Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thai teenage football team trapped in cave

Still Waters

Fantastic news they have all been found alive but they are still trapped, unable to swim and could be trapped for months 

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/incredible-footage-emerges-of-the-moment-13-trapped-boys-were-found-in-flooded-cave/news-story/5b74e466ac5706f53b5a5285fa384746

However, it is far from over for the young boys. In fact, an Australian cave diving expert has warned they may be trapped inside the cave for months.

The navy has brought in four months worth of food for the operation and as the navy gives the boys diving training to evacuate the group from the complex underground system.

Peter Wolf, the national director of the Cave Divers Association of Australia told The Guardian the boys will not be able to exit the cave anytime soon as they are unable to swim.

“The length of the cave and the conditions that they’re actually diving in means there are probably very few people on the planet who can actually get those provisions to them,” he said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

Fantastic news they have all been found alive but they are still trapped, unable to swim and could be trapped for months 

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/incredible-footage-emerges-of-the-moment-13-trapped-boys-were-found-in-flooded-cave/news-story/5b74e466ac5706f53b5a5285fa384746

Yes, it's absolutely wonderful news that they are all alive and generally well. It's truly amazing. 

Here's hoping they will get these kids out safely in one way or another before too long. Perish the thought of them being trapped in this cave for months. 

• Like 5

The boys can't swim and bringing them out means diving through caves :huh:

• Sad 2

A very difficult process and a long one, I hope everything turns out all right, but one question has been really bothering me: before the search team was sent and before they were sending supplies, what in Gods name did they eat? Or drink for that matter?

I think I've read that they have been missing a few days before the divers have been able to send supplies but maybe I'm missing some info?

• Like 2

Heavy rain is forecast and they could have only hours to evacuate the boys 

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/trapped-boys-could-be-handed-diving-masks-within-hours/news-story/0b63bbae5171a54d917a275a9713312b

HEAVY rain forecast for northern Thailand could spell disaster for the Thai schoolboys found alive inside a flooded cave — and the situation is so dire they could be handed diving masks within hours and told to swim for it.

The 12 schoolboys in baggy football kits and their coach were discovered yesterday to jubilant celebrations, but it was warned that the recuse operation to guide them through the cave’s 2km system could take up to four months.

However, the Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said evacuating the boys “must speed up” as soon as possible before more rain falls and exacerbates the flooding.

The grim forecast could force authorities to have the children — who cannot swim — out through a narrow, underwater passage in the cave.

“If something happens midway, it could be life-threatening.” Mr Paojinda said.

“Diving is not easy. For people who have never done it, it will be difficult, unlike diving in a swimming pool, because the cave’s features have small channels.”

There are a couple of other options on the table if that doesn’t work and the heavy rains subside.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ozfactor said:

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/trapped-boys-could-be-handed-diving-masks-within-hours/news-story/0b63bbae5171a54d917a275a9713312b

HEAVY rain forecast for northern Thailand could spell disaster for the Thai schoolboys found alive inside a flooded cave — and the situation is so dire they could be handed diving masks within hours and told to swim for it.

The 12 schoolboys in baggy football kits and their coach were discovered yesterday to jubilant celebrations, but it was warned that the recuse operation to guide them through the cave’s 2km system could take up to four months.

However, the Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said evacuating the boys “must speed up” as soon as possible before more rain falls and exacerbates the flooding.

The grim forecast could force authorities to have the children — who cannot swim — out through a narrow, underwater passage in the cave.

“Diving is not easy. For people who have never done it, it will be difficult, unlike diving in a swimming pool, because the cave’s features have small channels.”

There are a couple of other options on the table if that doesn’t work and the heavy rains subside.

It sounds like such a dire situation. I wonder if it's possible at all to bring machinery in so as to possibly drill through the side of the hilly terrain where the boys are approximately pin pointed to be, so as to give them an escape route. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

Sahheeeiiiyytt

10 hours ago, Astra. said:

It sounds like such a dire situation. I wonder if it's possible at all to bring machinery in so as to possibly drill through the side of the hilly terrain where the boys are approximately pin pointed to be, so as to give them an escape route. 

I read on one link they had considered that, apparently they would have to drill down, and they are worried about the cave collapsing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

I read on one link they had considered that, apparently they would have to drill down, and they are worried about the cave collapsing. 

Thanks Psyche, I wasn't aware that they had considered that option. But yes, I can certainly understand where the fears of a collapse would have to be taken into serious account. 

• Thanks 1

A new video has been released of the 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a Thai cave, in which they say they are in good health.

