Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whom to Believe...???

Kais_one

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Love to. Can I bring my own sand? :rolleyes:

You don't need to bring your own sand we have plenty to go around. 

Have you ever been to Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan Beaches? 

It is a great story, in 1996 my husband bought me a map and told me to close my eyes and pick, I landed on the South Bay Area and we moved here. 

My hubby is very romantic. :wub:

Edited by Sherapy

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

You don't need to bring your own sand we have plenty to go around. 

Have you ever been to Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan Beaches? 

Many times. Been in SoCal since 1963. Grew up and spent most of my time here in the Covina - Glendora area. 

It's been a privilege living here but there are many other places in the USA I've visited that are much nicer than Hollywood. No what I mean?

14 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Many times. Been in SoCal since 1963. Grew up and spent most of my time here in the Covina - Glendora area. 

It's been a privilege living here but there are many other places in the USA I've visited that are much nicer than Hollywood. No what I mean?

For me, it is hard to find better than where I live. I travel a lot and I have been to some nice places, but it doesn't compare to living by the beach/ocean. My dad lives in Charlevoix a lovely picturesque town surrounded by Lake Michigan. Lake Charlevoix, and Round Lake, he sails on his lovely boat and lives in a beautiful home that overlooks the whole town, yet it has bugs for days and is only nice a few months, I love it for about 4 days ( I am going there after Palm Springs)  then I want to come back to California, for me, it is about as good as it gets it has it all, grandeur, beauty, opulence, opportunity, diversity, the ocean, weather etc. etc. 

You are not a California native then? 

Edited by Sherapy

16 hours ago, Sherapy said:

The flaw is you are trying to "construct" an empirical argument by analogy using inductive reasoning as oppossed to deductive reasoning. 

Comparing something that is know to exist with something that is not known to exist. 

The end result is you have advanced an argument that hasn't supported your claim.

Therefore your claim is faith based. 

That is just psycho babble and doesn't really even make coherent sense But, in any case, it is an opinion based upon your own  world views beliefs.

Do you argue that my contention that my wife or dogs are real, is faith based ? 

If you can accept that i can determine the reality and solidity of those beings using evidences and logic, then you cannot dispute that i can also estblish the  reality and solidity of anything or being i encounter  using identical evidences and processes 

The issue is your basic disbelief than any such beings or things exist .

You can believe a wife and dogs exist, but you cannot admit to a belief that gods, angels, etc. do. 

You do NOT "know" that my wife or dogs actually exist You have taken my word that they do. ie you have accepted their existence on faith 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

That is just psycho babble and doesn't really even make coherent sense But, in any case, it is an opinion based upon your own  world views beliefs.

Do you argue that my contention that my wife or dogs are real, is faith based ? 

If you can accept that i can determine the reality and solidity of those beings using evidences and logic, then you cannot dispute that i can also estblish the  reality and solidity of anything or being i encounter  using identical evidences and processes 

The issue is your basic disbelief than any such beings or things exist .

You can believe a wife and dogs exist, but you cannot admit to a belief that gods, angels, etc. do. 

You do NOT "know" that my wife or dogs actually exist You have taken my word that they do. ie you have accepted their existence on faith 

You are in the wrong discipline, inductive and deductive logic are not Psychology, but basic logic taught in high school Math.

What you use to conclude is Hueristics the equivalent of common sense, or guessing, or making stuff up, it helps you avoid the heavy lifting of refining your critical thinking skills. 

The problem with your argument is that gods, angels, etc., are not known to exist, meaning in lay terms they do not have an objective factual reality. 

I can infer via deductive logic that it is reasonably certain to conclude that wives and dogs do exist, therefore, your claim to a wife or dog is probable. Even if you in particular are lying about having a wife or dog it doesn't null and void that dogs and wives are known to exist. 

Faith doesn't come into deductive logic, facts do. 

Faith is the only path to gods and angels, once again your counter fails.

Edited by Sherapy

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Faith doesn't come into deductive logic, facts do. 

Faith is the only path to gods and angels, once again your counter fails.

Sheri, what Mr Walker is saying is that faith, as an approach to understanding what's real, is superior to all other ways.

The problem for those who will not decide to initiate faith in God is that because of this, the ability to see doesn't exist. This is not a put down of those who don't have faith. It's just a matter of fact.

