Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Julius Caesar had a 'crazy bulge' on his head

UM-Bot

No wonder he didn't see Brutus coming: no peripheral vision.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Inbreeding? Encephalitis as a child? Both?

...well, no. He came from a famous family, so we know for three or four generations back there was no inbreeding.

However -- like the article says -- he is famous for being the product of a difficult birth and the surgical intervention to relieve that was named after him -- the Caesarian Section.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

...well, no. He came from a famous family, so we know for three or four generations back there was no inbreeding.

However -- like the article says -- he is famous for being the product of a difficult birth and the surgical intervention to relieve that was named after him -- the Caesarian Section.

--Jaylemurph

That his son Caesarian, not J. C himself. And it's apparently not accurate anyway as while the procedure was used at that time it invariably resulted in the death of the mother, and as in this case that was Cleopatra we know that isn't the case.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

You folks should hear what those wacky ancient Egyptians say about his 'other' crazy bulge ...

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2018 at 1:19 AM, oldrover said:

That his son Caesarian, not J. C himself. And it's apparently not accurate anyway as while the procedure was used at that time it invariably resulted in the death of the mother, and as in this case that was Cleopatra we know that isn't the case.

Hi Oldrover,

I remembered about reading that Ceasar suffered from epilepsy and did a quick look to make sure. What they are now saying is that he suffered Mimi strokes, I will have to go back to further read on it as I was looking while waiting on someone and had to stop when they showed up. Just wondered if the bulge was the cause.

jmccr8

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Oldrover,

I remembered about reading that Ceasar suffered from epilepsy and did a quick look to make sure. What they are now saying is that he suffered Mimi strokes, I will have to go back to further read on it as I was looking while waiting on someone and had to stop when they showed up. Just wondered if the bulge was the cause.

jmccr8

Hi Jmccr8, 

Caeser is said to have been epileptic, but I'm not sure how possible it'd be to come up with an alternate diagnosis of mini strokes from ancient texts, but people do suggest things like this. If it waa mini strokes though, they'd be little micro clots blicking the smaller vessels in the brain, so it'dbe hard to see how a lump would be causing that, but I have no idea really. 

Returning to epilepsy though, Alexander the Great was also said to have suffered from it,  and in some sources (which I can't recall) seem tosuggest that Caeser had a tendency to compare himself to and had an interest in Alexander. Is it possible that the idea of Caeser the epileptic stems from his PR machine coming up with shared features between the two?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Hi Jmccr8, 

Caeser is said to have been epileptic, but I'm not sure how possible it'd be to come up with an alternate diagnosis of mini strokes from ancient texts, but people do suggest things like this. If it waa mini strokes though, they'd be little micro clots blicking the smaller vessels in the brain, so it'dbe hard to see how a lump would be causing that, but I have no idea really. 

Returning to epilepsy though, Alexander the Great was also said to have suffered from it,  and in some sources (which I can't recall) seem tosuggest that Caeser had a tendency to compare himself to and had an interest in Alexander. Is it possible that the idea of Caeser the epileptic stems from his PR machine coming up with shared features between the two?  

Hi Oldrover,

On my laptop now and had some time to go back to read and post links, I find the phone okay for reading but less effective in posting. I am going to post a wiki link for overview and another one that discusses why they now believe that he suffered from mini strokes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar

https://www.history.com/news/julius-caesar-suffered-from-strokes-not-epilepsy-new-study-says

jmccr8

• Like 1

I always heard that the idea of c-sections being named after Caesar (or Cesarian) is totally wrong. Likewise the idea that Caesar was named as such because him or one of his ascendants was born that way is also debated but believed wrong. Cesarian section comes from the latin verb cesare, which means to separate and it is just a coincidence it fits so well with the name of the emperor, or of his son.
But seeing this big giant head, it does make me wonder...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Et tu bighead, et tu...

On 6/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, Twin said:

He looks a little like a star child.

Giorgio is flying out to investigate as we speak!