Smiling and at times laughing, they introduce themselves one by one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44707303

• Like 2

Assuming he survives, I think this coach will not be too popular among the parents

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Assuming he survives, I think this coach will not be too popular among the parents

Can't be more unpopular than the Philippines Basketball Coach right now........ :ph34r:

• Haha 1

This is promising:

Trapped boys may be able to 'walk out' of Thai cave as water levels drop – live

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/05/thailand-cave-rescue-thai-free-boys-football-soccer-team-monsoon-rain-live

Authorities have announced they have reduced the water levels in the first section of the cave – a 1.5km stretch from the entrance to a point they are calling chamber three – by 40%. It is now possible to walk through the water up to chamber three.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

I really feel for that guy.   He made a mistake, but he'll be one of the most hated people in the country.  Lose his job and probably face jail time.   He was just trying to provide an activity.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I really feel for that guy.   He made a mistake, but he'll be one of the most hated people in the country.  Lose his job and probably face jail time.   He was just trying to provide an activity.  

I don't feel sorry at all for this guy (coach). He should of known better than leading a bunch of young kids into these perilous caves especially in the monsoonal season. This guy is obviously an irresponsible moron and should definitely be held accountable.

• Like 2

A rescue diver has died on a return dive from delivering oxygen bottles to the stranded boys .
Things look grim 
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/frantic-rescuers-battle-against-time-to-free-thai-schoolboys-from-from-cave/news-story/1ff527c95f877abc0f73f8907f0a4eea

A FORMER Thai Navy SEAL has died during the rescue operation to save 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped inside a flooded cave.

Authorities have confirmed the diver’s death was caused by lack of oxygen, and the man died while making his way out of the cave complex where the group is trapped.

The man has been identified as retired Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Saman Kunan who volunteered for the operation after having left his post.

The rescuer lost consciousness after placing oxygen tanks in the cave and could not be revived despite first-aid attempts by his dive partner.

Authorities say the cave system, Mae Sai, northern Thailand, is losing oxygen as they continue to try and deliver air supplies to the kids and coach through a pipe.

They say the ventilation pipe must reach them today.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, Myles said:

From the latest link provided by Ozfactor

It is believed the group may have entered as part of an initiation rite, although two mothers came forward to say they did not blame coach Ekkapol Chantawong for their boys’ desperate circumstances.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

From the latest link provided by Ozfactor

It is believed the group may have entered as part of an initiation rite, although two mothers came forward to say they did not blame coach Ekkapol Chantawong for their boys’ desperate circumstances.

I take my hat off to the mothers who can forgive this man. All I know is that if it was my 11 year old son that had been encouraged and lead into this type of cave system (and without my permission to do so) I'd be as angry as hell, apart from my agonising worry. I'm not sure how Aussie parents would have felt if this type of scenario had happened here. But something tells me there would be much outrage. There's already been one fatality because of this mans thoughtless 'mistake'...lets hope there is no more. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Ozfactor said:

A rescue diver has died on a return dive from delivering oxygen bottles to the stranded boys .
Things look grim 
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/frantic-rescuers-battle-against-time-to-free-thai-schoolboys-from-from-cave/news-story/1ff527c95f877abc0f73f8907f0a4eea

It's great that Elon Musk has offered to help with his company's. He's a good guy that man. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I take my hat off to the mothers who can forgive this man. All I know is that if it was my 11 year old son that had been encouraged and lead into this type of cave system (and without my permission to do so) I'd be as angry as hell, apart from my agonising worry. I'm not sure how Aussie parents would have felt if this type of scenario had happened here. But something tells me there would be much outrage. There's already been one fatality because of this mans thoughtless 'mistake'...lets hope there is no more. 

You know, I reckon I would be livid too.

The article mentions something of an initiation ceremony, maybe it's something that is done often and this is the first time somthing has gone so wrong? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You know, I reckon I would be livid too.

The article mentions something of an initiation ceremony, maybe it's something that is done often and this is the first time somthing has gone so wrong? 

Yes, well it is Thailand. And I'm aware that they have a different culture to us. It might be worth a search to see if this type of initiation ceremony is a common way of life for them. Even so, I think it would be an appropriate gesture for the coach (Ekkapol Chantawong) to at least send a message of regret and apologise to the families for the worry and grief that this has caused them (if he already hasn't) not to mention all of the other lives at stake who are trying frantically to save him and this group of children. It's very sad indeed that one of the volunteers have already died.   

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yes, well it is Thailand. And I'm aware that they have a different culture to us. It might be worth a search to see if this type of initiation ceremony is a common way of life for them. Even so, I think it would be an appropriate gesture for the coach (Ekkapol Chantawong) to at least send a message of regret and apologise to the families for the worry and grief that this has caused them (if he already hasn't) not to mention all of the other lives at stake who are trying frantically to save him and this group of children. It's very sad indeed that one of the volunteers have already died.   

Indeed, I would hope he feels regret for the results of his actions. And yes, that death is horrifying, if a trained adult died, its not looking very positive for the kids is it. 

• Sad 2