Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Harte

Blistering the fringe in this section

197 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

jaylemurph
4 minutes ago, Harte said:

By "biscuit" I assume you mean "cookie."

Harte

Nope. Actual Southern biscuit. Got my mom’s recipe, my grandmother’s recipe, Alton Brown’s and one or two others. I expect tweaks will be made. 

—Jaylemurph 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
BorizBadinov
1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

I’m so bored, I bought supplies to finally work on my biscuit receipt. Bought the last sack of flour in the grocery store. 

—Jaylemurph 

Lucky you. I have been trying to get more flour for 3 weeks. The only choice on the shelves is almond flour at 20$ for a 1 pounder. :angry:

Homemade biscuits are the stuff! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, BorizBadinov said:

Lucky you. I have been trying to get more flour for 3 weeks. The only choice on the shelves is almond flour at 20$ for a 1 pounder. :angry:

Homemade biscuits are the stuff! 

I went down a biscuit-making video rabbit hole on YouTube one night recently and that set me off. Happened to talk to my mother on the phone the next day — she herself will tell you she’s not much cop at making them, but her mother’s were apparently out of this world. Went to the grocery store and found a young lady on her knees on the flour aisle, arm-deep on the lowest shelf. “There’s just one left if you want it,” she said, sos I tooks it. Weird thing is, they’d had flour in stock for a while. 

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Windowpane

I found a recipe yesterday for bread using yoghourt and stinging nettles ...

Perhaps fortunately, my neighbour (a professional cook) left a kilo of bread flour on the doorstep for me ...

Anywayyyyyyyy ..........  getting back on topic (as far as is possible): there seems to be some fringe-blistering of various sorts going on here.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BorizBadinov
1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

I went down a biscuit-making video rabbit hole on YouTube one night recently and that set me off.

I had a similar experience a while back. It's simply amazing what one can learn and spend hours watching from a simple internet search.  I live a ways out in the country and I like fresh bread so I decided to try and master the art.

Unfortunately with the current crises here in prepperland one must get up early to get thier flour ration apparently,  and so far I have failed to motivate myself accordingly. It's that or fight the wild geese in the field out back over last year's feed corn leavings. One or two more biscuit batches left then drastic measures might be necessary :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
5 hours ago, Windowpane said:

 stinging nettles 

Makes some of the best soup broth. :tu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Windowpane
7 hours ago, Piney said:

Makes some of the best soup broth. :tu:

(Stinging nettles)

Well: I tried making nettle soup last year, and it was ghastly.  But, given the present climate, I should probably have another go ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
On 4/2/2020 at 1:49 PM, jaylemurph said:

Nope. Actual Southern biscuit. Got my mom’s recipe, my grandmother’s recipe, Alton Brown’s and one or two others. I expect tweaks will be made. 

—Jaylemurph 

Hope you're using buttermilk. If not, you can add a tablespoon of vinegar to your milk as a substitute.

Harte

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
1 hour ago, Harte said:

Hope you're using buttermilk. If not, you can add a tablespoon of vinegar to your milk as a substitute.

Harte

I am — and that’s precisely what I did. Turned out great. 

—Jaylemurph 
 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
15 hours ago, Windowpane said:

(Stinging nettles)

Well: I tried making nettle soup last year, and it was ghastly.  But, given the present climate, I should probably have another go ...

Did you add anything else?

I just use it as a additive for it's nutritional value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Windowpane
11 hours ago, Piney said:

Did you add anything else?

I just use it as a additive for it's nutritional value. 

Well ...  I've just had another go, using this recipe.

Although a certain family member looked at it askance, nose upturned, it wasn't actually too bad - better than my attempt last year, anyway.  (Probably the cream helped).

I had loads of nettles left over, which my neighbour (the professional cook) has taken.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
6 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Well ...  I've just had another go, using this recipe.

Although a certain family member looked at it askance, nose upturned, it wasn't actually too bad - better than my attempt last year, anyway.  (Probably the cream helped).

I had loads of nettles left over, which my neighbour (the professional cook) has taken.

Cream of potato soup with nettles is good but I don't use leeks or butter. I do use celery and garlic. Sometimes red bell peppers. 

I grow them along our driveway fence but there is a whole field of them next to the Cohansey River. I gather them young, bag them and stick them in the chest freezer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Windowpane
1 hour ago, Piney said:

... Sometimes red bell peppers. 

I grow them along our driveway fence but there is a whole field of them next to the Cohansey River. I gather them young, bag them and stick them in the chest freezer. 

Alas!  None to be found growing wild where I live ...

You have to make do with nettles and thistles.

Apparently, you can make things with thistles, too (although that I really have never tried): https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6391/thistles-in-almond-sauce

Thistle Soup Recipe

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
41 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Apparently, you can make things with thistles, too (although that I really have never tried): https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6391/thistles-in-almond-sauce

I made thistle sauce. 

I can make food with pretty much anything growing around me and did exactly that when I was living in my camper. Of course I had a full chef's galley. :yes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Windowpane
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I made thistle sauce. 

I can make food with pretty much anything growing around me and did exactly that when I was living in my camper. Of course I had a full chef's galley. :yes:

Of course, you have to make sure that it's not poisonous ...

For instance, there are various mushrooms and toadstools you'd want to avoid ... and some species of mangrove that have to be pre-treated before they're edible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
27 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

For instance, there are various mushrooms and toadstools you'd want to avoid ... and some species of mangrove that have to be pre-treated before they're edible.

I avoid all fungus except morels. The Eastern U.S. has quite a few "fool mees" which will make you extremely ill. 

I'm a multi-generational "Medicine Man" and First Nations tracker who taught some of the upper echelon of the SAS a few things.

 I'm more than versed on wild edibles.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The_Spartan

When i started in UM, i was actually sitting on the fence.
My first post, i guess was about 2012

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The_Spartan

The second is my thread of T. Lobsang Rampa aka Cyril Henry Hoskin. and my comments on his works.
I was still sitting on the Fence. Now i have torn up the fence, set fire to it and am now a hardcore skeptic, atheist, anti-theist and woo woo basher.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hanslune
On 4/6/2020 at 9:06 AM, The_Spartan said:

When i started in UM, i was actually sitting on the fence.
My first post, i guess was about 2012

 

I hope you didn't get any splinters!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
Posted (edited)

Ramp-tha's School of (stone) Enlightening

 

Harte

 

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
Posted (edited)

Stinging rebuke.

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
Posted (edited)

"Geyser boy"

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.