Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another shooting by police

and-then

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-officer-charged-fatal-shooting-unarmed-east-pittsburgh/story?id=56196640

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/us/michael-rosfeld-charged-criminal-homicide-antwon-rose-east-pittsburgh/index.html

From the CNN piece - At the hospital, police collected Antwon's belongings, including a light-colored T-shirt and an empty magazine for the 9mm Glock.

My understanding about use of lethal force is that it is acceptable if the officer feels his life is in jeopardy or if the suspect is considered armed and dangerous to the public.  The vehicle Mr. Rose was a passenger in was identified as being at the scene of a drive-by shooting.  It was pulled over, had bullet holes in it and the kid ran.  The cop thought he saw a weapon but regardless whether Antwon had one on him or not, the cop had reason to believe that he was armed and fleeing.  That makes it a righteous shooting, IMO.  Now, this cop is facing life in prison.  I'm not a person that believes all cops are always right, no matter what they do but really?  What are they supposed to do now?  If a violent crime has just been committed and the suspect runs, we just say, oh well, hopefully, they won't kill an innocent person?  We've reached a point now where lawlessness is out of control and getting worse, daily.  It's sad that this teen is dead but it isn't the first time a 17-year-old died from stupidity, is it?  He had an empty mag in his pocket and two guns were found in the vehicle he fled.  He might look like an angel but at a minimum, he was hanging with a potential murderer and there are consequences to those kinds of decisions.  It amazes me that ANYONE would still want to be in law enforcement today.  If this cop gets convicted and ever placed in genpop, he's as good as dead.  :no:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

When is the Liberal/Black lives matter community actually going to address the massive Elephant in the room? More young Black Men die at the hands of other young Black. Cops are caught in the middle of this vicious gang culture.

If they haven't acknowledged it by now, I doubt they ever will.  The net effect is eventually going to be a breakdown in policing in the major cities.  Cops will just begin to take a paycheck and let the scum run amok.  I mean, if you see another cop go to prison for life while trying to follow the rules, why try any longer?  Something like that occurred in a midwestern city a few years ago.  I think it was KC.  There were riots because of a shooting like this and the cops just pulled back and let the scum have their way with the population for a while.  Pretty soon they were raising hell against the cops for NOTpolicing aggressively.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, and then said:

He had an empty mag in his pocket and two guns were found in the vehicle he fled. 

I have a gun in my storage unit , if I fled from the cops should they be able to shoot me because of it? 

The cop wasn't at risk. Period, end of discussion. We cant allow armed government authorities to be violent to the citizenry based on their feelings.

How is this not Freedom 101? 

• Like 4

We aren't supposed to link to graphic videos here, but I watched one on You tube where a group of 4 or 5 black men jaywalked in front of a parked Police cruiser. The Officer got out to confront the men about the jay walking. One of the men took off running and the Officer shot him. It was a justified, shut and close case. The Officers word against the remaining black men. He claimed he saw a gun, the black men said he didn't. Months or maybe a year later, someone found surveillance video that showed what happened. The man took off running, never put his hands near his pockets or anything, just running *******s to elbows. The Officer shot him in the back a few times, ran to were he was laying with gun shot wounds, hands outstretched, clearly in sight, and executed him. He is rightfully serving a life sentence.

Was he even sure Antwon was the shooter when he shot him in the back? Fleeing from Police shouldn't be a death sentence. We have courts and do not need a Judge Dredd world.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, seanjo said:

When is the Liberal/Black lives matter community actually going to address the massive Elephant in the room? More young Black Men die at the hands of other young Black. Cops are caught in the middle of this vicious gang culture.

If cops cant handle that without killing unarmed individuals then perhaps they should quit and make room for candidates who can

• Like 3

Just now, seanjo said:

Off you go then, join at your leisure.

I did at one point, was offered a position with the troopers, local PD and department of corrections. I chose corrections as it seemed a better fit.  Didn't do that super long however, one of my larger professional regrets to be honest. Those state benefits sure were nice. 

• Like 1

"You do not shoot somebody in the back if they are not a threat to you."

lol, the article is way behind times, yes cops do shoot people in the back and get away, i have little doubts this guy will get off. i also do not feel bad about the thug, no loss here either.

i'm generally not a fan of cops, but i'm even less of a fan of thugs.

expect cops be more aggressive with shootings, look at how many were ever convicted by a judge, 0

if we want things to change we need to start with judges and police unions. once cops see that no one will cover up for them when they are wrong, there will be changes, corrupt cops will quit,. and those who are not abusing power will stay.

Edited by aztek

19 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Off you go then, join at your leisure.

