Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thai teenage football team trapped in cave

Still Waters

16 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Indeed, I would hope he feels regret for the results of his actions. And yes, that death is horrifying, if a trained adult died, its not looking very positive for the kids is it. 

Yes, we no sooner hear something more positive about these children getting out safely...only to hear later of another terrible setback.

In the recent article that Ozfactor posted...some of these kids are now suffering the affects of malnutrition which will cause physical weakness and will also weaken their general immune systems. Also, without sunlight and proper fresh air to breath after nearly 2 weeks of being trapped in these dismal and damp caves I hate to think what might happen. They need to get them out ASAP, in which of course they are tying to do...as things are now getting desperate. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yes, we no sooner hear something more positive about these children getting out safely...only to hear later of another terrible setback.

In the recent article that Ozfactor posted...some of these kids are now suffering the affects of malnutrition which will cause physical weakness and will also weaken their general immune systems. Also, without sunlight and proper fresh air to breath after nearly 2 weeks of being trapped in these dismal and damp caves I hate to think what might happen. They need to get them out ASAP, in which of course they are tying to do...as things are now getting desperate. 

From following the story, I get the feeling somthing major is about to take place. I would guess a rescue attempt will be made soon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

From the latest link provided by Ozfactor

It is believed the group may have entered as part of an initiation rite, although two mothers came forward to say they did not blame coach Ekkapol Chantawong for their boys’ desperate circumstances.

Horrible situation.  

I felt sorry for the coach when not much information was known.   I figured the team wanted to explore the cave a bit and he decided it was OK.   Growing up in Missouri, we used to explore caves all the time.   It was fun.   Many times we felt we may have been the first people who had ever been there. 

If it was known that these caves are dangerous and he forced them to do it, it is a little different. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

Horrible situation.  

I felt sorry for the coach when not much information was known.   I figured the team wanted to explore the cave a bit and he decided it was OK.   Growing up in Missouri, we used to explore caves all the time.   It was fun.   Many times we felt we may have been the first people who had ever been there. 

I have to admit. I would have done it. Even now. I wasn't lucky enough to grow up near any cave systems. I would like to have, they fascinate me and I've travelled to see a few. 

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

If it was known that these caves are dangerous and he forced them to do it, it is a little different. 

Indeed, we don't know, and as I pointed out earlier, it seems it may have been some sort of initiation rite. I guess we will learn more as it unfolds. I just hope nobody else gets hurt, the diver incident is very sad. And I hope its resolved soon. 

• Like 1

This is just a terrible story and now it's gotten worse. A former Navy Seal has died during the rescue attempt. Officials said the weather will soon get worse. This doesn't sound good for the chances of getting all those kids and their coach out.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/thai-authorities-navy-seal-working-rescue-boys-trapped-56396928

• Sad 1

I really hope they get everyone out of there, safely.

• Like 1

Unfoertunaly I think that death will not be the last, keeping the group supplied constantly is complicated and dangerous in its own right

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Horrible situation.  

That it is.

I doubt that he had forced them, and it was absolutely unintentional to bring them any harm.

But to young kids in sport the coach is their messiah (so to speak)...he needs to claim responsibility..... for he was in charge of these kids at the time.

As far as I'm concerned the responsibility for this tragic mess lays with him. There is no doubt about it. 

How would you feel if this had happened in the States ?

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Astra. said:

That it is.

I doubt that he had forced them, and it was absolutely unintentional to bring them any harm.

But to young kids in sport the coach is their messiah (so to speak)...he needs to claim responsibility..... for he was in charge of these kids at the time.

As far as I'm concerned the responsibility for this tragic mess lays with him. There is no doubt about it. 

How would you feel if this had happened in the States ?

I'd feel the same.  

The guy made a horrible mistake.   I would still have some empathy for him.  

I encouraged my daughters to climb trees.   They climbed high enough that they could have died if they had fallen out.   It would have been my fault because I let them do it.   However, that would not make me a monster.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'd feel the same.  

The guy made a horrible mistake.   I would still have some empathy for him.  

I encouraged my daughters to climb trees.   They climbed high enough that they could have died if they had fallen out.   It would have been my fault because I let them do it.   However, that would not make me a monster.  

I understand where you are coming from Myles.

Where did I say the guy was a monster tho ?....I said that it was his responsibility for leading the kids into a perilous cave in the wet season. If he was smart he should have known better as a local of Thailand knowing that these caves flood. If he loses any credibility to coach children (if they are all brought to safety that is) then so be it. I certainly wouldn't have my kid under his guide as far as sports go, or anything else for that matter. He needs to own this. The man is obviously a twit.   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I understand where you are coming from Myles.

Where did I say the guy was a monster tho ?....I said that it was his responsibility for leading the kids into a perilous cave in the wet season. If he was smart he should have known better as a local of Thailand knowing that these caves flood. If he loses any credibility to coach children (if they are all brought to safety that is) then so be it. I certainly wouldn't have my kid under his guide as far as sports go, or anything else for that matter. He needs to own this. The man is obviously a twit.   

Oh, you didn't, but if he survives, the world (especially Thailand) will.   That's why I said I feel a little sorry for this guy.   He made a horrible mistake and should be held accountable for it.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh, you didn't, but if he survives, the world (especially Thailand) will.   That's why I said I feel a little sorry for this guy.   He made a horrible mistake and should be held accountable for it.  

Yes, well they do have a different culture to the rest of the Western world as they see and do things,

But they'd have his guts for garters if he was in this country...and I'm sure yours.

