Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Completes Webb Telescope Review

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Completes Webb Telescope Review, Commits to Launch in Early 2021

The Independent Review Board (IRB) established by NASA to assess progress on its James Webb Space Telescope has unanimously recommended that development on the world’s premier science observatory should continue; NASA has established a new launch date for Webb of March 30, 2021.

A report issued by the review board addresses a range of factors influencing Webb’s schedule and performance, including the technical challenges and tasks remaining by primary contractor Northrop Grumman before launch.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Should take this time to upgrade some tech and reduce weight. 

Which would require major work, increase the delays by many years and add billions to an already late and over budget project.

• Thanks 1

Perfect example of Nasa incompetence. If this were a privately held company there is NO WAY they would be over budget by 5.5x and still have a job. The program would have been cut. The article did not say but I am willing to bet and I could be wrong but that the majority of the people involved in this program have not been cut and replaced with competent people.

It would have been better and cheaper had Nasa just asked the Indian Space agency to do it for them. Probably would have cost a tenth of the cost of the original. Man has NASA fallen over the decades. I hope Trumps Space army gets things inline again.

1 hour ago, Nzo said:

Perfect example of Nasa incompetence. If this were a privately held company there is NO WAY they would be over budget by 5.5x and still have a job. original. 

A perfect example of a post from someone with an anti-NASA agenda and no clue what they are talking about.

Most of the work on this project was done by prime contractor Northrop Grumman and main subcontractor Ball Aerospace... both privately held companies, which rather blows a hole in your argument.

1 hour ago, Nzo said:

It would have been better and cheaper had Nasa just asked the Indian Space agency to do it for them. Probably would have cost a tenth of the cost of the original. 

Cheaper may be. Better, you must be joking. ISRO'S doesn't have the experience, technology or expertise to produce a space telescope of this sophistication. 

Maybe you think it is better to have a cheap telescope that doesn't work than an expensive one that doesn't. If it had been left up to people that think like you then the huge steps forward that Webbs predecessor, Hubble, have produced over the last few decades would never have happened, after all that was also late and over budget.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

A perfect example of a post from someone with an anti-NASA agenda and no clue what they are talking about.

Most of the work on this project was done by prime contractor Northrop Grumman and main subcontractor Ball Aerospace... both privately held companies, which rather blows a hole in your argument.

Cheaper may be. Better, you must be joking. ISRO'S doesn't have the experience, technology or expertise to produce a space telescope of this sophistication. 

Maybe you think it is better to have a cheap telescope that doesn't work than an expensive one that doesn't. If it had been left up to people that think like you then the huge steps forward that Webbs predecessor, Hubble, have produced over the last few decades would never have happened, after all that was also late and over budget.

There is no 'hole' in my argument. The funds are being supplied by the government, Nasa manages those funds and gives contracts to sub contractors etc. Trust me if any private corporation had to fund this on their own without government money they would have scrapped it long ago. They would not even do it because there is no profit in it unless you get the stupid government to fund it then go 5.5x over budget. Nasa currently is a massive failure and projects like this are perfect examples of how mismanaged and I will say corrupt Nasa has become. Everyone at Nasa involved in this project should be fired, no severance, no two weeks. I mean grab your crap, literally kicked out the door, with investigations placed on all senior managers to see who is profiting from this stuff. You would think people with PHDs would have a sense of honor and duty but it seems they are the same petty criminals you find at your local bar. 5.5x the original projected cost.... absolutely ridiculous. I bring up the Indian Space Agency just to show how corrupt Nasa and their sub contractors have become.

OMG! The bolts might fall off, Lets now spend another billion dollars figuring out how to keep the bolts from coming off. If we have to we will create a substance from scratch to make sure bolts remain in place whatever the cost!.... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-20-fl-oz-Threadlocker-Red-271-209741/100371833?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100371826-_-100371833-_-N