Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Suicidal Teen

Uncle Sam

The Suicidal Teen
By
Mark Dusty Morgan

Back against wall while grasping a knife,
I ponder if I should take my pitiful life.
The Question echoes, "Is Death greater than life itself?"
Cursing loudly, I'm forced to answer this by myself.

My choice like a unbalanced top that sways between life or death,
Cold reasoning crosses my lips, heaven and hell are just a myth.
Quickly I plunge the cold blade while aiming for the perfect vein,
I grimace as It floods up my arm rapidly, the wave of searing hot pain.

Again the question echoes, "Is death greater than life?"
An metal clank echoes in the kitchen as I drop the knife.
I shakenly laugh because soon I will find the answer out,
Having a hard time keeping eyes open, I am blacking out.

The kitchen is getting dark and my body is growing cold,
Weekly smirking, If hell was real, my soul has been sold.
I miss my family, I'm getting real scared now,
Hey mom... dad.... What should I do now?

Anyone there, why won't you answer me?
I'm surrounded by darkness, why can't I see?
Someone please save me from my mistake,
Nothing is working, its too late to stay awake.

I know my choices are bad,
So please help me mom and dad...
The regret is like a tsunami,
Somebody... help... me....

The Suicidal Teen as a phenomenon, the hyping of more provisions for mental health care for the young (in the UK, at least), is something I just don't understand. For the most part, they've still got their physical health, they haven't yet experienced the horrors of having a job --not that they'll ever have a useful, working class job anyway (again, I'm talking about the UK). It's like trying to return a DVD of The Wicker Man or Irreversible to HMV because the vibe is too bleak, after having watched only five minutes. Friend, it gets a lot, lot worse. I concede they may have girlfriend or boyfriend problems, or alienation problems, and that's horrible, I know. But that's life. People are fickle. That's just lesson number _one_ in life. Maybe things are different in America, or maybe I'm just a dick, in which case, I apologise. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2018 at 10:00 AM, Carlos Allende said:

The Suicidal Teen as a phenomenon, the hyping of more provisions for mental health care for the young (in the UK, at least), is something I just don't understand. For the most part, they've still got their physical health, they haven't yet experienced the horrors of having a job --not that they'll ever have a useful, working class job anyway (again, I'm talking about the UK). It's like trying to return a DVD of The Wicker Man or Irreversible to HMV because the vibe is too bleak, after having watched only five minutes. Friend, it gets a lot, lot worse. I concede they may have girlfriend or boyfriend problems, or alienation problems, and that's horrible, I know. But that's life. People are fickle. That's just lesson number _one_ in life. Maybe things are different in America, or maybe I'm just a dick, in which case, I apologise. 

What you said above does not make you sound like a dick at all. 

On 7/1/2018 at 4:00 AM, Carlos Allende said:

I wrote this poem a long time ago to basically deter kids from trying to commit suicide, it was a personal project during high school and it won awards. It is one of the few poems that I got recognition for and people loved it, it basically tells a story of a boy or girl committing suicide and then coming to regret his or her decision. Basically I hoped that this poem, if it could, at least stop one teen or kid from ever committing suicide and that would be a win in my book. Sorry I forgot to add details explaining why I made this poem, putting my heart and soul into it in attempt to save lives. No you are not being a dick, just everyone has their own little lines in the sand which will send them over the edge if it is cross. Some easy to cross and some harder to cross than others, that is why it isn't easy figuring out how to stop those who want to commit this act.

By the way, I never thought about committing suicide in my life but I did loose friends to suicide attempts which lead to me making this poem during my high school years.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, oldrover said:

What you said above does not make you sound like a dick at all. 

No it doesn't make him a dick at all. This a topic that I want people to talk about, to discuss, and to be aware of. You never know when it will happen to them or others in their lives, so it is a good idea to talk about it and try any way to sway them from ever attempting it in the first place. Period.

Edited by Uncle Sam

• 5 weeks later...

I have read different resources all pointing to an increase of mental health problems in teens. That's upsetting because I have two teenagers myself. Personally, I just feel that the new generation is very fortunately in a lot of ways yet they lack resilience whenever they have to face challenges. 

Clinical Psychological Science points to one likely cause: Quoted directly from : https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-personal-renaissance/201801/the-alarming-rise-in-teen-mental-illness

"In surveys of over five hundred thousand American adolescents, psychologist Jean Twenge and her colleagues found that adolescents, especially girls, who spent more time on screen activities (smartphones, Internet, and social media) were significantly more likely to have symptoms of depression and suicidal ideation than those who spent their time on non-screen activities: sports, exercise, reading books and magazines, attending religious services, interacting in person, even doing their homework."