Think of very fine print. Too small to read with the naked eye.

In that regard, faith is a magnifying glass. 

32 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Sheri, what Mr Walker is saying is that faith, as an approach to understanding what's real, is superior to all other ways.

The problem for those who will not decide to initiate faith in God is that because of this, the ability to see doesn't exist. This is not a put down of those who don't have faith. It's just a matter of fact.

Think of very fine print. Too small to read with the naked eye.

In that regard, faith is a magnifying glass. 

No Will, MW is using Hueristics as his thinking style: guessing, over generalizing, making things up, for ex: because so many believe in angels on faith and there are books about angels this is evidence he should too. He has actually countered this as an argument many times. 

I don't have the issue with faith as the vehicle for his beliefs, he does. 

I accept that faith is the only way one beleives in god and all things supernatural. 

MW is not getting much attention, or stress release  so he took me off ignore to have someone to post to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

No Will, MW is using Hueristics as his thinking style: guessing, over generalizing, making things up, for ex: because so many believe in angels on faith and there are books about angels this is evidence he should too. He has actually countered this as an argument many times. 

I don't have the issue with faith as the vehicle for his beliefs, he does. 

I accept that faith is the only way one beleives in god and all things supernatural. 

MW is not getting much attention, or stress release  so he took me off ignore to have someone to post to. 

Well then, maybe he should spend a couple of weeks in Hermosa Beach. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

hermosa-beach-california-HERMOSA0617.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

Well then, maybe he should spend a couple of weeks in Hermosa Beach. :rolleyes:

Or Manhattan Beach, lovely exhilarating, :P peace inducing beach community. 

Hello all!

Like with anything in life, interpretation of Qur'anic verses can be subjective if one does not have a more complete picture. So, in order to understand why the chapter of the Qur'an mentions Sirius and why God Almighty in the Qur'an says that He is the Lord of Sirius, you need to read the whole book and understand the Islamic concept of God. God, according to Islam/Qur'an is: Perfect, above all He created, unlike anything He created and is Creator of everything visible or not. This is very important to grasp in order to understand the references of Allah being the Lord of something mentioned. Whether you believe Qur'an to be of divine origin or not, you cannot cherry pick it. In fact, the Qur'an itselfs calls on its readers to pay attention to and  reflect on what it says in order to understand it.

So, lets begin with the first verse of the first chapter of the Qur'an: 

"All praise is due to The God (Allah), the Lord of the worlds," Qur'an chapter 1, verse 1. 

One looks at the sentence and wonders about the plural. But the plural is actually accurately translated. Well, we got one physical world don't we? God in the Qur'an says that there are more worlds than we can see or know about, and according to Qur'an God (Allah) is the Lord of all of them:

1. Qur'an 2:29: God created our physical world

2.  Heaven & Hell (spiritual abode/Hereafter)--I cannot find the verse(s) at the moment

3. Qur'an 65:12: 7 heavens and 7 earths (possibly different dimensions)

So, what about the Sirius? Well, my research indicates that pre-Islamic pagan Arabs did have one supreme god they called Allah, but they did not believe Him to be the Only One. Hence, Qur'an calls them back to one faith in one God, to the God they already somewhat recognized as the Lord of the Heavens and Earth. Just like God in the Qur'an tells the Christians that Jesus is not god or son of God, but rather a noble creation of God, so God uses Sirius to remind pagans that He created Sirius too. Qur'an says that there are no other gods ruling over anything besides The One, True God (Allah). Pagans ridiculed the idea of the supreme deity not having other "divine" helpers. Among their many idols was idol Ash-Shi'rā. She was believed to be a god of Sirius, wealth, fortune, etc. Basically, Allah is telling Arabs: no, no idol created Sirius, but me. And no, Sirius cannot give you anything for the idols have no power (Qur'an chapter Surah Al-Ankabut, verse 17), and all the power is with The God (Qur'an 2:148). The God is the meaning of Name Allah in the Arabic language and is universal among Arabic speakers, regardless if they are Muslims or not. 

Anyway, that Sirius or any other heavenly body is NOT object to be worshiped, The God in the Qur'an further clarifies: "Among His Signs are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon. Do not prostrate to the sun and the moon, but prostrate to Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve" (Qur'an 41:37). 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Amica