If he survives this, he should be held accountable in some way. You can't tell me that every mother / parent would be feeling too happy about this...as it's a Universal thing where I'm sure most parents would feel the same....whether it be Thailand or anywhere else.

Anyway, the most important thing atm...is to free these kids from the caves.

What will follow, is anybodies guess. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

Think about how many Very Bad Choices their guide had to consciously make before getting stuck where he is.

1. I am going to take a group of teens and pre-teens on an unguided cave trip

2. in a flood-prone region with posted warnings

3. I am going to take them past a point where they have to crawl, contort, wriggle, and squeeze, on slippery rocks with sharp turns and lots of detours with the potential to get lost

4. 2 miles underground sounds like a good distance to travel

You have to try very, very hard to screw yourself like this.

Hate to say this but I predict bad news. If O levels are where reports say they are, then the situation is dire. Simply supplying the group has already proven lethal. Diving them out is an act of desperation at this point. I am hoping for a better outcome than I expect.

Edited by The Caspian Hare
spelling
  • Like 1

They'e been to this cave before I read somewhere. The coach takes them out to places, hey had bikes outside the cave. I don' think he' the blame here as they went in pre monsoon season, looks like the rain was sudden and sharp.

ABC News said the rescue attempt will start in the next 24 hours. The oxygen level is dropping and more rain is on the way. They will have to scuba out using a partner system. Some caverns are totally flooded. I just hope everyone makes it ok. The coach may be to blame for taking them that far into the cave, but I hope they all get out, including the rescuers, alright.

How to save them?   Could little submarines be sent in going in to saved them ? Are the caves big enough  to fit them  ?

Edited by docyabut2

thai-soccer-boys-trapped-in-cave-4.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

I guess now the caves are to narrow.:( the caves will to totally flooded when the monsoons' rains come. Its so sad there no way to rescue the kids.:(     

Edited by docyabut2

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

How to save them?   Could little submarines be sent in going in to saved them ? Are the caves big enough  to fit them  ?

Thai cave rescue: Elon Musk sends SpaceX, Boring Co to help rescue trapped soccer team

In a series of tweets, the technology mogul and Tesla chief executive said his Boring Company — which digs tunnels for advanced transport systems — had advanced ground-penetrating radar, and brainstormed that an air tunnel constructed with soft tubing like a bouncy castle could provide flexible passage out.

Sounds promising. 

• Like 1

The Thai boys trapped in a cave have exchanged emotional letters with their parents, for the first time since their ordeal began two weeks ago.

"Don't worry, we are all strong," one child said in a note. "Teacher, don't give us lots of homework!" he joked.

The team's coach apologised to parents in a separate letter, but parents wrote that he should not blame himself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44748924

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Thai cave rescue: Elon Musk sends SpaceX, Boring Co to help rescue trapped soccer team

In a series of tweets, the technology mogul and Tesla chief executive said his Boring Company — which digs tunnels for advanced transport systems — had advanced ground-penetrating radar, and brainstormed that an air tunnel constructed with soft tubing like a bouncy castle could provide flexible passage out.

Sounds promising. 

Could they use a  driller to get to them,  before the monsoons' rains hit ?

This-Is-What-They-Built-To-Provide-Water-To-NYC-In-1915-7-610x457.jpg

It looks like they are preparing for a rescue 

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/thai-cave-rescue-new-detail-emerges-of-buddy-dive-plan-to-save-trapped-boys/news-story/fb6ba058c55907266ef7962ea25719e5

AFTER an anxious wait, reports are surfacing that a possible rescue mission is under way to save the 12 boys and their coach stuck in a Thai cave.

A row of ambulances seen heading to the site on Sunday morning sparked reports a rescue mission was under way. Thai divers have also arrived while journalists on the scene report that “the trend toward an imminent rescue attempt continues”.

CNN’s Matt Rivers said the forecast for monsoonal rains meant there might be no alternative but to try and get the boys out now. The situation has become more urgent over the last 24 hours due to oxygen levels dropping inside the cave. While rain has held off within the area, forecasts are calling for more to fall.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Could they use a  driller to get to them,  before the monsoons' rains hit ?

This-Is-What-They-Built-To-Provide-Water-To-NYC-In-1915-7-610x457.jpg

I think it was more the inflatable tube as the option. 

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I think it was more the inflatable tube as the option. 

Could `nt they drill closer to where the kids are at, 2,5 miles from the entrance , at the side of the hill or mountain  ?

thai-soccer-boys-trapped-in-cave-4.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all

Maybe the tubes will work , but could collapse, and not have enough air to get them out .

Edited by docyabut2

At last!

Thailand cave rescue: Mission to save boys under way

Rescuers in Thailand have begun a hazardous operation to lead 12 boys and one adult out of a cave where they have been trapped for two weeks.

The group are stranded on a ledge 4km inside the Tham Luang cave but amid fears of rising waters, officials have decided they cannot wait any longer.

Officials have called it D-Day, saying the boys are fit and ready to move.

Expert divers will help guide them out but authorities stress they do not know how long it will take.

The boys are expected to be brought out in groups, however a statement from the Thai government said they were yet to decide how many will emerge in the first operation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44755452

Live reporting in this link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/44755093

• Thanks 2

Great news!

"Two kids are out. They are currently at the field hospital near the cave.

"We are giving them a physical examination. They have not been moved to Chiang Rai hospital yet."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/44755093

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2