Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Cryptid Do You Is Mostly To Be Found?

Jenn8779

I'm new and didn't see this specific question and I wanted to see what everyone had for a thought on this....what cryptid, or cryptids, do you think are most likely to be found as real animals?

Well the thing with cryptids is that this listing includes both creatures that are complete bullcrap and/or mythology (Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, Giants) as well as more reasonable creatures (survivors of recently exterminates species such as Tasmanian Tigers, or animals being found in the wrong location such as British Big Cats) 

Of the more reasonable creatures I find cyrptids that just amount to rare colorations of standard animals the most reasonable; things like melanistic cougars or maltese (blue) tigers. Another one I can consider taking seriously are  British Big Cats, with maybe the very, very rare case of an exotic pet escaping from an irresponsible owner and surviving for some time serving as the inspiration.

• Like 4

Honestly, none. It is all folklore but still fun to think about. Asfor the thylacine, it seemsquite readonable at first glance, but I doubt there's ever been a species whose absolute destruction was better documented. 

• Like 3

You mean most likely to be found? Maybe some recently extinct animal being "de-extincted" due to some kind of genetic engineering. Something with a very close living relative.

• Like 4

Everyone of them..."Now wouldn't that be fun"?, Science wouldn't know if they were "coming or going" lol 

• Like 2

Sea creatures. Maybe a new species of larger octopus? An even larger variety of antarctic squid, perhaps? Maybe a thylacine, too. Or, a relic population of previously-thought extinct critters.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Everyone of them..."Now wouldn't that be fun"?, Science wouldn't know if they were "coming or going" lol 

It'd be like the red button scene from Cabin in the Woods.

Let's get this party started. 

• Haha 3

I'm rooting for Meg or the Kraken, but we all know...

Ia Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Hamburglar....and possibly eunuchs too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The inter dimensional Pot Belly Goblin Globalists coming to take our American  freedoms away.

• Haha 2

of all the cryptids humans think might be real  the one I would truly like to see some proof positive evidence for would be bigfoot. it would be nice to know (proof positive) that I was not being played. it would be even nicer to find out that  they are as intelligent as ( or more so) we are. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm rooting for Meg or the Kraken, but we all know...

Ia Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

1a38401a972bdd5f55ec8fa6c3a47c83.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, mysticwerewolf said:

of all the cryptids humans think might be real  the one I would truly like to see some proof positive evidence for would be bigfoot. it would be nice to know (proof positive) that I was not being played. it would be even nicer to find out that  they are as intelligent as ( or more so) we are. 

That wouldn't be hard.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:06 AM, acute said:

Yes, the Bible speaks of giants. It also says that Methuselah lived to 969 years old.

Yeah the Bible tells of Nephilim. Pretty something, the sons of heaven making wives on earth.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, openozy said:

A new human like primate.

No earth have enough human already ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/06/2018 at 5:37 AM, Jenn8779 said:

I'm new and didn't see this specific question and I wanted to see what everyone had for a thought on this....what cryptid, or cryptids, do you think are most likely to be found as real animals?

All the ones allegedly seen by people, would have been found by now. 

We may discover an extinct animal one day,  but that is different from those made up by the human imagination.

While biologists regularly identify new species, cryptozoologists focus on entities mentioned in the folklore record (the academic study of which is folkloristics). Well-known examples of cryptids include the Yeti in the Himalayas, the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland, and Bigfoot in North America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptids

New species are being discovered, but although different, they are not cryptids. 

I have no doubts there are no mythical or supernatural cryptids.

I do believe people in the past saw creatures they had not seen before or only a few times...and then never again..due to extinction, and from there the folklores began. Over time and many versions told,  the creature could have been changed and shaped  in many different directions.

I can also see how some poor girl flapping against the tide could have been seen as the first mermaid by some on looker not realising she needed saving. She dissapears beneath the waves and here we are today with the tale of mermaids.  

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I can also see how some poor girl flapping against the tide could have been seen as the first mermaid by some on looker not realising she needed saving. She dissapears beneath the waves and here we are today with the tale of mermaids.  

That's an awesome picture ! Yep deformation with time of a sighting explain most of the cryptids. Story of Dragon in Europe can just be a lost crocodile or the Yeti the long lost mountain bear of Tibet.

Just listen to someone coming back from fishing and you have already entered folklore 

• Like 1

No cryptids are ever likely to be found because they are mythical and cryptozoology is folklore. Have cryptozoologists ever discovered anything?

There are real creatures thought to be extinct, or real undocumented creatures yet to be found though. 

• Like 1

Orang Pendek (or related species)

Giant Snake (over 30 ft)

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Thylacine

Edited by Menhir