken individuals.  I understand your points but you go a bit far when telling me how I view things.  No offense intended and none taken :)

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

It's really sad to watch all of Attaturk's work go to waste like that. Turkey was on a good road, and I'm sure it would have been able to join the European Union in the future, but now? The EU only allows dictators if they are really sneaky about it, like good old Angie (joking joking, joking)

Attaturk "hero worshiped" Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. He read Thomas Paine and adopted many of his ideas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Attaturk "hero worshiped" Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. He read Thomas Paine and adopted many of his ideas.

He was a good man. So often these days it just seems like we have run out of good people. I see in many places that my generation and younger is getting disillusioned with democracy because of that, and that process is scary. Because well, as we all know   "democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2018 at 4:31 AM, and then said:

The only thing that shocks me about him at this point is why he still attempts to clothe himself in democratic trappings.  Any real opposition has been crushed by now.  Maybe he has a five-year-plan for taking the throne of the new Ottoman Empire.  I just hope our government isn't insanely PC enough to simply hand over 100 F-35's to him.  If he prepaid, it's time for a refund - or sanctions.  I'd say that a public announcement to buy the S-400 should be a clue that the Turkish membership in an anti-Soviet/Russian alliance has become a bit sketchy.  He needs to decide...in or out.

he is the new sultan alright. i bet he would love to create a political family dynasty to enforce political Islam on Turkey and play off all global players against themselves for Turkey's advantage. unfortunately for him we all know how that works out. Saddam and Gaddafi thought the same to. 

7 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

would the europeans really have included a huge Middle Eastern country in their economic and social project? i just can't see it happening.

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

would the europeans really have included a huge Middle Eastern country in their economic and social project? i just can't see it happening.

Probably just me being overly optimistic again. In any case I wasn't talking about today or tomorrow, but in something like maybe 20 years?

And well, if you ask Turkish people they will tell you that they're Europeans, not Middle Easterners.

• Like 1

Just a matter of time, before he proclaims himself Caliph.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Probably just me being overly optimistic again. In any case I wasn't talking about today or tomorrow, but in something like maybe 20 years?

And well, if you ask Turkish people they will tell you that they're Europeans, not Middle Easterners.

20 years is a long time but if current voter trends are anything to go by Turks are voting more conservative Islam. something that will be hard to integrate into the EU. of course given the choice between living in a peaceful and united Europe or a deeply fractured Middle East i know which one i would vote for. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Just a matter of time, before he proclaims himself Caliph.

Well, when he tried to claim "Father of Horses" he fell on his ass. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

20 years is a long time but if current voter trends are anything to go by Turks are voting more conservative Islam. something that will be hard to integrate into the EU. of course given the choice between living in a peaceful and united Europe or a deeply fractured Middle East i know which one i would vote for. 

Yeah you are right with that. But I was thinking more along the lines of Turkey continuing the path it was on in the latter 20th century, becoming fairly western oriented, secular, expanding it's tourism industry and all that.
If that trend had continued, they might have fit nicely into a stable Europe in 20 years time.
I have a few close Turkish friends who are very worried about recent events there, and here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeah you are right with that. But I was thinking more along the lines of Turkey continuing the path it was on in the latter 20th century, becoming fairly western oriented, secular, expanding it's tourism industry and all that.
If that trend had continued, they might have fit nicely into a stable Europe in 20 years time.
I have a few close Turkish friends who are very worried about recent events there, and here.

i have many Turkish friends and the majority are also worried for the future of their country. i think EU membership was a cold war reward for Turkey's support and now that the cold war is over europe will unfortunately renege on its promise. but this Erdogan is some piece of work. his dreams of Ottoman supremacy in the region does not bode well for the future. for his country and many others i fear. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 7:00 PM, Orphalesion said:

Stable Europe has become unstable in recent times thanks to Turkey letting through millions of refugees from Syria.  Funny how money talks and bs walks and all it took was a measly $6 bil offered by the EU to Erdogan to stem the flow.