You as a liberal are still ignoring the very real fact that more Black Men die at the hands of other Black Men and it is that fact that makes Cops twitchy.

They should be safe unless they are black cops, no?

• Haha 1

Just now, seanjo said:

You as a liberal are still ignoring the very real fact that more Black Men die at the hands of other Black Men and it is that fact that makes Cops twitchy.

yes, true, but it does not matter to them, it only matters when a white kills black.  same way i can slap my brother around, but if someone else does.......... you get the idea.

that is another liberal tactic to divide us.,

Someone fleeing a vehicle used in a drive-bye can logically be perceived as a threat to the public so I think this cop will face minimum consequences.  I personally don't like the way he shot this kid in the back.

• Like 2

I can rehash:

45 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Implying that cops are twitchy because blacks statistically kill the most black men.

I replied:

27 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

They should be safe unless they are black cops, no?

Just out of curiosity,  who are cops most likely to be killed by?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

You as a conservative are ignoring the fact that shooting an unarmed black man is unjustifiable murder. This 'black on black crime' statistic you keep touting is irrelevant to this fact whether it's true or not. If black people make cops 'twitchy', then they need racial sensitivity training or to be kicked off the force.

• Like 4

Just now, Gromdor said:

Just out of curiosity,  who are cops most likely to be killed by?

donuts, and chairs.  more cops die of heart attack than bullets, i posted stats before.

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

Implying that cops are twitchy because blacks statistically kill the most black men.

yes, because 13% commits more than half of violent crimes, murders included. and has this cultural thing, resisting authorities, no matter what.  it is not a profiling, but acting according to real world situation.

this is one of the few cases i'm not blaming the cop. a guy runs from a stop, out of the car that matches description of a car being used in a drive by, a guy may very well be armed and pose danger, so the cop stops him. can't blame the cop here.

Edited by aztek

I  don't understand why tazers are not employed in a run away situation. 

And I never understood how shooting at a member of any community helps. The logic behind it, in my eyes, is that you just created more animosity towards your own community.

Shoot one person and raise an army against yourself. It seems foolish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

donuts, and chairs.  more cops die of heart attack than bullets, i posted stats before.

Donuts and chairs are people now?  Statistically which ethnic group shoots police officers the most?  (I bet you this ethnic group also commits the most murders in their own ethnic group as well....)

Just now, Gromdor said:

Donuts and chairs are people now?  Statistically which ethnic group shoots police officers the most?  (I bet you this ethnic group also commits the most murders in their own ethnic group as well....)

13% of population commits more than half of all violent crimes so the rest  87% commit less than half of all violent crimes, also 80% of ALL crimes are gang related, statistically which ethnic group has more gang members per 100k???   that should be your answer.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Obviously none of us were anywhere near this situation but based on how it's described, this does sound like a perfect opportunity to use a tazer assuming the distance allowed for it. Even shooting him in the back with a tazer would/could be justified. It subdues the suspect (usually,) and everyone leaves alive.

• Like 1

tasers only good on paper, in real world they do not work half the time, and cops abuse the hell out of them cuz it is not lethal on paper,  (but in real world they do kill) and cops use it even when there is no reason to do so, indiscriminately,.  plenty of stories on the net, they even shoot handcuffed suspects just for fun.   i'm very much against tasers in cops hands,

1 minute ago, aztek said:

tasers only good on paper, in real world they do not work half the time, and cops abuse the hell out of them cuz it is not lethal on paper,  (but in real world they do kill) and cops use it even when there is no reason to do so, indiscriminately,.  plenty of stories on the net, they even shoot handcuffed suspects just for fun.   i'm very much against tasers in cops hands,

So they abuse the tazers?

I would be against having people in police positions who don't respect the weapon. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kismit said:

And I never understood how shooting at a member of any community helps. The logic behind it, in my eyes, is that you just created more animosity towards your own community.

Shoot one person and raise an army against yourself. It seems foolish. 

High powered pepperball rifles are another good option. Between the thump of the ball and the sting of pepper in the lungs the perp wouldn't get too far. 

• Like 1

it is not the weapon they do not respect, they do not respect  civilians. everyone is a criminal, just not everyone got caught yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

it is not the weapon they do not respect, they do not respect  civilians. everyone is a criminal, just not everyone got caught yet

Then there is an inherent problem with in the police. 

• Like 1

When I was in Iraq, if I saw a man fleeing with what I was 100% sure to be an AK-47, I'd be in Leavenworth.

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

High powered pepperball rifles are another good option. Between the thump of the ball and the sting of pepper in the lungs the perp wouldn't get too far. 

Is that weapon effective while shooting people in the back though?

• Like 1